Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venceremos View Post
    ugh eyeroll
    It needs a retirement, doesn't it?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yang & Reis is an automatic buy for me. Looking good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by scottshamel View Post
    I watched the stream. It played fine on my end they only mentioned the future state books. Didn't mention anything or showed anything about books coming in March.
    Seriously? They announce for every book but not for the Superbooks? What kind of bs is this.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Seriously? They announce for every book but not for the Superbooks? What kind of bs is this.
    Odds are they will have a separate big splashy announcement for Superman and Action. The only thing we can glean from this non announcement is that the Future State teams aren't continuing with the those two titles as we are seeing with most of the other announcements this weekend.

It lends credence to the rumor that Waid is taking over the writing side of the equation come March. He returning to DC to write his favorite character after so many previous "near misses" with getting the gig is a big announcement that DC probably wants to make more of a big deal.

Whatever happens though, that team on Batman/Superman will make me pick up that book. Gene Yang and Ivan Reis? Hell yes.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-07-2020 at 03:38 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

It's obvious what's going on. Anything being written by the Future State writer has been announced. Anything written by someone else hasn't. We'll still hear about those in the next five days, considering Friday should be solicits day.

For example, Sheridan was announced to be doing Teen Titans. But not Shazam, so if he has a new book, it's by someone else.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-07-2020 at 03:38 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Just repost what I wrote on the DC Future State thread:

Superman probably not keeping the creative teams from Future State, makes me think that the direction of FS, at least on Superman case, are not that important.

We know that Batman, Detective, JLD, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Green Lanterns and some others will have threads introduced on Future State carring over and that the writers will mostly be continuing the work they started and they actually are planning some of this stuff for some time. Superman not having the same creative indicates two possibilities, first that Future State won't matter to the Superman line, the new creative team will just do what they want and FS will be just a couple of months of cool stuff, the other is that the next creative team will have an editorial mandate dictating the creative direction the line will go to acomodate whatever will be teased on Future State.
    I really hope is no the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Venceremos View Post
    ugh eyeroll
    I feel like this fandom has become a little too contentious when it comes to "hope."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Just repost what I wrote on the DC Future State thread:

Superman probably not keeping the creative teams from Future State, makes me think that the direction of FS, at least on Superman case, are not that important.

We know that Batman, Detective, JLD, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Green Lanterns and some others will have threads introduced on Future State carring over and that the writers will mostly be continuing the work they started and they actually are planning some of this stuff for some time. Superman not having the same creative indicates two possibilities, first that Future State won't matter to the Superman line, the new creative team will just do what they want and FS will be just a couple of months of cool stuff, the other is that the next creative team will have an editorial mandate dictating the creative direction the line will go to acomodate whatever will be teased on Future State.
    I really hope is no the later.
    I guess we won't see Superman exiled from Earth or Jon taking over to a major extent.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Odds are they will have a separate big splashy announcement for Superman and Action. The only thing we can glean from this non announcement is that the Future State teams aren't continuing with the those two titles as we are seeing with most of the other announcements this weekend.

It lends credence to the rumor that Waid is taking over the writing side of the equation come March. He returning to DC to write his favorite character after so many previous "near misses" with getting the gig is a big announcement that DC probably wants to make more of a big deal.

Whatever happens though, that team on Batman/Superman will make me pick up that book. Gene Yang and Ivan Reis? Hell yes.
    Yeah, maybe they're just waiting to go big with a dial it to 11 announcement for the two books. Shoot, they sure promoted the hell out of the Bendis run when it was forthcoming. I was seeing those one page ads in my sleep. On the other hand, maybe they learned their lesson from the overkill promo stuff with Bendis and wanna dial it back a notch. At the very least, Yang Reis will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

My thoughts as well.

Since they’re announcing the new Superman creatives separately, I demand we get a big splash page like Hickman X-Men or Cloonan WW spread

Seriously I love that, and I want one for Superman with all his Rogues and his Family Members.

We’ve debated who will be writing but who do you guys think will be on art? Reis is moving to Batman/Superman and I hope to God Romita Jr. is leaving too. Who is available that you guys think would be a good fit? It’s a shame that Brad Walker is leaving DC, I loved his pages in Morrison’s Action and was always hoping he would do more Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since they’re announcing the new Superman creatives separately, I demand we get a big splash page like Hickman X-Men or Cloonan WW spread

Seriously I love that, and I want one for Superman with all his Rogues and his Family Members.

We’ve debated who will be writing but who do you guys think will be on art? Reis is moving to Batman/Superman and I hope to God Romita Jr. is leaving too. Who is available that you guys think would be a good fit? It’s a shame that Brad Walker is leaving DC, I loved his pages in Morrison’s Action and was always hoping he would do more Superman.
    You know DC's monkey's paw doesn't work that way. Hell, invoking it probably means JRJR is writing and drawing Action now. We got Truth last time he had any input on the writing, wanting to make Lois almost adversarial to Clark. So who knows.

Losing Walker does suck. I enjoyed him wherever he turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You know DC's monkey's paw doesn't work that way. Hell, invoking it probably means JRJR is writing and drawing Action now. We got Truth last time he had any input on the writing, wanting to make Lois almost adversarial to Clark. So who knows.

Losing Walker does suck. I enjoyed him wherever he turned up.
    Lmao, it’s crazy how much Romita has declined. I just read Man Without Fear by him & Miller, and good God the decline in both writing and art from then to now is insane. Their modern day work is like some hackish novices are trying to imitate their style badly. I get that Romita Jr. is tight with Bendis, Miller, and others but the dude needs to revamp his style because it is just ugly as hell. His New 52 work was much better than this, I liked his Silencer stuff also, but he’s just phoning it in here. Hopefully Bendis takes him with him to his next project.

I’m trying to think of who is available for Supes. Would be nice if Waid is indeed getting the books if he can get Yu and Samnee on board.

Lmao, it’s crazy how much Romita has declined. I just read Man Without Fear by him & Miller, and good God the decline in both writing and art from then to now is insane. Their modern day work is like some hackish novices are trying to imitate their style badly. I get that Romita Jr. is tight with Bendis, Miller, and others but the dude needs to revamp his style because it is just ugly as hell. His New 52 work was much better than this, I liked his Silencer stuff also, but he’s just phoning it in here. Hopefully Bendis takes him with him to his next project.

I’m trying to think of who is available for Supes. Would be nice if Waid is indeed getting the books if he can get Yu and Samnee on board.
    I don't know what happened to Miller but I think Romita actually got injured, like Porter, so there's that. I've seen JRJR turn in excellent work at Marvel and some of his DC stuff isn't bad, but somehow his worst work always comes to the Superman books. Some of them are uneven, where he's turning out some good pages, but I've yet to see any Superman project from him that I've been satisfied with cover-to-cover. It's just not the right fit for him.

I get the feeling he'd work very well on something with less emphasis on faces/hair (like Spider-Man or Sideways or some such), or something less rigid and more free-flowing (Metal Men). A lot of his current art feels very stiff and I wonder if he just needs to be able to go for broke to unlock him. The dude has hit some very high highs and I just don't know what's going on. I want to like his DC work but it's just not in the cards, sadly.

We kind of got something like this with the big splash page in Superman Reborn after the Supermen fused.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We kind of got something like this with the big splash page in Superman Reborn after the Supermen fused.
    I know but I wish Gleason had done the art for that. Wish we could’ve gotten more of his designs for Superman Rogues, I loved his Parasite headshot in Bendis Action. Mahnke is great but the art for that page didn’t really “pop” the way these ads usually do, probably on account of the colorist using darker shades.