Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If I added some transgender rep to the Legion, I would have pissed everyone off and made Ayla transgender instead.

Every pair of Winathian twins we'd seen to that point had been identical (same-sex) twins.

Winathian twins tend to be inseparable. They get the same job. They marry another twin-pair. They *do not* randomly leave Winath without their twin, join an organization, marry a Titanian and basically go *years* without mentioning, 'oh, yeah, I have a sister, whom I never mentioned, because I apparently couldn't get away from her fast enough...'

When we first meet Ayla, she looks similar enough to Garth that she manages to fool his best friends into thinking she's Garth for some time.

All of these things have meta reasons. Ayla (and the Winathian twin-thing) didn't exist when 'Lightning Boy' joined the Legion. Artists never really considered that they'd generally shown only same-sex twins for other Winathians. Golden age hijinks that allow someone's 'secret identity' to be 'he's wearing glasses now!' or Jimmy Olsen to spend so much time disguised as a woman would also excuse the other Legionnaires falling for Ayla's impersonation of Garth.

But it's also fun to make the subtext, text. Ayla transitioning from a boy to a girl, and Garth not handling it well, could explain his rush to get off Winath and never speak of her to his friends, and her ability to so smoothly impersonate him (perhaps not being fully transitioned yet?), and why she and Garth are opposite-sex and yet still 'identical' twins.

And for funsies, Timber Wolf would have found out about it fairly early on, and not cared a bit, because he's not her twin and doesn't see her transitioning as distancing herself from him the way Garth did.

Thankfully, I never got to write the Legion, 'cause I'm sure that would have been way more of a tempest than Sean/Shvaugn!
    Love this idea. It would explain a lot.

I was not around when Ayla replaced Garth in the Legion and was discovered by Sun Boy as a girl (because she didn't have an Adam's Apple!!!). But every Legion artist I experienced when I started reading Legion (and a lot of back issues) always drew Garth as taller and a lot more muscular, while Ayla was drawn as petite and slim with a full figure. There's no way she could've impersonated Garth even when they were younger unless it was before puberty.

So your idea would explain a lot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That could had been interesting. But Isuppose you are proposing it this development of Ayla instead her relationship with Vi. Because if she had a relationship with Vi and thene she was revealed a transgender... No, wait, that could be interesting to see.
    Nah, I like the Vi/Ayla couple fine and don't think it matters if she was born a different biological gender. I (perhaps naively) assume that in much of the 30th century United Planets, that sort of thing is uncontroversial, and that it wouldn't be a 'shocking reveal' any more than the 'shocking reveal' that somebody isn't a real blonde, or that their current name isn't their original name because their parent's remarried or something.

Although if you come home and reveal to your parents that you eloped and secretly married a Durlan actress (who isn't even Jewish!), expect to have to do some 'splainin...'

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #34 - The Terra Mosaic begins to come together as all players involved become more vocal on what they're mission/goals/interests are. And SW6 Duo Damsel helps Element Lad with his grief over the loss of teammates.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...heroes-34.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #35 - The SW6 Legion goes into battle while the Dominators retreat from Earth, Jacques Foccart (Invisible Kid II) is elected President of Earth, Universo continues to plot for takeover, and Dirk Morgna meets SW6 Sun Boy.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...heroes-35.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #34 - The Terra Mosaic begins to come together as all players involved become more vocal on what they're mission/goals/interests are. And SW6 Duo Damsel helps Element Lad with his grief over the loss of teammates.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...heroes-34.html

Was she ever used again after being Andromeda in the Reboot?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Was she ever used again after being Andromeda in the Reboot?
    I think she may have been in Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds but I'm not 100% sure.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #36 - The SW6 Legion finally begin to find their place in their new world. Bounty was assumed to be Dawnstar but who/what else is she? And Dirk Morgna's misery finally comes to an end.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...heroes-36.html

Astonishing Member

I never figured out that Bounty was Dawnstar. Originally, though she may be Dream Girl -- until she showed up overweight for a cameo in an Annual. Again, these were interesting stories, but not what I wanted from a Legion book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Again, these were interesting stories, but not what I wanted from a Legion book.
    I went back and forth. Sometimes this book seemed brilliant but mostly I just wanted Paul Levitz's Legion back.

Astonishing Member

After they blew up the Earth, I was ready for it to be over.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #37 - Time to catch up with Nura Nal (Dream Girl) and Thom Kallor (Star Boy). Nura has become High Seer of Naltor. Thom is married to the owner of The Dreamers batball team and is their coach. But Nura hasn't given up on landing Thom.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...heroes-37.html

This is, for my money, the best and boldest run of any mainstream comic, to date. I’ll always lament the powers that be d😱ing with it, as they did.

The Superman editors forced that change. I wish they’d done an arc, rather than an issue, in the magic world; really exploring it. With that they could’ve brought in Captain Marvel, Jr., a magic based character who can time-travel, and could’ve taken Superboy’s place, sometimes bringing Mary to the future, in Supergirl’s place, and restoring continuity with those slight alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    After they blew up the Earth, I was ready for it to be over.
    It’s the first thing Bendis brought back, in the current series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #37 - Time to catch up with Nura Nal (Dream Girl) and Thom Kallor (Star Boy). Nura has become High Seer of Naltor. Thom is married to the owner of The Dreamers batball team and is their coach. But Nura hasn't given up on landing Thom.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...heroes-37.html

I must admit this was my least favorite issue of the Giffen run (and apparently he wasn't involved with the issue). Dream Girl and Star Boy were two of my favorite Legionnaires and I liked them as a couple so it was disappointing to see that they did not end up together.

I loved seeing Nura become High Seer but that was the only thing I liked about what they did with her character.