Astonishing Member

Default The Golden Age Batman returns in 'Generations: Shattered'

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-genera...iginal-batman/

The original Kane/Finger 1939 Batman is returning in the 'Generations: Shattered' one-shot, which seems to be repurposed from the 5G Generations event somehow. Here's the summary:

"A threat of cosmic proportion to DC's newest (and oldest) universe compels one of the most unusual groups of heroes ever assembled to take on the most mysterious foe they have ever encountered," reads DC's description for the one-shot. "Join the original Batman, Kamandi, Starfire, Sinestro, Booster Gold, Dr. Light, Steel, and Sinestro in their quest to save the universe before time runs out!"
    Yes, this may not be the epic continuity-altering event we were all expecting but still...I for one am pretty excited that the original Golden Age Batman is getting some love, considering how underexposed that version of Batman is compared to, say, Golden Age Superman.

Wonder how this ties in with the 'Generations' story from 'Tec # 1027?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Was there any real character differences with the original than the modern day version?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Was there any real character differences with the original than the modern day version?
    The main ones compared to the modern version is that he doesn't have a no-kill code (although killing isn't his first option), and he was also generally portrayed as more socially adjusted and charismatic than the modern version, both as Bruce and Batman. Although these two characteristics are kind of contradictory as far as contrasting him with his modern version goes, so I could see the writers ending up leaning too heavily on making him even "darker" than modern Batman because he kills or more like silver age Batman if they ignore the killing part.

There are also various changes to the characters around him, due to part of origin stories that ended up dropped later, like how he only meets Alfred after starting as Batman.

He killed more people, were better emotionally adjusted and less perfect at everything.

Will he have his guns?

Astonishing Member

He doesn't have a code against killing per se, though its not his opening move (the Punisher he ain't!) He's motivated by his parent's death but it doesn't define him to the extent that it does modern versions. He's got a bit of a gentleman adventurer vibe to him - he's a lot closer to a Shadow or Zorro than a contemporary superhero/vigilante character. And his adventures were pretty weird and pulpy - yes, he took on the odd murder case or criminal gang, but he also took on secret societies in Chinatown, vampires, monster men, a would-be dictator armed with a death-ray, and hallucinogenic flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    The main ones compared to the modern version is that he doesn't have a no-kill code (although killing isn't his first option), and he was also generally portrayed as more socially adjusted and charismatic than the modern version, both as Bruce and Batman. Although these two characteristics are kind of contradictory as far as contrasting him with his modern version goes, so I could see the writers ending up leaning too heavily on making him even "darker" than modern Batman because he kills or more like silver age Batman if they ignore the killing part.

There are also various changes to the characters around him, due to part of origin stories that ended up dropped later, like how he only meets Alfred after starting as Batman.
    I'm a bit worried about them consciously trying to make him 'darker'. Morrison actually already kinda did that in his one-shot 'Joe Chill in Hell' story (though to be fair, terrorizing a criminal to the point of death isn't too much of a stretch from Batman's Golden Age MO - its the way the story was presented that adds to the darkness).

Honestly, I don't mind if they make him 'lighter', as a better contrast to the modern versions, provided we're not in Adam West territory of course.

There was an interview I'd read a while back for the First Wave imprint, which also included Golden Age Batman. One of the writers working on it (Azarello I think) mentioned how the early Batman was a bit like an enthusiastic rookie cop - eager to learn the ropes and burning with optimism about his ability to make a difference. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of that - someone who finally found his purpose in life and is enjoying playing the masked avenger.