Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My theory about Waid is that he is either being given the Super-books (most likely) or he is working on a KC sequel. But that depends on if Ross is coming with him. And my understanding is that they butted heads a lot the first time around. What he plans to do with Superman depends on how much freedom he is being given. Bendis was given more or less free reign to do whatever he wanted. I doubt the new management is likely to give him that. It would be great to get BR back as Superman's official origin though!
    Assassinate Putin!

I know I’m hyping myself up for disappointment, but Yang getting Action Comics and turning that into a Superfamily team book like Tynion’s Tec run would be absolutely perfect for me. Bendis already has Clark, Kon, Jon, and Kara teaming up in Action right now, let Yang continue that and bring in Kenan and maybe Steel and that would be perfect for me. Waid or whoever recoils write the traditional solo Superman in Superman and Yang could build on the Superfamily. He’s shown he can write a good team book in New Superman and Terrifics imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know I’m hyping myself up for disappointment, but Yang getting Action Comics and turning that into a Superfamily team book like Tynion’s Tec run would be absolutely perfect for me. Bendis already has Clark, Kon, Jon, and Kara teaming up in Action right now, let Yang continue that and bring in Kenan and maybe Steel and that would be perfect for me. Waid or whoever recoils write the traditional solo Superman in Superman and Yang could build on the Superfamily. He’s shown he can write a good team book in New Superman and Terrifics imo.
    I'm kind of curious how he'd write the other Supers.

I can see where some people are coming from with Waid. I felt the same way with Jurgens getting another run and I can understand the similarities. I guess my difference with Waid though is that while he is indeed an older talent of the same era, at the same time he never had a run like Jurgens. Hell he never really had a run period, if I remember right didn't he only get to do the occasional fill in issue a couple times and that was it? Beyond that all he DC let him do with Superman was KC then Birthright. So it just seems he might have more to say with the character that isn't an origin or an endgame, because despite being an older talent, he hasn't had the chance to tell the tales that writers like Jurgens already got a chance to do. For me its really just a question of how his skills are as a writer overall these days. I've heard some negative things about his last Marvel works, but not unlike my feeling when Bendis first took over, I don't read Marvel so I'm completely neutral there by default.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I can see where some people are coming from with Waid. I felt the same way with Jurgens getting another run and I can understand the similarities. I guess my difference with Waid though is that while he is indeed an older talent of the same era, at the same time he never had a run like Jurgens. Hell he never really had a run period, if I remember right didn't he only get to do the occasional fill in issue a couple times and that was it? Beyond that all he DC let him do with Superman was KC then Birthright. So it just seems he might have more to say with the character that isn't an origin or an endgame, because despite being an older talent, he hasn't had the chance to tell the tales that writers like Jurgens already got a chance to do. For me its really just a question of how his skills are as a writer overall these days. I've heard some negative things about his last Marvel works, but not unlike my feeling when Bendis first took over, I don't read Marvel so I'm completely neutral there by default.
    He also had a decent run on Justice league after Morrison ended his own. I quite enjoyed his Justice League tenure however short it was and am hoping he does get his chance at Superman again. The guy deserves it imo.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Oh no this is dreadfull news!!!.......... -_- ............ who am I kidding thank God the nightmares over lets retcon this tragedy and move on!

I can see where some people are coming from with Waid.
    You're not wrong; the fact that Waid has been around as long as he has isn't necessarily a mark against him. Conventional wisdom would say its a bonus. And I haven't liked much of the modern stuff I've read of his, but I haven't read a lot in the first place so I *am* being unfair. I mean, people loving the first half of Birthright is one of the few things this fandom *mostly* has in common. We could do far, far worse than Mark Waid.

Honestly? I think a chunk of it for me is that I don't think he'll ever write something as good as his Wally run. I adored that run, and everything he's done since has paled in comparison.

And the other big chunk of it is that I want fresh talent on this character, with fresh eyes and ideas. I want talent that's young and hungry and have something to f*cking say and something to prove. And I don't think Waid's that guy. I think a Waid run would be a lot like that Tom King story; well told and well done....but nothing we haven't seen a hundred times in the past, just written better than usual.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Oh I get it. In the event this happens, that's what I'd want on the other book. With ideally a loose connection so both titles can do their own thing. But on the other hand if we consider that continuity will work the same ole same ole, that can always cause issues in of itself because for so long nothing has been allowed to be disconnected too far. But that would be another thing that I'd hope to see change in this new era. That might be a tall order in of itself though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You're not wrong; the fact that Waid has been around as long as he has isn't necessarily a mark against him. Conventional wisdom would say its a bonus. And I haven't liked much of the modern stuff I've read of his, but I haven't read a lot in the first place so I *am* being unfair. I mean, people loving the first half of Birthright is one of the few things this fandom *mostly* has in common. We could do far, far worse than Mark Waid.

Honestly? I think a chunk of it for me is that I don't think he'll ever write something as good as his Wally run. I adored that run, and everything he's done since has paled in comparison.

And the other big chunk of it is that I want fresh talent on this character, with fresh eyes and ideas. I want talent that's young and hungry and have something to f*cking say and something to prove. And I don't think Waid's that guy. I think a Waid run would be a lot like that Tom King story; well told and well done....but nothing we haven't seen a hundred times in the past, just written better than usual.
    As someone who has read a lot of his modern stuff...maybe he's not "Waid on The Flash" but in comparison to other older writers I think he holds up pretty darn well.

Astonishing Member

A few fill-ins, but nearly everybody in DC management (Didio and Levitz) denied him a shot at Superman. Waid likes to speak his mind and that rubbed certain people up the wrong way. He was highly critical of Harras when he left Marvel so, when he became EiC at DC, there was no way Waid was ever coming back. Now that all 3 are gone, and with Bendis announcing his departure, it seems highly likely Waid might get the one character he has wanted to write more than anyone else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As someone who has read a lot of his modern stuff...maybe he's not "Waid on The Flash" but in comparison to other older writers I think he holds up pretty darn well.
    Waid has to be really invested in the characters he is writing. When he is, that is when he does his best work. All 3 Cap runs have been excellent, his F4 was stellar, DD, all great.

BANNED

The ****?! journey ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I don't know, a lot of the young guys don't appear to be much interest on Superman, we heard guys like Donny Cates talking about his 5 years plans to Batman or his notebook full of Green Lantern ideas and all he says about Superman is tha he may have a take on the character; or Brian Edward Hill who says he likes to write characters reacting to Superman.

Mark Waid wants to write Superman since ever and aside from Elseworld stories, team books and an origin that don't counts anymore he never got the Superman run he wanted, he was actually denied it by DC management as punishment, so while he may not be young, he probably is hungrier than most.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 09-11-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think it is pretty clear now that Bendis accepted the Superman gig with the knowledge 5G was going to happen. His whole run seems like it was building towards Jon eventually assuming the mantle (he pulled the same stunt with Iron-man). Now that 5G is no longer happening, and with Death Metal seemingly paving the way for a reboot, it was inevitable that he would leave sooner than later.

My one question is this: Where will Bendis go now? The book would have to be as high profile as Superman. My guess? Justice League.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't know, a lot of the young guys don't appear to be much interest on Superman, we heard guys like Donny Cates talking about his 5 years plans to Batman or his notebook full of Green Lantern ideas and all he says about Superman is tha he may have a take on the character; or Brian Edward Hill who says he likes to write characters reacting to Superman.

Mark Waid wants to write Superman since ever and aside from Elseworld stories, team books and an origin that don't counts anymore he never got the Superman run he wanted, he was actually denied it by DC management as punishment, so while he may not be young, he probably is hungrier than most.
    Waid was absolutely denied it by Didio. Levitz didn't punish him per se, he just felt Waid was too big a name to have on Superman at the time (Levitz didn't want the creative team to overshadow the character or be the sole reason for readers to pick it up). Waid was certainly never going to get a gig while Harras was there, either.

But I agree. The guy wants Superman bad.