Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Don Bluth Hoping To Restart 2D Animated Films!

Don bluth starting a 2D animation studio hoping to restart 2D animated films in america. (overseas they never left)

https://www.cbr.com/don-bluth-studio...awn-animation/

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Well, he'd be the one to do it.

Holy crap! I didn't know he was still alive!

Looking over his list of work, he made so many of the films I loved as a kid. All Dogs go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, Rock a Doodle, a Troll in Central Park, Thumbalina, the guy is a legend.

I miss 2D animation being a part of our theatrical landscape. It's been so missing for the past 20 years. I remember in the early days thinking that 2D and 3D would co-exist and we'd have both. Instead 3D totally pushed 2D animation off the big screen. There's been what, that Frog one from Disney (even though I'm not interested in princess movies, I watched that one on TV just to feel like spiting those racists upset over a black led Disney cartoon) and The Simpsons Movie.

I don't know if he can pull it off, but if he can't no one can. I wish him the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Looking over his list of work, he made so many of the films I loved as a kid. All Dogs go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, Rock a Doodle, a Troll in Central Park, Thumbalina, the guy is a legend.

I miss 2D animation being a part of our theatrical landscape. It's been so missing for the past 20 years. I remember in the early days thinking that 2D and 3D would co-exist and we'd have both. Instead 3D totally pushed 2D animation off the big screen. There's been what, that Frog one from Disney (even though I'm not interested in princess movies, I watched that one on TV just to feel like spiting those racists upset over a black led Disney cartoon) and The Simpsons Movie.

I don't know if he can pull it off, but if he can't no one can. I wish him the best of luck!
    Ghibli kept going over those years, though the studio appears to be on hiatus now as the founders reach retirement age.

Studio ghibili is back again. Ironic thing is they have two films in the works. A 2D one and a CG film!

As for 2D they never really went away overseas. Your name is even the highest grossing animated film overseas of all time. The neat thing is your name and weathering with you and films like them mixed 2D and CG and did it well!

For america we had two 2D spongebob films that did well as well as three 2D my little pony films. 2 that were limited release and the last wide released and it did well so we are getting another next year.

Films like doreamon and detective conan (case closed) are huge hits overseas. In fact conan had a movie out the same day as avengers iw overseas and conan crushed the avengers! Then endgame again came out against conan and conan crushed endgame! Disney stayed clear of conan films after that! (detective conan is a huge hit overseas.) Avengers greatest enemy is not loki or thanos. It's detective conan who beat them twice in a roll!

Note the conan movie zero the enforcer was in it's 7th week at first place at the box office and it still beat avengers iw!

Star wars got beat by a yo-kai watch movie also it's first weekend in japan!

Limited release films like our hero and dragonball did well as well even making the top 5 american box office in limited release of only a few 100 showings! So they can do good. I think we need a really well done 2D film to really restart it here.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aveng...0248#gs.fxwlj0

https://rojakdaily.com/entertainment...engers-endgame
    Last edited by Gaastra; 09-12-2020 at 07:07 AM.

No kidding. So many great animators have passed away, it's surprising to hear from one anymore. I was likewise surprised when Bakshi announced the Last Days of Coney Island a couple years ago.

Well, i understand the feeling and i wish him the best of success but a "renaissance of hand-drawn animation" is an old man's dream.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This is the guys at Funhaus trying to explain to Alanah their Australian transplant Don Bluth and his style. Must Watch.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Don't forget The Secret of NIMH and Anastasia... two of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Studio ghibili is back again. Ironic thing is they have two films in the works. A 2D one and a CG film!
    Ugh. CG anime. No, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, i understand the feeling and i wish him the best of success but a "renaissance of hand-drawn animation" is an old man's dream.
    There was no reason it should have gone away in the first place. The world is big enough for both styles, but in the 21st century we've entered the era of "only the most popular option gets to survive and everybody better start liking it." I love Pixar but sometimes I want a break from the "bouncing plastic bathtub toys" style of animation. Been watching a lot of animated stuff on Netflix lately.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

There was no reason it should have gone away in the first place. The world is big enough for both styles, but in the 21st century we've entered the era of "only the most popular option gets to survive and everybody better start liking it." I love Pixar but sometimes I want a break from the "bouncing plastic bathtub toys" style of animation. Been watching a lot of animated stuff on Netflix lately.
    My personal opinion. What was hurting 2D was the terrible movies. The movies themselves were bad, in comparison to Pixar movies which were doing well financially. This made people say, "2D is dead, 3D is where the money is."

I think 2D had Sinbad at the time. Which bombed, which wasn't surprising. I know their were others, but a Google search is not giving me the immediate answers I wanted.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Yup.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Ghibli kept going over those years, though the studio appears to be on hiatus now as the founders reach retirement age.
    Not really the same here in the states - foreign films and anime are great, but they only get limited releases in select theaters here at best. Animation that I can easily see in theaters has been predominantly CG. I'd like to see anime movies in theater, but my local theater isn't that kind of select location.

Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    No kidding. So many great animators have passed away, it's surprising to hear from one anymore. I was likewise surprised when Bakshi announced the Last Days of Coney Island a couple years ago.
    Bakshi is still alive? Holy crap!
    I liked his weird rotoscoped Lord of the Rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Why? Do you think 2D is bad or should remain dead in the West or...?
    No judgement, just curious why 2D films making a comeback (even if small) is an old man's dream
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Don't forget The Secret of NIMH and Anastasia... two of my favorites.
    I didn't forget - it's just been so long since I've seen them I need a rewatch of them. They weren't as big a part of my childhood.
    Still impressive though.

I don't know, I've seen some good CG anime. RWBY is basically CG anime even if it isn't from Japan (fight me purists!), the Godzilla anime looked good (boring as heck, but that's not on the animation), and I liked Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror. I mean it's definitely a work in progress but there's potential there to be a legitimate style alongside traditional 2D anime. And I don't have the worry it'll replace 2D anime like 3D lagely has in the West theatrically.

BANNED

As a very old man, let me say that there is value to be shown in recreating the marvelous animations of early Disney and Fleischer.

As a realist, I have to say...good luck with that.

IMHO, without Disney onboard, 2D animation probably won't have a comeback, but we'll see.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)