Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Legion of Super Heroes Five Years Later Reviews

Similar to my L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 thread, I thought I might share the Legion of Super Bloggers reviews of the 5 Years Later Legion that began about six years ago.

For those who have never read it, I hope it will pique your interest. For those of you who did read it, I hope it's good nostalgia. If there's interest, I'll try to do all 38 issues with Giffen as writer.

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #1 - Five years after the mystic war, the Legion is disbanded and the universe is a much darker place. But two former Legionnaires consider putting it back together.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...-heroes-1.html

Last edited by caj; 09-17-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #2 - Recruiting for the new Legion begins with former Ultra Boy Jo Nah, who returned to his home planet Rimbor after a devastating loss.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...-heroes-2.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #3 - The Legionnaire you thought was dead...isn't. And the one you thought would live forever...doesn't.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...-heroes-3.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #4 - Mon-El is alive - and discovers his connection to the Time Trapper goes deeper than he ever could have imagined.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...-heroes-4.html

Retired

You piqued my interest. For me these first four issues, as strange and offputting as they were, still were part of the old Legion run. They should have just tacked these four issues onto that old run as a kind of epilogue. The next issue and thereafter is in another continuity, so that's the actual first issue of this new Legion. To call it five years later is a misnomer, given issue 5 is not in the same timeline, so it's not really five years later at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You piqued my interest. For me these first four issues, as strange and offputting as they were, still were part of the old Legion run. They should have just tacked these four issues onto that old run as a kind of epilogue. The next issue and thereafter is in another continuity, so that's the actual first issue of this new Legion. To call it five years later is a misnomer, given issue 5 is not in the same timeline, so it's not really five years later at all.
    I see your correction to my spelling/grammar and it's corrected in the OP. Thanks.

Yeah, I was hoping for more discussion on here. Not sure if too many people are really interested in the Legion right now. I thought since the omnibus was about to be released, it might be a good time to do this.

I'll post a few more issues. If there's not much interest, I'll stop. No sense in continually bumping a thread that isn't really wanted.

I had problems getting into this run the first year, but I think it was issue 11 that it clicked and after a quick reread it was at the top of my read pile until Giffen left. It's a really great run, grabbed the first issue and waiting for a sale to buy the rest in digital to see how it holds up.

Retired

Even though what happened in issue 5 angered me, I did keep buying this run for a few years. I even bought some of the issues around Zero Hour, but after that I didn't want to go on with it.

I've just started to re-read the Legion from the beginning, so it's going to take me some years to get this far.

Extraordinary Member

I remember:

Loving/excited by issue #1
    Okay with issue #2
    Crying at issue #3
    Confused by issue #4
    Completely blown away by issue #5

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #5 - After the events of last issue, the timeline has been wiped out. Now Mordru rules the universe with an iron fist. But a small group of rebels, led by Andrew Nolan (Ferro Lad), have a plan to undo it all.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...-heroes-5.html

Retired

It's funny how characters like Ferro Lad come on the scene to go out in a blaze of glory, sacrificing themselves and thus become legend. Only for the fans to be so in love with that character's arc, that the writers feel driven to bring him or her back from the dead. The same thing happened with Terra in the Legion.

The irony is Jim Shooter gave himself an out from the get-go--so he could have it both ways. Yes Andrew Nolan, Ferro-Lad, sacrificed himself to defeat the Sun-Eater and thus entered the annals of Legion Lore as one of the bravest of the brave. But he had a twin brother, Douglas, afflicted with the same condition, who would eventually take his brother's place in the Legion as Ferro-Man. I don't know why other writers didn't take advantage of this loop-hole.

Also, Jim wanted Ferro-Lad to be black but Mort Weisinger nixed the idea. However, like with Black Manta, since Andrew's whole body is covered and you never see the man behind the iron mask, you could just assume that Ferro-Lad is a person of colour and no one is going to stop you from holding that in your mind. It's not like Mort or the Comics Code could do anything about it--they weren't that powerful!

Extraordinary Member

I was surprised Giffen & Co. didn't make Andrew black in this story.

While I loved this issue - it was my favorite of the whole series - I was disappointed Andrew wasn't alive and a part of the new timeline when it resumed the following issue.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They did bring Andrew back latter on as part of the SW6 batch along with Karate Kid and Invisible Kid I. I love what they did with Ferro in the Reboot era.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Maybe had they known that the asshats in the Superman office would whine about Legion using Superman elements, they could have built up to the reset. But they didn't know -- and had basically one issue to change everything. They did the best they could. I'll never know why Paul Levitz let this happen -- being that he was the publisher at the time. The pocket universe Superboy was a nice fix --- and didn't effect Superman's books.

There is a great article in a recent copy of Back Issue discussing this run -- and why it was ultimately ended. I think, though, that continuity was not the biggest problem. People jsut got tired of the dark take on the Legion. Once they blew up the Earth, the fat lady was singing.

Retired

Yes, the creators didn't know what was going to happen. My hindsight is 20/20. It is pretty bad timing on the part of the publishers that they sandbagged the title so early in its run--maybe they should have thought of this before the restart.

It's a funny thing that this run of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES included three different continuities (if not more).