Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Less exciting, but if done right it sounds much more responsible. Relaunches are mostly a gimmick anyway. Rebirth held attention but crashed because it failed in all its promises.

My hope is they start the year strong for Superman and Wonder woman.

So it will be more of a staggered relaunch. I guess that is closer to what Marvel does with how they tend to relaunch their different lines individually. I think they will eventually relaunch everything with a new #1 outside of Action, Detective, and maybe Batman. Although they should just relaunch Batman too. Not like it is on its current legacy numbering. I'm unsure how the approach will work as DC's sales are really bad right now and I don't know if they can turn it around with just a relaunch even though we knew for a long time a reboot wasn't going to happen. I'd guess they might just do what they did in Rebirth and cut their line down some more to focus on the titles that can still sell okay.

Astonishing Member

Well, that's what Snyder was talking about when they asked him how Death Metal will end. My guess is that we may well consider this to be something like Rebirth 2.0. Fit all important events into one timeline, but without removing or destroying anything.
    It makes me happy, to be honest.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 09-12-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, that's what Snyder was talking about when they asked him how Death Metal will end. My guess is that we may well consider this to be something like Rebirth 2.0. Fit all important events into one timeline, but without removing or destroying anything.

Agreed completely

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The problem is that certain stories can't fit into the same place at the same time. Even important ones as they can contradict one another. It is a problem Rebirth ran into. I imagine that will still be a problem even in this new relaunch. Plus the problems compound as writers add in new stories or start rewriting old ones to fit better. Like with Wonder Woman, who is now going to be on her 4th or 5th reboot since the New 52, with them making her the first superhero and a founding JSA member, which is something she has never been before. It is something that doesn't really line up with her old or even recent stories.

Wonder Woman would be an easy fix by just saying time passes differently on Paradise Island or that people on Paradise Island age very slowly while there.
    She could be in the JSA in the '40s, then go back to Paradise Island where she'd stay until the JLA formed.
    She could've aged five years while out in the world in the '40s and only aged one year during the time between the JSA and the JLA.
    It would also give more weight to Hippolyta pleading with her not to go, because she would age faster in man's world.
    But Diana could enjoy being in man's world so much that she realizes that she missed it and wants to be part of the JLA.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

I really hope that Superman or Wonder Woman will start strong. But, the cynical part of me said that the most plausible out of events would be Batman and his family having the best team possible in DC creative teams. Not to mention with the new Batman team in sight, Batman will have more books than ever.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I don't think they will reboot the line or even necessarily relaunch it (unless to revert all of their titles to legacy numbering?) but it will be a softer "refresher", I think. Shuffling around some creative teams (assuming the new management hasn't chased him away, Bendis on new books, a new Flash team, a new Justice League team, maybe some new Batman teams), probably give Mark Waid something high-profile (Superman and/ or JSA) and culling the line to a smaller number with many titles going digital only/ first.

This is theoretically a good thing because aside for a small handful of titles, DC does need to breathe some new life into their mainstream line (self-contained stuff like all of Tom King's comics, recently new creative teams like on Wonder Woman, and original graphic novels not included) but I'm worried about what the new head honchos at AT&T think that means.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Wonder Woman would be an easy fix by just saying time passes differently on Paradise Island or that people on Paradise Island age very slowly while there.
    She could be in the JSA in the '40s, then go back to Paradise Island where she'd stay until the JLA formed.
    She could've aged five years while out in the world in the '40s and only aged one year during the time between the JSA and the JLA.
    It would also give more weight to Hippolyta pleading with her not to go, because she would age faster in man's world.
    But Diana could enjoy being in man's world so much that she realizes that she missed it and wants to be part of the JLA.
    Amazons are immortal so it’s not an issue agewise. The problem is they would have to redo her origin again, and what would be the status of Steve and Etta? If they were there with her during WWII they can’t exactly be young for the modern day. Diana being a JSA member during WWII basically mandates a complete reboot of her because none of her current stories would make sense. No thank you, I have no desire for that, especially since there’s no one at DC currently who I think can write a better WW origin than Rucka.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Amazons are immortal so it’s not an issue agewise. The problem is they would have to redo her origin again, and what would be the status of Steve and Etta? If they were there with her during WWII they can’t exactly be young for the modern day. Diana being a JSA member during WWII basically mandates a complete reboot of her because none of her current stories would make sense. No thank you, I have no desire for that, especially since there’s no one at DC currently who I think can write a better WW origin than Rucka.
    They could pull a WW tv show and make modern Steve the descendant of WW2 Steve, if there was one.
    Just because she's with the JSA, it doesn't mean Steve and Etta are.
    Her being in the JSA could just be tacked onto any origin as a 'secret past' that no one ever mentioned before.

An even better idea would be to have Donna be the Golden Age Wonder Woman, then explain that it was the Golden Age Wonder Woman that got resurrected as Donna Troy.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I'm one of the people here who's played devil's advocate to her changing her origin, or at least have kept an open mind towards the idea. I guess I'll make the case again here.

I'll say that I totally understand the points that the people who want to back out of this origin shift. It means another new origin retelling in only a few years, and the concerns about how it may effect Steve and Etta, and their relationships to Diana. But I had a couple of problems with Rucka's run that could stand to be fixed.

1. Is the whole Diana hasn't been able to return to Themyscira since she left in Year One. This locked out a lot of her past history from having happened. It basically left Diana with no established history inbetween her origin and the present day. The goal of Rebirth was bring back past continuity, and this choice ends up sabotaging it.

2. This next one is a much bigger one. Donna's origin. I firmly have believed that what Donna needs is to have a variant of her original origin as Diana's adopted sister restored. There really wasn't much room for that with Rucka's new origin. Donna or any indication of her wasn't present in year one and there's no way for Diana to take her back to the Island afterward. It kind of screwed Donna out of her proper origin. In Orlando's recent run, where he was operating with the origin change being canon already, took some major steps towards cleaning up Donna's origin by restoring her to having been adopted and trained by Diana and Hippolyta on Themyscira. I'm afraid this would be lost by backing out to double down on Year One.

As for the concerns about Etta and Steve. I think golden age Etta and modern Etta are different enough characters they can be made generational relatives of each other, with modern Etta being named after the golden Age Etta. Steve is a bit trickier, but I'm willing to give them a chance.

Though I suppose this may still be up in the air. Snyder was suppose to be doing the JSA origin retelling, which would have included Diana's as part of it, and he's been saying he's stepping away from main continuity works, and we've seemed to have stopped hearing about it.

Diana having the same relationships with Etta's and Steve's ancestors (who for some reason both have their namesakes at the same time?) Is weird in a couple ways. Tripely so when they'd inevitably make Diana and Steve-2 a couple.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Steve Trevor works better being from the 1940s, so I'd rather they have him first meet Diana then, but have him die near the war's end, and is resurrected in the present by the magics of Olympus.

Golden Age Etta and modern Etta are so completely different in terms of their roles and attitude, just keep them as separate characters, with the current Etta being named after her great aunt or something.

Basically, just pull a Wally West and Wallace West

I’d just have Diana and Steve be married and he lives off one of the islands around Themyscira that keeps him from aging. Can’t really also see a reason why Diana would go back to the island after the war ending and then coming back X years later for whatever reason, the 70s show did that because it switched networks and was a cost saving measure to have it set in present day. She should just remain an active hero in the interval.

What Bored at 3:00AM said works for Etta.

Could all be avoided if Year One wasn’t being tossed out to help the JSA.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-13-2020 at 05:26 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Too much to hope that DC would pull a Batman'1969, and roll forward with new comics that just ignore anything problematic that they want to shuck?

Yah, that's what I thought.