Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

I think Bendis on Superman was...decent.

I think he had interesting ideas and he brought some consistency to the title in his own way even if I didn't love all his ideas and I feel like he still fell prey to his issues as a writer. I didn't love his Superman so I'm not too worked up about him leaving, and it felt like it was over pretty quickly, but I can respect what he tried to bring to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

This is not bad at all.I was going for a powerlifters gear similar to this design.i would also keep the red a bit more lower than that in the thigh area like this.
    Superman with thigh highs? That's an interesting look.

Overall it feels kind of messy compared to the classic. Not something I would care for past a cover.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm conflicted. I didn't hate Bendis' run. In fact I've generally enjoyed it. He managed to do the secret identity reveal story in a way that sort of made sense and didn't make me reflexively hate it,and I liked his early efforts to merge the bronze age with the pre death Triangle era,but frankly I feel its probably time for something new,and to be honest I'm relieved we aren't getting Jon replacing his dad at least in main continuity.

I do hope that whomever follows just doesn't go back to the same ol same ol status quo and just sweep the last couple years away immediately. I mean,its inevitable the secret identity goes back in the bottle at some point, but I frankly liked that and a few other of the ideas he and his other collaborators cooked up and It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to explore stuff like an "out" Clark Kent being both public Superman and ace reporter,Jimmy owning the Daily Planet, Superman being positioned as a representative of Earth to basically the galactic United nations,etc. I could do without some of the more problematic stuff (The way he's written Lois at times, the whole Jon/JorEl age up stuff etc.)

Was Bendis run this fantastic memorable run that I'm sure DC wanted? No. But let's be real,are things with Superman's status quo now as bad as they were in 2011 just prior to the New 52 and the shambles the whole shebang was following the clusterfuck that was "Truth"? In my opinion,Not by a long shot.Frankly though after that dark period things could only improve. Superman as a whole may not be in tip top shape,but it could be much much much much worse. I've read and seen much worse.

Bendis (and his immediate predecessors ) did manage to bring a level of consistency and stability to the creative side of Superman we really hadn't seen in a long time. It may not have been to everyone's tastes,but it wasnt a schizophrenic mess of different takes and ideas and false starts and dead ends we had from about 2009-2015 ish. There was some good in there (mostly the stuff published under the Action Comics logo from 2010 on ) but the vast majority of the rest of that period was sheer chaos and ultimately, was crap. Pretty much anything not written by either Grant Morrison or Greg Pak ultimately just plain sucked in my opinion and ultimately drove me away for a time.

The Rebirth and Bendis era never reached the high points of the best parts of the new 52 era,but there was nothing that made me want to rant and rage quit either during that time as the many low points of the New 52 often made me do. Frankly I'll take that as a win. I'm sure many of you will disagree. Those of you who are relieved now that Bendis is leaving, I'm happy for you. It's not fun to be driven away by stuff you feel is bad or offensive to the brand/character. Believe me I sympathize.

Hopefully we can all look forward to a brighter future going forward.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-11-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Bendis run stumbled at places, primarily Jon Kent getting aged up, but it has a lot of good stuff in it. He stuck Clark outing his identity to the world about as well as anyone could hope-- it felt very authentic to who Clark is, even if how we got there was a bit weird. I'm not happy he's leaving, but I'm hopeful the next runs will be strong.

Here's to hoping we get Yang on one of the titles.

A Yang/Waid Superman office could be pretty interesting, should that happen.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Bleeding Cool seems on-board with a Waid Superman run:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/mark...mics-superman/

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Sigh.

Ideal realistic outcome:

* Bendis/Reis or Bendis/Janin (both?) move on to the 5G Superman book with Jon as the big guy and Clark leading the Authority.

* Gene Yang takes over one of the Super-books for the continuing adventures of post-Truth pre-5G Clark.

* The non-Yang title probably becomes a flashback 'classic' book in the mold of Man of Tomorrow in line with the whole 'Generations' push; that's where the likely outreach to the Rebirth crowd with an appropriately tepid creative team goes, hopefully in place of rolling things back in the present (I'd say this is where Waid goes, but I'm guessing his Superman project is going to be something standalone and substantially higher-profile). Maybe Venditti, maybe Williamson, maybe they even bite the bullet and bring back Jurgens or Tomasi.
    Buh-bye

As much as I'd love to see Tomasi back on this, I'm aware that I'm, like, one of few people here who actually would. And after two divisive authors in a row, it might not be for the best if we were to trade the current for the former XD

Besides, Tomasi's better on Batman anyway.

Williamson has Batman/Superman, don’t think he would take one of the main Superbooks. Tomasi is more likely to get a relaunched Super Sons book since I expect Jon to be deaged and Damian to reclaim Robin. Venditti feels like the obvious choice, he wants to write Superman, he wrote Man of Tomorrow, and he won’t rock the boat at all. Jurgens... it’s possible but man I hope not. Got no interest in him doing another run.

Taylor's still got my vote. I didn't pay much attention to him before but he really won me over with DCeased.

Waid on one title, Yang on the other. That'd be my vote. Retcon Jon's Legion onto another Earth and let Bendis continue his Superman story there if they really want to invest in it. Otherwise it should have zero to do with the main line. You know me, I'd rather that be the only place there was a Jon Kent. I'd let Bendis tell his tale there then deage Jon later as a way to bring back Super Sons and/or the Super Family. But that's probably asking too much. They'd probably double up and restore the kid to the main universe. Either way the secret ID reveal ties into the Jon-Legion stuff so that goes to the other reality, putting the ID back on the main world.

That's what I'd like to see within the realm of what's realistic.

Oh, fwiw my mindset is the catalyst for these changes is just "Death Metal did it". That's what this thing is supposed to do anyway. No extra time beyond that dedicated to the changes or reasonings of. Is it perfect? No. But there's no way to make sense out of all this while retaining the things I think DC will want to retain.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-11-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    As much as I'd love to see Tomasi back on this, I'm aware that I'm, like, one of few people here who actually would. And after two divisive authors in a row, it might not be for the best if we were to trade the current for the former XD

I think a Super Sons relaunch would better suit Tomasi anyway. Jon was the main character of his run, and his characterization is where Tomasi was strongest. When he tried to write Clark solo with a “big” Superman story in Multiplicity it sucked. The Supermen of the Multiverse teamed up and nobody remembers it because it was so dull and forgettable. Does anyone even remember the enemy that forced the Multiversal team up? It was yet another big bald dude who wanted to destroy reality (except he actually had some noble cause for doing so!) in the most generic twist possible. I can’t even remember his name. We all rightfully hate Rogal for being a fat load of nothing but Tomasi’s OCs sucked too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The Bendis run stumbled at places, primarily Jon Kent getting aged up, but it has a lot of good stuff in it. He stuck Clark outing his identity to the world about as well as anyone could hope-- it felt very authentic to who Clark is, even if how we got there was a bit weird. I'm not happy he's leaving, but I'm hopeful the next runs will be strong.

Here's to hoping we get Yang on one of the titles.

A Yang/Waid Superman office could be pretty interesting, should that happen.
    Yeah Yang/Waid would be a great balance. Yang would try new stuff while Waid would want to bring back old stuff and revamp it I feel (now of course Waid has also done new stuff so I’m not saying he’d do a retro run). Feel like that would be a great way to bring in everyone, the people who want new stuff and the people who want old stuff.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Williamson has Batman/Superman, don’t think he would take one of the main Superbooks. Tomasi is more likely to get a relaunched Super Sons book since I expect Jon to be deaged and Damian to reclaim Robin. Venditti feels like the obvious choice, he wants to write Superman, he wrote Man of Tomorrow, and he won’t rock the boat at all. Jurgens... it’s possible but man I hope not. Got no interest in him doing another run.
    Yeah, as much as I loved the Tomasi run and wish we had gotten the 50 issues we never did, I feel like it's time for a new voice. That said, I'd very much like to see a relaunched Super Sons with Tomasi at the helm.

Waid on the Superman title, and Yang or Taylor on Action, and a deaged Jon Kent. I'd be very happy with that result.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I imagine that'd be quite a task to undergo if true, lol
    Heh. I've been doing it the last few months. From 1938, I'm about to start 1953 now (reading Action, Superman, World's Finest, Adventure & Superboy for now). It's going to take a while, but on the plus side, such fun, continuity-light stories!

Bring on Waid on one of the Superman books, and somebody else on the other. It's time.

~G.
    Last edited by HulkSmash!; 09-11-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Is G Willow Wilson still at DC? I'd be interested in her take.

All these other names being floated bore me to tears.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-11-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Damned shame.

Bendis was never the guy I would've pegged for Superman. Not even a fan of Bendis' work, outside of a few big exceptions like Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey. And this run definitely had its stumbles and its missed opportunities and its rushed plots. But this was a better run than we usually get, and Bendis understood this character and his world more than most writers this side of Morrison.

We'll see who the new creators are and whether they build on the new status quo or revert to the tired and boring same-old-same-old. Maybe all the shakeups at DC and AT&T will result in Clark getting better treatment. That'd be a nice change of pace after the last thirty years of Lobdells and Berganzas.

Yang could be fantastic, if DC leaves him the hell alone and lets him write instead of forcing him into idiot crossovers. Smashes the Klan is the best Superman material we've had since All-Star. Waid *might* be good, but a writer who was at his high point twenty years ago isn't the writer I want for Superman right now. Last thing we need is another Jurgens, who's best days are seemingly well behind him (and I him in the 90's, it hurts to say this, but none of Jurgens' modern work does it for me). Taylor could be good, I guess, though I haven't seen him write Clark enough to really know. Williamson....from what I've seen he doesn't get the nuance or duality of the character (or maybe that's just him being forced to write the Bat-Super dynamic) and I'd rather have him on Nightwing or Titans anyway. But I wouldn't be upset if any of these guys got the gig, none of them are bad at their jobs by any stretch.

Was hoping Bendis would stick around until the end of the first quarter of '21, but alas. I suppose I'm glad for all the fans who didn't like Bendis; y'all are getting what you wanted. But as they say, be careful what you wish for; DC has a habit of going from bad to worse with Superman.
    Last edited by Ascended; 09-11-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Is G Willow Wilson still at DC? I'd be interested in her take.

All these other names being floated bore me to tears.
    She's writing more of the Neil Gaiman stuff, but I believe she's still working at DC.

Her WW run didn't knock people's socks off but maybe she just hasn't found the right character for her yet.