View Poll Results: What book would you like him on?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman and/or AC

50 52.63%
  • Batman and/or DC

3 3.16%
  • Flash

3 3.16%
  • Wonder Woman

2 2.11%
  • Aquaman

0 0%
  • Green Lantern

3 3.16%
  • Teen Titans or Young Justice

12 12.63%
  • other

14 14.74%
  • not a fan of Waid

8 8.42%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Gotta go Flash. I absolutely loved him on JLA Year One and GL/Flash: Brave and the Bold. THAT was the Barry Allen I always wanted to see come back. To have him write a Barry monthly would be AWESOME....

Mighty Member

I'm really enjoying his run right now with Dr. Strange, so I would love to see him on Justice League Dark.

Incredible Member

He said he wanted to write Captain Marvel. Just give him that.

I'd say it looks good that Mark Waid will be doing more DC work, but we don't know that for sure at this point. Right now, we know he's doing a story in a Dark Nights: Death Metal one-shot in December.

If he does do an ongoing series, they'll probably give him the Superman books after Bendis leaves (coincidentally also in December). The January 2021 solicitations could be very interesting...

I don't think there is any other character that Waid would come back to DC for EXCEPT Superman at this point in his career.

However, scuttlebutt is that he doesn't like the Superman-Lois marriage. Given that many comics fans were upset when they thought Bendis would erase the marriage, I don't think Waid should go down that path.

It would be just an unsatisfying as One More Day was for Spider-Man. You can't really unscramble the egg, here. Superman is married and any contrivance that undoes or negates the marriage would be very hard to tolerate for a lot of readers.

Waid on any other DC character might just elicit a collective shrug from a lot of fans.

Astonishing Member

The most obvious choice would be Superman, he desired that for years and now he has a big chance. I would be sure that he will, but as already correctly noted, he does not really like the marriage of Clark and Lois, and I do not know how he feels about Jon. And obviously no one will allow him to remove them. Maybe he really changed his mind, God knows. In any case, this is the main factor that so far makes it doubtful that he will definitely write Clark.
    Maybe Titans with Wally and Dick.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Give him Superman so he can finally tell those stories from 20-25 years ago that he never got around to.

Also Impulse, JSA. I think he ran out of JLA and Flash material. But since it's Barry, maybe he's got some new ideas to umm coalesce with Flash Family.

And you might as well transition him to co-publisher through the next year.

BANNED

Shazam or Superman.
    I'm pretty sure DC offered him something big for him to return.

Astonishing Member

Give him Superman so he can finally tell those stories from 20-25 years ago that he never got around to.
    This is unlikely. Some of the ideas from his pitch have already been used for the New 52, and the other part (especially everything related to the cancellation of marriage, etc.) will simply not be allowed to be used. Whatever he writes there (if he will), it will be something completely new, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    However, scuttlebutt is that he doesn't like the Superman-Lois marriage. Given that many comics fans were upset when they thought Bendis would erase the marriage, I don't think Waid should go down that path.

It would be just an unsatisfying as One More Day was for Spider-Man. You can't really unscramble the egg, here. Superman is married and any contrivance that undoes or negates the marriage would be very hard to tolerate for a lot of readers.
    I think a lot of people dislike the marriage, but there isn't any value in getting rid of it. Some people love the old love triangle Clark/Lois/Superman and the dating and courtship that they had through the decades... but nobody really wants Superman dating OTHER people. Nobody really wants a single Superman...

Lois & Clark was always the endgame for the character. Even with the occassional bits with Wonder Woman or Lori Lemaris or Lana... it's always going to come back to Lois and Clark.

Spider-man is a lot more fluid. MJ wasn't his first, one true girlfriend. There are fans of Gwen, There are fans of Black Cat, There are a lot of interesting directions that you could take a single Spider-man. But Superman? Even the ones that don't like the actual settling down aspect of the marriage still believe in a Lois/Clark relationship.

Incredible Member

"Dick Grayson is another character that Geoff Johns and I constantly wrestle over ...it's a testament to the character that so many writers really like him...Should he be afforded more credibility in the DCU? Absolutely... There are people at DC who perceive him as a useless character... as less than he is. That's their prerogative because they are in charge...I would write that character in a cocaine heartbeat. I have begged, begged to be given Nightwing, and have been summarily turned down for no good reason. (joking) God forbid they let me do what I want to do! ... He's so complex and interesting the idea that he was supposed to grow up to be Batman, but took a different route is just so rich for drama..., not to say that Pete Tomasi isn't doing a great job, because he is... I really like the Nightwing book now...it's the best I've seen the book in 20 years."
    With one of the alleged people at DC perceiving him as a "useless character" gone, let the man write Dick. Assuming he didn't just repurpose his Nightwing pitch into his Daredevil run.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'd be most interested in seeing Waid take on Green Lantern, maybe even add a GL Corps book to boot.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

1. Superman. Make it out of continuity like All Star Superman if it doesn’t fit in with the current version. Just let Waid tell the stories he’s wanted to tell for the last 20+ years.
    2. Blue Beetle. Make it a Ted/Jaime team up book
    3. Shazam. It’s felt like DC hasn’t really known what to do with Billy & Co. since Post Crisis. Give Waid the title and let him run wild.
    4. Nightwing/Teen Titans. Waid has a good handle on the younger heroes. It’d like to see his take on Dick and/or the Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Can he write three books a month? Can we have Action, Superman AND Nightwing?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman, I guess. I'm sure there's worse options out there.

I like reading SHAZAM, so not that title.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-12-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Incredible Member

I’ve always believed his best work has been on solo books, not team books.

I voted for Superman and / or Action. I feel like that is most likely.

Given his liberal politics, he could write a solid Green Arrow book.