Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Bruce wouldn't be "going anywhere" though. Same for Clark (and Diana). They'd have books, wear some version of their suits, and punch some version of a bad guy.....just not on the "main stage". Plus, they'd all three still have their alternate books like Red & Blue, Black & White, Urban Legends, and Sensational. That's not even mentioning Black Label stuff that we know is coming or already here using them.

I'd even wager Red & Blue and Sensational were made *specifically* to soften the blow for rage ready turbo nerds. They now get to go "HA! Jon may have Superman, but Red & Blue is fine AAAAARRRTTTT!"

I think it's all more possible than people might think. I feel like 5G was just a more wholesale and aggressive version of this with little to no olive branch or slow rollout, and a likely timeskip that would make even the idea of the older heroes coming back harder to believe.
    Right but the idea of shuffling Bruce off to the side makes me skeptical. Bruce is the draw for DC, they rely pretty hard on Batman to keep themselves afloat given how badly they’ve handled their other characters. I’m not saying you’re wrong, what you’re saying makes sense, just that the idea of DC willingly putting aside their cash cow to focus on new characters doesn’t feel like DC to me

And the olive branch definitely worked, just need them to extend the minis now lol. Extremely excited for Blue & Red.

Literally just dawned on me that Sean Lewis (dude who is writing Future State Jon) is actually getting the Jimmy Olsen back up in Superman.

He's totally going to be writing Superman #1 staring Jon Kent in like a year after the status quo change by PKJ.
    I do hope Lewis and Watters end up getting Superman books, their back catalog seems to be even stronger than PKJ, Watters especially could do some great Superman stuff. Whether that’s with Jon or Clark doesn’t matter too much to me. Might end up being Superboy #1 though, depends on if you’re right about DC.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And the olive branch definitely worked, just need them to extend the minis now lol. Extremely excited for Blue & Red.

I do hope Lewis and Watters end up getting Superman books, their back catalog seems to be even stronger than PKJ, Watters especially could do some great Superman stuff. Whether that’s with Jon or Clark doesn’t matter too much to me. Might end up being Superboy #1 though, depends on if you’re right about DC.
    If my theory proves true, then I bet they roll out Waid's Black Label Superman book around the same time as the new Jon #1.

And Superboy #1 is something I've certainly thought of, yeah. More than possible. But even then, I'd have to image it would function as "The Next Superman #1" in all but name. With Tim Fox already here, and seemingly in his 20s, I don't foresee a "Batboy" equivalent. Unless he takes Batwing from his brother (which seems like an odd round about way to go). But like Wonder Girl will, both would still effectively function as next gen Superman and Batman in all but name.

So maybe at most they don't change the names yet, just to play semantics with the nerds even while still effectively doing the change.

What's really interesting is that Lewis no matter the title of the book could effectively inject some indie vibes in Jon's word, and that sounds pretty amazing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

If my theory proves true, then I bet they roll out Waid's Black Label Superman book around the same time as the new Jon #1.

And Superboy #1 is something I've certainly thought of, yeah. More than possible. But even then, I'd have to image it would function as "The Next Superman #1" in all but name. With Tim Fox already here, and seemingly in his 20s, I don't foresee a "Batboy" equivalent. Unless he takes Batwing from his brother (which seems like an odd round about way to go). But like Wonder Girl will, both would still effectively function as next gen Superman and Batman in all but name.

So maybe at most they don't change the names yet, just to play semantics with the nerds even while still effectively doing the change.

What's really interesting is that Lewis no matter the title of the book could effectively inject some indie vibes in Jon's word, and that sounds pretty amazing.
    Lewis and Watters are both horror writers and I’m dying for someone to write a Superman horror story. If either of them got a Superman book I might finally get my wish!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Lewis and Watters are both horror writers and I’m dying for someone to write a Superman horror story. If either of them got a Superman book I might finally get my wish!
    Yeah I'm with you (and we both seem to agree Parasite is the guy to do it with).

Even so, and this probably kills my bud Flash Gordon, I still want Yang before Watters and Russell around the same, if not a hair over him.

So what I'm saying is it's time to relaunch Adventures of Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah I'm with you (and we both seem to agree Parasite is the guy to do it with).

Even so, and this probably kills my bud Flash Gordon, I still want Yang before Watters and Russell around the same, if not a hair over him.

So what I'm saying is it's time to relaunch Adventures of Superman!
    I really hope Yang does a story in Blue & Red if he’s not going to be doing any work on the main guy in B/S (which looks amazing to me so no complaints with him going off to his own corner and doing his thing).

I really hope Yang does a story in Blue & Red if he’s not going to be doing any work on the main guy in B/S (which looks amazing to me so no complaints with him going off to his own corner and doing his thing).
    Yeah, he's a major talent but given DC's typical three-year promise on talent (essentially, in the 20+ years I've been reading, writers get about 3 years to make a big hit before being phased out slowly. A recent example seems to be Orlando) I feel this may be Yang's big moment and B/S is certainly a decent vehicle to make a splash with. Superman Smashes the Klan ruled, and I hope that solidified his place at DC. He is very talented and has a great vision for whichever projects of his I read, so I want to see him eventually get his shot at a proper run on the Man of Tomorrow. I don't want Yang to get the Waid treatment of being able to deliver solid work all the time (and some seminal classics) and still be denied the one thing everyone knows he really wants to tackle.

While I normally suggest Shaner on everything, I really want to see Yang and Melnikov work together on Superman-- perhaps B&R is the place where that could happen!

Yeah, he's a major talent but given DC's typical three-year promise on talent (essentially, in the 20+ years I've been reading, writers get about 3 years to make a big hit before being phased out slowly. A recent example seems to be Orlando) I feel this may be Yang's big moment and B/S is certainly a decent vehicle to make a splash with. Superman Smashes the Klan ruled, and I hope that solidified his place at DC. He is very talented and has a great vision for whichever projects of his I read, so I want to see him eventually get his shot at a proper run on the Man of Tomorrow. I don't want Yang to get the Waid treatment of being able to deliver solid work all the time (and some seminal classics) and still be denied the one thing everyone knows he really wants to tackle.

While I normally suggest Shaner on everything, I really want to see Yang and Melnikov work together on Superman-- perhaps B&R is the place where that could happen!
    I think Smashes the Klan was his big moment. From what I’ve seen that sold well, reviewed well, and very much is going to be a perennial seller. New Super-Man was what convinced DC to keep him around, after his New 52 Superman was a flop, Yang said he was considering moving on until Lee pitched the idea of a Chinese Superman to him. I hope B/S will be a big success for him, it looks great!

Does that JL roster seem odd to anyone else? Not in the sense that it's a bad line up by any stretch of the imagination, but rather it's the fact that Bruce, Clark, and even Arthur to an extent look kind of out of place.

If the speculation that Jon is indeed taking over duties as Superman in the Superman book in a years time while Clark is off in space with Action, then one would assume he'd also join the JL too.

Future State does say that Clark leaving Earth is actually a relatively near future thing, and the very same goes for Bruce's "death". And in Arthurs case, you could just say he's pulling back to be with his family. Naomi being on the team takes off any sort of "ya gotta be 21 to join" cap (if there ever was one), so in about a year's time (real world) I could see the JL roster being what we have, but with the addition of Jon, Tim (Fox), and maybe Jackson

That'd play up the "we're what's up next vibe" multi generational deal, and add a layer of internal crossgnerational conflict and room for understanding that Bendis enjoys playing with. Because as of right now Naomi is conspicuously alone repping the new age, and that seems decidedly odd given how big a deal they're making over playing with Future State ideas in the present.

_________

I can see PKJ handing off the Superman book (with a new #1) to the Future State writer a year down the line once he's set up everything for Jon as 17 or 18 year old Superman, and then focusing on space Clark adventures with Action's legacy numbering.
    Aquaman only looks out of place to me because DC still refuses to let him wear a shirt for stupid, outdated, synergy reasons.

Although if it means shaving off characters from Bendis' JL, probably for the best.

I think Smashes the Klan was his big moment. From what I’ve seen that sold well, reviewed well, and very much is going to be a perennial seller. New Super-Man was what convinced DC to keep him around, after his New 52 Superman was a flop, Yang said he was considering moving on until Lee pitched the idea of a Chinese Superman to him. I hope B/S will be a big success for him, it looks great!
    I want to think so as well, but I also worry that unless he gets a hit in the direct market, they'll avoid giving him more work there despite his hit with SStK. Obviously I don't know anything behind-the-scenes at the industry, but I quite enjoy Yang and aside from New 52 Superman (which was far from his desired take to write about) I have yet to read a Yang DC comic I didn't enjoy a whole lot. I really want DC to have noticed how wonderful SStK was and how underrated NS-M (which I only read after it concluded because I'm a colossal idiot) and the Terrifics are. Time will tell, but I'm pulling both covers for B/S to show DC I want them to give him more work... And because both covers are dope I mean are you kidding me look at them! I'm running out of space for long boxes seriously please send help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aquaman only looks out of place to me because DC still refuses to let him wear a shirt for stupid, outdated, synergy reasons.

Although if it means shaving off characters from Bendis' JL, probably for the best.
    KSD's run gave us the compromise all Aquafans could shake on-- it was neutral ground, dammit. Orange shirt, trimmed beard and long-but-not-unkempt hair. I ride with you on the Clean-shaven, Shirt-and-Short-Hair Arthur Express and even I was good with it.

And now the tats. Why, dammit!

The entire world is upside down right now and I'm bemoaning a fish man getting some ink. I love this hobby so much.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-18-2020 at 05:07 PM.

I'd love to see more DC work from Gurihiru .

I'd love to see more DC work from Gurihiru .
    Super Sons, Shazam or perhaps Batgirls would be where I'd like to see them work. They'd kill it on Harley but we'd part ways there.

KSD's run gave us the compromise all Aquafans could shake on-- it was neutral ground, dammit. Orange shirt, trimmed beard and long-but-not-unkempt hair. I ride with you on the Clean-shaven, Shirt-and-Short-Hair Arthur Express and even I was good with it.

And now the tats. Why, dammit!

The entire world is upside down right now and I'm bemoaning a fish man getting some ink. I love this hobby so much.
    I hated the shirt. Way too casual for what it's supposed to be. But I guess it's easier to take off for shirtless scenes .
    Super Sons, Shazam or perhaps Batgirls would be where I'd like to see them work. They'd kill it on Harley but we'd part ways there.
    They would fit pretty well on all of them.

I hated the shirt. Way too casual for what it's supposed to be. But I guess it's easier to take off for shirtless scenes .

They would fit pretty well on all of them.
    I say shirt when I mean the orange scale-mail top. I can't type scale shirt without getting immediately uncomfortable thinking about what that feels like. :P

Thank the Comic Book Gods it is finally over, sort of.... To bad his atrocious changes aren't hitting the road with him....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Bendis, who never puts the toys back in the box when he's done