Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

By the way, once again, I don't like that they're defining the future before writing the present. Any other authors I would've been fine because that's how people sometimes write, the ending first, but the way DC work, nothing will ever be the actual future. They've done this before and it got cancelled.
    It's not even that - it seems like DC can't stick to a plan for 24 months and follow it through anymore. They'll have changed the plot and the ending (even if it's already been published) by time it's time to even finish a storyline, much less anything like a long-term future. I can totally understand not wanting a set future- in an open-ended on-going story with multiple authors, it just boxes them in - but I just wish you could depend on a proper beginning, middle, and end to major, universe-establishing, reality-setting stories, and it's been seen in recent years that they aren't prepared to do that.

Well at least now they're admitting it's only "possible futures." Basically a bunch of what-ifs
    Certainly makes it "matter" less, but is probably a better move.

I expect something similar to Final Crisis in which the hiccup in time and space allows them to tweak whatever they want while keeping the broad strokes more or less the same as they've been for decades, with the specifics growing more and more vague as the years pass.
    Which kinda feels unnecessary to have a story for given how much they've recently changed on the fly or had contradicted in different books. I don't even know what some of the broadstrokes are now, much less the minor bits. I don't know that I can hope for anything that I like to come out of the change in continuity, but since i find the current one a wash, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I don't care for a clean slate reboot (which they'd still want to preserve newer IPs for, of course so major changes there) or stand alone stories with no continuity. But to me it seems DC is losing it both ways right now - too much continuity and confusion to appeal to casual fans, and too little consistent continuity between books or over time to keep the traditional floppy fans. But maybe that's just my own biases and this'll turn out great.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    But to me it seems DC is losing it both ways right now - too much continuity and confusion to appeal to casual fans, and too little consistent continuity between books or over time to keep the traditional floppy fans. But maybe that's just my own biases and this'll turn out great.
    I think DC will be embracing the Multiverse a lot more moving forward, with lots of stand alone books aimed at the casual market and a variety of titles set within their own continuities that can interact with the main DCU for crossovers down the line if they want. We already have that with the Earth One, Bombshells, DCeased, and Injustice lines.

It's already the plan with their movies and TV shows, so I don't see why the comics would lean further into the shrinking hardcore audience. The main DCU is going to be trimmed down to a more manageable number with the more experimental stuff done digitally to reduce the financial risk and see what sticks. My guess is the main DCU's continuity will try to incorporate as much as possible in order to carry on the 80+ year history for the longtime fans.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We should still be getting solicits on Friday right? It's so weird they haven't announced future state or literally anything about January's solicitations. Hopefully we get something today.

BANNED

Bleeding Cool mentioned a rumor recently that Bendis is writing a new Authority book with Superman leading the team. Could be interesting I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    We should still be getting solicits on Friday right? It's so weird they haven't announced future state or literally anything about January's solicitations. Hopefully we get something today.
    Well, we didn't yesterday, but we seem to have got almost everything today.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman