Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's writing more of the Neil Gaiman stuff, but I believe she's still working at DC.

Her WW run didn't knock people's socks off but maybe she just hasn't found the right character for her yet.
    I really doubt Superman would be that character.

G Willow Wilson seems to have problems to wrote pretty powerful characters (that was a big problem in her Wonder Woman run). So, I don't think she will be so good for Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Superman with thigh highs? That's an interesting look.

Overall it feels kind of messy compared to the classic. Not something I would care for past a cover.
    I am well aware that you are not going to get something as iconic as the classic suit, many would find changes daunting to get over. But, i do believe the original suit wasn't meant for ridicule nor to be made into a "dorky suit his mommy made" . Batman gets to be mythic with his suit. He can have omens and superstitions being the reason for the creation of the suit. Superman gets nonsense like that. Anything that doesn't treat the old suit like a relic or the butt of the joke.This suit has that kind of mythic qualities i want. I want them to keep trying. Superman is a gladiator, a strongman,... Etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am well aware that you are not going to get something as iconic as the classic suit, many would find changes daunting to get over. But, i do believe the original suit wasn't meant for ridicule nor to be made into a "dorky suit his mommy made" . Batman gets to be mythic with his suit. He can have omens and superstitions being the reason for the creation of the suit. Superman gets nonsense like that. Anything that doesn't treat the old suit like a relic or the butt of the joke.This suit has that kind of mythic qualities i want. I want them to keep trying. Superman is a gladiator, a strongman,... Etc.
    Honestly, I've never associated the trunks with a gladiator or a strongman (maybe because gladiators were not using trunks over their clothes).

I have no problems with the trunks, but I wouldn't see this as something especially serious. It was just part of the suit.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-11-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I've never associated the trunks with a gladiator or a strongman (maybe because gladiators were not using trunks over their clothes).

I have no problems with the trunks, but I wouldn't see this as something especially serious. It was just part of the suit.

I mean, the suit as a whole not just the trunks. Dude! Read the old goldenage books. There is real undercurrent of gladiator stories. Heck!Especially Spartacus,a working class man rising up breaking chains and taking on the corrupt authorities. He is meant to be like moses at the very least. Guess what moses did? He took on the corrupt state(ramses) to free his people, took them to freedom away from oppression. You can't half ass that portrayal. I need a darkknight returns for superman.His s and shield was used to piss of the police.He wore the gladiator boots and shorts, The strongman suit and capes fashioned by knights and zorro.He wore the dashing Debonair smile of zorro.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-11-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

If it were me, I would have the Superman costume as something that is placed in the rocket with Kal when he is sent to earth. A family heirloom passed down the men in the house of El. Something that the men wear when they reach a certain age and become recognized in the broader society on Krypton. The only thing I would keep is that Clark decides to add his baby blanket as a cape (suggested by Martha as she believes it will make him look more "dashing").

I managed to edit the suit. Is it just me or does Superman look like ippo?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-12-2020 at 02:24 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

So...who would I want on the books now?

I say give at least one of the books to Mark Waid. I haven't been impressed with anything he's done in the last while,but this guy has wanted to write Supes so badly since forever,why not give him a shot.

If he doesn't take both books,I would be ok with Gene Yang taking one,or even both if Waid isn't doing the books. My earlier rant from yesterday I said anything New 52 that wasn't written by Morrison or Pak was crap,but that's not completely true. I wasnt a fan of how "Truth" ended up,but Yang's first few issues were fine. He seems to get Superman's "voice" well . His Superman Smashes the Klan book was good stuff too,so I'd like to see what he could really bring to the table in main continuity without the millstones that were Eddie Berganza and Dan DiDio around his neck.

I think both together or either of them would be a good fit for awhile. Whomever takes over I'd like at least a two year run like we've gotten from the likes of Jurgens and Tomasi and then Bendis. I don't want to see a return to the days where we had a creative turnover every 3-6 months like we were getting there for awhile mixed with unending events and crossovers. That was a nightmare.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-12-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

I say give at least one of the books to Mark Waid. I haven't been impressed with anything he's done in the last while,but this guy has wanted to write Supes so badly since forever,why not give him a shot.

If he doesn't take both books,I would be ok with Gene Yang taking one,or even both if Waid isn't doing the books. My earlier rant from yesterday I said anything New 52 that wasn't written by Morrison or Pak was crap,but that's not completely true. I wasnt a fan of how "Teuth" ended up,but Yang's first few issues were fine. He seems to get Superman's "voice" well . His Superman Smashes the Klan book was good stuff too,so I'd like to see what he could really bring to the table in main continuity without the millstones that were Eddie Berganza and Dan DiDio around his neck.

I think both together or either of them would be a good fit for awhile. Whomever takes over I'd like at least a two year run like we've gotten from the likes of Jurgens and Tomasi and then Bendis. I don't want to see a return to the days where we had a creative turnover every 3-6 months like we were getting there for awhile mixed with unending events and crossovers. That was a nightmare.
    i hope they have an idea what to do with the family as a whole. There are two superboys, a supergirl, a superwoman, a steel, a superdog and on top of that we have the regular metropolis cast.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I really doubt Superman would be that character.

G Willow Wilson seems to have problems to wrote pretty powerful characters (that was a big problem in her Wonder Woman run). So, I don't think she will be so good for Superman.
    Nah, she does not have problems writing powerful characters. I think she'd do a fine job. I'd love to see her voice on the Superman titles.

The fanbase would probably not like it, but the fanbase wants Jurgens over and over.

Cecil Castellucci would be my go-to, but I'm holding out hope that she gets AQUAMAN.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-12-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    She does not have problems writing powerful characters. I think she'd do a great job. I'd love to see her voice on the Superman titles.

The fanbase would probably not like it, but the fanbase wants Jurgens over and over.

Cecil Castellucci would be my go-to, but I'm holding out hope that she gets AQUAMAN.
    Really? What do you like about her Wonder Woman?

I don't think her Wonder Woman was really good. The character doubted her actions all the time, which doesn't fit with a pretty experienced character like her.

Not to mention that her Wonder Woman was weaker that she should be in her run, which is why I think G Willow Wilson has problems to write pretty powerful characters (at least, as protagonists).
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-12-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nah, she does not have problems writing powerful characters. I think she'd do a fine job. I'd love to see her voice on the Superman titles.

I haven't seen anyone clamour for jurgens. As much as the guy loves and respects superman. I do believe superman needs a different voice and personality than the superdad one.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

If he doesn't take both books,I would be ok with Gene Yang taking one,or even both if Waid isn't doing the books. My earlier rant from yesterday I said anything New 52 that wasn't written by Morrison or Pak was crap,but that's not completely true. I wasnt a fan of how "Truth" ended up,but Yang's first few issues were fine. He seems to get Superman's "voice" well . His Superman Smashes the Klan book was good stuff too,so I'd like to see what he could really bring to the table in main continuity without the millstones that were Eddie Berganza and Dan DiDio around his neck.

I’m with you on Yang, at first I thought he just didn’t get it with truth but after reading his work on New Super-man, Superman Smashes the Klan, and the Terrifics (not Superman related except for the Bizarro arc but a favorite series of mine that just ended) it became apparent that he’s not only really good writer but he can do good a Superman if he’s not hampered by editorial. I honestly say give it to Yang and see what he can do when he’s allowed to do his thing on Superman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Really? What do you like about her Wonder Woman?

I don't think her Wonder Woman was really good. The character doubted her actions all the time, which doesn't fit with a pretty experienced character like her.

Not to mention that her Wonder Woman was weaker that she should be in her run, which is why I think G Willow Wilson has problems to write pretty powerful characters (at least, as protagonists).
    Have you read anything she's written beyond the short WONDER WOMAN run she did?

I thought her WONDER WOMAN run was fine, an entertaining superhero title.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-12-2020 at 08:12 AM.

i don't get when people say "writers don't get superman"? As if any of us do.Considering the range of the character . We all have a different version we like in our head and he has distinct voice.

This is the most superman superman i have read.Better than superdad who feels like a wet towel in comparison.Suffice to say i like many parts of truth.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-12-2020 at 08:26 AM.

i don't get when people say "writers don't get superman"? As if any of us do.Considering the range of the character . We all have a different version we like in our hear and he has distinct voice.

This is the most superman superman i have read.Better than superdad who feels like a wet towel in comparison.
    Oh no the Greg Pak stuff in action comics at the time was great and I think really handled well the idea of Superman’s identity being out there and that the people were with him.

I just didn’t care for the main Superman series at the time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.