Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Extraordinary Member

Anyone else have any parting shots for this series?

Incredible Member

Thank you for the reviews of this great series.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Anyone else have any parting shots for this series?
    Thanks for sharing the reviews, caj!

Does this mean you'll resume the L.E.G.I.O.N. thread?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Thank you for the reviews of this great series.
    You're very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Thanks for sharing the reviews, caj!

Does this mean you'll resume the L.E.G.I.O.N. thread?
    LOL - no, I basically retired that thread. You were always great about posting but there was hardly any other interest in it. Who knows, I may revive it one day.

Again, I'm considering doing a thread on the Levitz/Giffen issues (and maybe even post Giffen if interest is there). Just seeing if there's any interest in that.

Incredible Member

I’m in for Levitz/ Gifffen.

Astonishing Member

I loved L.E.G.I.O.N, and think Barry Kitson did a great job when he became both writer and artist. But when Tom Peyer took over --- pee-yoo! Stealth was a great character -- don't know that she's been used since.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Stealth was a great character -- don't know that she's been used since.
    Yeah, she kind of fell off the radar of everyone. And you would think with all of the reboots, someone would've had the good sense to resurrect Lyrissa Mallor.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    LOL - no, I basically retired that thread. You were always great about posting but there was hardly any other interest in it. Who knows, I may revive it one day.

Again, I'm considering doing a thread on the Levitz/Giffen issues (and maybe even post Giffen if interest is there). Just seeing if there's any interest in that.
    I'd be interested in that as well!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'd be interested in that as well!
    Great!!!!

I'll plan to start a thread on it right after the first of the year.

Incredible Member

Before we wrap up this thread, is Giffen or either Birnbaum currently working in comics?

Just finished reading 5YL for the first time. I’m a Zero Hero Legion guy who had read some classic Legion via the Showcase editions, the two Superboy & the LoSH volumes, and the Great Darkness/the Curse trades. But that was really it, until I started a DC Universe subscription.

I started reading from the issue where they dropped “Superboy” from the title, then got to the stuff I had already read, then read the Baxter series for the first time. And believe you me — I’m glad I read all that prior to starting 5YL. Without reading 100-ish issues directly before starting it, I think I would have had a lot of trouble. I had always heard it was jarring/confusing, but I had a really solid handle on (non-code) names going in.

I absolutely loved it. I liked the Baxter series and all, but I thought the series could use a shakeup by the time “Magic Wars” hit, and boy did it. The dark and gritty didn’t really phase me as I was reading this 30+ years after grim and gritty hit the mainstream, but I imagine it hit much differently back in 89. I should also say — I enjoyed the first half more than the second half. Terra Mosiac went on for quite awhile...

I finished out the series through Zero Hour, including the Legionnaires sister title. If I thought the Baxter series needed a shakeup by the end, these books certainly did as well. Legionnaires 1-18, which I had never read: never realized so many of the ZH concepts came from the SW6 kids. Except “Gossamer.” That certainly didn’t stick. As for the main book, the new direction where Glorith messed with their ages and they became fugitives was... well, I see why editorial chose to do the ZH reboot.

Extraordinary Member

Adset, glad you enjoyed the five-years later Legion. I think you did the smart thing by reading up on Legion history before reading 5YL.

I agree with you that Terra Mosaic went on for too long. But still a great story.

Incredible Member

...and in closing... Giffen was an absolute beast on this book.