Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    An informative analysis of Bendis' run in regards to sale numbers from a more fair-minded than most commentator (one of the very few I respect on Youtube) -

Good video. Good stats, confirms what we already know. Bendis run on Superman was an absolute unmitigated failure of epic proportion lol. A dumpster fire.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Good video. Good stats, confirms what we already know. Bendis run on Superman was an absolute unmitigated failure of epic proportion lol. A dumpster fire.
    It was also creatively bankrupt, IMO: faux OMD that cucked Clark to himself(!), a meaningless identity reveal, aging up Jon, the over-hyped introduction of Nuclear Man, the unending focus on & retcons around Rogal Freakin' Zaar arguably the most boring & poorly designed (the dude looks like a cross between Lobo and Doomsday with dental problems) Super-Man villain ever, exact. Only Red Cloud was something of a hit, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-09-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Bendis haters be like

spoilers:
    I am also guilty of this for creators I don’t like
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Please not Janin. My vote is for Jimenez or Shaner
    If Waid is the new writer, IMHO it is way more likely we will get Shaner over Janin (not that I'd have anything against Janin anyway).
    With few exceptions, most of the artists Waid has worked with share some common traits - they basically all create realistic art with some stylized, vaguely cartoon-ish elements (the cartoon-ish traits may vary, of course). That's Samnee, Shaner, Wieringo (who was more cartoonish) for you, etc. Again: with some exceptions (see Alex Ross). If Waid will be in a position to choose his artist, it is very likely that he will get Shaner over Janin.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis haters be like

spoilers:
    I am also guilty of this for creators I don’t like
    end of spoilers
    The thing is I don't hate Bendis but I do hate his work on Super-Man. I loved what he did at Marvel especially his creation of Miles Morales and work on Ultimate Spider-Man in general. Don't assume I, or anyone else, hates a creative because we find a run of their's objectionable that's being intellectually lazy and dishonest.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    If Waid is the new writer, IMHO it is way more likely we will get Shaner over Janin (not that I'd have anything against Janin anyway).
    With few exceptions, most of the artists Waid has worked with share some common traits - they basically all create realistic art with some stylized, vaguely cartoon-ish elements (the cartoon-ish traits may vary, of course). That's Samnee, Shaner, Wieringo (who was more cartoonish) for you, etc. Again: with some exceptions (see Alex Ross). If Waid will be in a position to choose his artist, it is very likely that he will get Shaner over Janin.
    Manupal feels more likely than Shaner imo. Shaner can’t keep up with the demands of an ongoing unless he’s only doing half like with Strange Adventures. And Manupal’s Superman stuff has all been glorious imo.

Astonishing Member

Manupal feels more likely than Shaner imo. Shaner can’t keep up with the demands of an ongoing unless he’s only doing half like with Strange Adventures. And Manupal’s Superman stuff has all been glorious imo.
    Yes, I agree. It will probably be Manapul. There are several potential clues which points at him (including his Superman cover for Endless Winter).
    Janin would have been the artist if PKJ had stayed on the title. Very "physical" and muscular, in The Last God style. I actually wouldn't exclude to see PKJ at wok on something Superman related sooner or later - I am not that familiar with him, but he seems to be an interesting writer, and his forthcoming contribution to Superman with Future State looks intriguing.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Yes, I agree. It will probably be Manapul. There are several potential clues which points at him (including his Superman cover for Endless Winter).
    Janin would have been the artist if PKJ had stayed on the title. Very "physical" and muscular, in The Last God style. I actually wouldn't exclude to see PKJ at wok on something Superman related sooner or later - I am not that familiar with him, but he seems to be an interesting writer, and his forthcoming contribution to Superman with Future State looks intriguing.
    DC does seem to be grooming him for bigger books, but Marvel is also offering him work. He’s on Aliens (although Larocca art shows it’s not a high profile book lmao). Guess we’ll see if he progresses on to bigger books at DC.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Samnee won't be a candidate for Waid if indeed he does get to write Supes if only because he's already doing work for Kirkman with Fire power. Unless of course, he's a fast artist and even then I doubt it. I'd vote for Jimenez, Janin and Shaner.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

DC does seem to be grooming him for bigger books, but Marvel is also offering him work. He’s on Aliens (although Larocca art shows it’s not a high profile book lmao). Guess we’ll see if he progresses on to bigger books at DC.
    I mean THE LAST GOD is a prestige book put out by DC's Black Label. An original fantasy book. It's something that can exist on shelves for a long time to come, and potentially a lot 'bigger' a book than a Superman title. I'm being nitpicky here but I'm not sure it's fair to say PKJ is being 'groomed', he's just a legit writer. I haven't read tLG (fantasy isn't typically my flavour) but it is a very interesting book for DC.

I'd love to see him do a Superman book, but looks like it'll be Waid unfortunately.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-09-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Now that you mention it...Asrar/Kubert on Avengers, Humberto Ramos on Champions, Jesus Saiz on Dr. Strange...

Although putting it that way it's like I'm expecting a lot of artist jumping ship like when Bendis came over .

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I mean THE LAST GOD is a prestige book put out by DC's Black Label. An original fantasy book. It's something that can exist on shelves for a long time to come, and potentially a lot 'bigger' a book than a Superman title. I'm being nitpicky here but I'm not sure it's fair to say PKJ is being 'groomed', he's just a legit writer. I haven't read tLG (fantasy isn't typically my flavour) but it is a very interesting book for DC.

I'd love to see him do a Superman book, but looks like it'll be Waid unfortunately.
    How’s it selling? I am curious to know if it’s found an audience for itself, or at least what DC’s expectations for it are.

You’re right that looking at doing corporate owned books as the “top” isn’t fair, but normally that’s the trajectory. You start off doing indie stuff, then you get bit gigs here and there, then DC & Marvel give you stuff during events like FS to test you out, then you get a book and work your way “up” to Batman or whatever, and then you leave to go do your own indie work again with the audience you build doing cape books hopefully following you. PKJ has followed that trajectory so far, some like Orlando don’t work out, others like Vaughn manage to succeed solely off of indies.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    I'm pretty sure Samnee won't be a candidate for Waid if indeed he does get to write Supes if only because he's already doing work for Kirkman with Fire power. Unless of course, he's a fast artist and even then I doubt it. I'd vote for Jimenez, Janin and Shaner.
    I’d love for him to bring Jesus Saiz or Mahmud Asrar over to DC again.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m having a brain fart. Who’s PKJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m having a brain fart. Who’s PKJ?
    Phillip Kennedy Johnson. Writer of The Last God, Superman: Worlds of War, Superman: House of El, and Aliens over at Marvel. He’s done some indie work as well like Kill A Man with Orlando.