Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Okay, to the trunks crowd, we tried it your way for two years. Can we come back to the 21st century and get the Rebirth costume back now? There was nothing wrong with it.

I have no real opinion on the Trunks. I think he looks just fine without them but I don't mind when he has them on.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Okay, to the trunks crowd, we tried it your way for two years. Can we come back to the 21st century and get the Rebirth costume back now? There was nothing wrong with it.
    Ok.Counter arguments for reborn suit. Does reborn costume have a thematic connection which connects the design to the story and it's themes? For example, samurai jack's wardrobe, batman's costume or superman's himself when he first was introduced . Can people point to something from the real world to connect tangibly to rebirth design? Yeah! I didn't think so. All they did was replace the trunks with belt and turn the yellow belt into buckle. Which effectively makes it feel like a onesie. Moreover, there is severe lack of red and yellow to break up all the blue, aesthetically.Finally, no matter who tries there would never be a costume as well known or as genre shaping as the original shuster suit. Even batman's costume owes itself to phantom and superman.
    Superman as a strongman who protects the weak wore the suit. Now, why does he wear the suit?Btw, i don't care what he wears. I want a good story and the protagonist to someone i can root for.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-12-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Incredible Member

No. If Waid is (presumably) the writer the Trunks will definitely stay on. Besides AT&T will probably want to stay on brand.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Have you read anything she's written beyond the short WONDER WOMAN run she did?

I thought her WONDER WOMAN run was fine, an entertaining superhero title.
    I admit I don't read a lot from her, but I've read some of her Ms Marvel issues. I think these were pretty good.

I don't think she is a bad writer. In fact, I enjoyed many characters in her Wonder Woman run (unfortunately, Wonder Woman wasn't one of them). I just think she is better with less powerful characters.

However, as you have read more G W Wilson, why do you think she would be a good writer for Superman? What other pretty powerful characters (as protagonists) has she written?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

This is not bad at all.I was going for a powerlifters gear similar to this design.i would also keep the red a bit more lower than that in the thigh area like this.
    Looks a bit Quitely drew the suit.

Though this somehow has both the bits I dislike about the versions of the suit that have the trunks and those that don't.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

So I will finally start reading Superman books again! The character deserves so much better.

Oh, and We'll have a super "powerhouse" moment for Supes. That's always a good thing, if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Looks a bit Quitely drew the suit.

Though this somehow has both the bits I dislike about the versions of the suit that have the trunks and those that don't.
    I was thinking it felt more like ed mcguinness, if anything. Especially, the face.

What are those elements ?

Rebirth or Reborn? Because the Rebirth suit was too blue, looked like a onesie. I’d be happy to see the Reborn suit come back, but I also wouldn’t mind them making a new suit for Clark.

I am well aware that you are not going to get something as iconic as the classic suit, many would find changes daunting to get over. But, i do believe the original suit wasn't meant for ridicule nor to be made into a "dorky suit his mommy made" . Batman gets to be mythic with his suit. He can have omens and superstitions being the reason for the creation of the suit. Superman gets nonsense like that. Anything that doesn't treat the old suit like a relic or the butt of the joke.This suit has that kind of mythic qualities i want. I want them to keep trying. Superman is a gladiator, a strongman,... Etc.
    Batman has also eschewed the trunks for quite a few of his costume redesigns, and Martha making the suit isn't even always the source of it, but it's still the most mythic and iconic Superhero costume of all time.
    I was thinking it felt more like ed mcguinness, if anything. Especially, the face.

The texturing of the suit definitely has Quietly vibes. I guess I can see McGuinness in the portruding chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Rebirth or Reborn? Because the Rebirth suit was too blue, looked like a onesie. I’d be happy to see the Reborn suit come back, but I also wouldn’t mind them making a new suit for Clark.
    I would be ok with Clark stealing one of Jon's suits, either the Legion or the Dceased one.

In regards to suit, 99% sure the trunks will stay. If there's going to be new iterations for the suit, we'll probably have to look to different versions of the character. Which, if we're lucky, just might be on the table in regards to the digital model. At least, that's my strong hope, a home for out-of-continuity, different take stuff. Not all full on crazy Elseworlds. Different takes on a "proper" Superman, for lack of a better word.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Might be misinterpreting but don't care for the versions that make the red trunks look as if they're painted on parts of the rest of the body suit. Also the extra details usually put around trunkless-version of the costumes.

Yeah, I can see McGuinness in the head and face.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Batman has also eschewed the trunks for quite a few of his costume redesigns, and Martha making the suit isn't even always the source of it, but it's still the most mythic and iconic Superhero costume of all time.

The texturing of the suit definitely has Quietly vibes. I guess I can see McGuinness in the portruding chin.
    So? Batman's costume with trunks or no trunks is'nt used to perpetuate "aw! Shucks!" feeling. Books treat the costume as means to strike terror into the heart of evil doers. Batman is mythic.

Batman's costume is treated with fear, respect and reverence. Superman's costume? It's used to Perpetuate the former"aw! Shucks!". That feeling should be reserved for clark kent with glasses. The fake id. Not superman, the strongman. Strongman should make you feel different and his suit should as well.A man breaking chains is what a strongman suit should make you feel like. If it's not, then the suit isn't serving its purpose.

It is the most mythic costume that inspired the genre. You don't have to tell me that. It is precisely why i want better treatment and explanation of for the suit. Hello! Phantom fan here. Just because i feel that, doesn't mean my nephew would also. And that's what really matters, Not me.Moreover,suit had an ingrained story and thematic purpose that wasn't "space dad suit or earth mommy made suit". So, i want them to try to create something that can be thematically linked to superman-the physical marvel that protects the weak again and that has some form of tangible real world familiarity to it for the next generation . So that my nephew can easily get it and think "cool!". And not, "that's wierd". Especially, with the kind of grandiose explanations and trivialising explanations they give(quite frankly both don't work) . I want them to explain what a superman is, in the modern sense without the contrived explanations i mentioned prior . How does the suit connect to it and things like that.

I think, it's just indeed the body proportions that's reminiscent of Quitely and texturing of the suit.Correct me if i am wrong. Quitely body proportions for superman was inspired by curt swan's silverage superman. Wasn't it?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-12-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Might be misinterpreting but don't care for the versions that make the red trunks look as if they're painted on parts of the rest of the body suit. Also the extra details usually put around trunkless-version of the costumes.

Yeah, I can see McGuinness in the head and face.
    Gotcha! What if it was like the powerlifter's suit i posted earlier?something like this.