View Poll Results: What book would you like him on?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman and/or AC

50 52.63%
  • Batman and/or DC

3 3.16%
  • Flash

3 3.16%
  • Wonder Woman

2 2.11%
  • Aquaman

0 0%
  • Green Lantern

3 3.16%
  • Teen Titans or Young Justice

12 12.63%
  • other

14 14.74%
  • not a fan of Waid

8 8.42%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    You say that... but they removed Supergirl, the LOSH, and his time as Superboy once which were all incredibly popular. They easily could remove Jon someday
    Beyond easily. Anything can and has been removed from Superman's lore before except Lois. Other things like Lex while never completely removed, heavily altered before. Jon is not remotely so sacrosanct.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Beyond easily. Anything can and has been removed from Superman's lore before except Lois. Other things like Lex while never completely removed, heavily altered before. Jon is not remotely so sacrosanct.
    People tend to forget that Conner Kent had a series of his own which lasted 100 issues, and that's without counting Teen Titans (comic books and TV), Young Justice (comic books and TV) or appearances in other Superman series. And that didn't prevent the character from becoming relatively obscure in recent days.
    Heck, Steel and Matrix Supergirl had their own series for years. Jon has been around for what, 3 years as the son of "regular" Superman? If they put him on a Earth-2-like book, he would be painlessly removed from regular continuity.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Any answer other than Superman/Action Comics is just so wrong it doesn't even deserve to be addressed.

However, I wouldn't mind him writing Shazam, although he's indicated not to be a fan of the post-52 dynamic which I want to keep. Green Lantern and Aquaman would be interesting too.

Fantastic Member

Shazam! Geoff Johns had some good ideas, but, I'm sorry to say, he let Captain Marvel fans down.

Fantastic Member

If he wanted to downplay the roles of the other kids (Darla, Pedro, Eugene), I could live with that. BUT, if Waid and DC were to kill them off, I would not be cool with that.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Shazam! Geoff Johns had some good ideas, but, I'm sorry to say, he let Captain Marvel fans down.
    Johns' Shazam was the only title I consistently looked forward to for the past 2 years.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I actually liked the most recent run. Sucks it got cut short, but outside of the Ordway run and Jeff Smith's take, it's been the most I've enjoyed Captain Marvel in print for a very long time.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yep, and Kara had almost three decades under her belt at that point. That, plus some other media presence, probably had a hand in bringing her back eventually.

Judging by comics only, if she wasn't safe from the reaper's scythe at that time with all that history, I can't imagine Jon would be 100% immune if not for the upcoming tv series in his favor. But even that may not guarantee an eternal presence.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Waid's said in interviews he's not exactly a fan of the character, So I can't really say I'd be interested in him on her book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    No, I think he said he feels the same way about WW as he feels about Thor: Loves the character but doesn't feel he's be able to write her. Either way, your point stands.
    Weirdly, I thought he did ok by her in his JLA run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    No, I think he said he feels the same way about WW as he feels about Thor: Loves the character but doesn't feel he's be able to write her. Either way, your point stands.
    What you said is probably closer to what Waid meant since I got it from a text interview but yeah point is still the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think he's ever really written her poorly from the stuff I've read of his, even in KC ignoring the book's legacy on her, just probably would rather him on a book he feels more confident with or interested in.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-13-2020 at 04:58 PM.

If not Superman/Action Comics, Hawkman or a JSA with Hawkman as a member.

BANNED

Okay, I will throw another bone here. Batman or Detective Comics. As much as I can remember, Waid never writes Batman aside from Barcelona mini or when he is a member of JL. Considering his unique takes on Daredevil and if he can roped Chris Samnee or Paolo Rivera into DC, I think his Batman would be highly entertaining.

Superman.

Maybe Detective, but I've liked Tomasi's run so far. Tynion is not going anywhere with how well Batman is selling right now.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Oh man oh man oh man oh man

Please write a regular title, Mark Waid! That would be awesome.

I've enjoyed the Bendis run on the Superman titles and don't want it to end, but Bendis has already said that his run concludes in December. So how about Waid writing at least one Superman comic? After an epically crappy year in real life that would be a wonderful thing to look forward to in 2021!

But really any ongoing title would be awesome. He's said that he'd like to write Captain Marvel (you know, "Shazam"), so that would be a good choice as well.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's a lot easier to write a character in an ensemble book because all you need is solid characterization. When writing an adventure, you need to also bring in thematic elements, supporting cast to play off the protagonist and themes, an antagonist to challenge it all, etc. At most, a JLA writer can be on the book for several years and realistically only have one plot focused on Diana where otherwise she just shows up and does a Wonder Woman thing for a page or two. It's a lot easier to get someone right in that context.

Waid's alright at Diana. I don't like her in KC, but he's written her well elsewhere. He has a great ear for characterization so he can probably write anyone on a team book, but he's never shown me he'd be a great fit for Diana and unlike with Clark, I've never seen a lot of passion for her on Waid's part to let me think he'd at least have the drive to bring his A-game. I honestly expect a Waid Wonder Woman book to be kind of like when they gave JMS the book. He was talking about she's their biggest Superman-adjacent and he was interested to play with her in that respect. Waid would certainly respect her more, but the end result would probably not be all that memorable.