Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,915

    Default Don Bluth Hoping To Restart 2D Animated Films!

    Don bluth starting a 2D animation studio hoping to restart 2D animated films in america. (overseas they never left)

    https://www.cbr.com/don-bluth-studio...awn-animation/

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Well, he'd be the one to do it.
    Make America Good Again.

  3. #3
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    Holy crap! I didn't know he was still alive!

    Looking over his list of work, he made so many of the films I loved as a kid. All Dogs go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, Rock a Doodle, a Troll in Central Park, Thumbalina, the guy is a legend.

    I miss 2D animation being a part of our theatrical landscape. It's been so missing for the past 20 years. I remember in the early days thinking that 2D and 3D would co-exist and we'd have both. Instead 3D totally pushed 2D animation off the big screen. There's been what, that Frog one from Disney (even though I'm not interested in princess movies, I watched that one on TV just to feel like spiting those racists upset over a black led Disney cartoon) and The Simpsons Movie.

    I don't know if he can pull it off, but if he can't no one can. I wish him the best of luck!

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Holy crap! I didn't know he was still alive!

    Looking over his list of work, he made so many of the films I loved as a kid. All Dogs go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, Rock a Doodle, a Troll in Central Park, Thumbalina, the guy is a legend.

    I miss 2D animation being a part of our theatrical landscape. It's been so missing for the past 20 years. I remember in the early days thinking that 2D and 3D would co-exist and we'd have both. Instead 3D totally pushed 2D animation off the big screen. There's been what, that Frog one from Disney (even though I'm not interested in princess movies, I watched that one on TV just to feel like spiting those racists upset over a black led Disney cartoon) and The Simpsons Movie.

    I don't know if he can pull it off, but if he can't no one can. I wish him the best of luck!
    Ghibli kept going over those years, though the studio appears to be on hiatus now as the founders reach retirement age.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,915

    Default

    Studio ghibili is back again. Ironic thing is they have two films in the works. A 2D one and a CG film!


    As for 2D they never really went away overseas. Your name is even the highest grossing animated film overseas of all time. The neat thing is your name and weathering with you and films like them mixed 2D and CG and did it well!

    For america we had two 2D spongebob films that did well as well as three 2D my little pony films. 2 that were limited release and the last wide released and it did well so we are getting another next year.

    Films like doreamon and detective conan (case closed) are huge hits overseas. In fact conan had a movie out the same day as avengers iw overseas and conan crushed the avengers! Then endgame again came out against conan and conan crushed endgame! Disney stayed clear of conan films after that! (detective conan is a huge hit overseas.) Avengers greatest enemy is not loki or thanos. It's detective conan who beat them twice in a roll!

    Note the conan movie zero the enforcer was in it's 7th week at first place at the box office and it still beat avengers iw!


    Star wars got beat by a yo-kai watch movie also it's first weekend in japan!

    Limited release films like our hero and dragonball did well as well even making the top 5 american box office in limited release of only a few 100 showings! So they can do good. I think we need a really well done 2D film to really restart it here.






    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aveng...0248#gs.fxwlj0

    https://rojakdaily.com/entertainment...engers-endgame
    Last edited by Gaastra; 09-12-2020 at 07:07 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Holy crap! I didn't know he was still alive!
    No kidding. So many great animators have passed away, it's surprising to hear from one anymore. I was likewise surprised when Bakshi announced the Last Days of Coney Island a couple years ago.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,297

    Default

    Well, i understand the feeling and i wish him the best of success but a "renaissance of hand-drawn animation" is an old man's dream.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,444

    Default

    This is the guys at Funhaus trying to explain to Alanah their Australian transplant Don Bluth and his style. Must Watch.


  9. #9
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Looking over his list of work, he made so many of the films I loved as a kid. All Dogs go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, Rock a Doodle, a Troll in Central Park, Thumbalina, the guy is a legend.
    Don't forget The Secret of NIMH and Anastasia... two of my favorites.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Studio ghibili is back again. Ironic thing is they have two films in the works. A 2D one and a CG film!
    Ugh. CG anime. No, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, i understand the feeling and i wish him the best of success but a "renaissance of hand-drawn animation" is an old man's dream.
    There was no reason it should have gone away in the first place. The world is big enough for both styles, but in the 21st century we've entered the era of "only the most popular option gets to survive and everybody better start liking it." I love Pixar but sometimes I want a break from the "bouncing plastic bathtub toys" style of animation. Been watching a lot of animated stuff on Netflix lately.
    Make America Good Again.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

    There was no reason it should have gone away in the first place. The world is big enough for both styles, but in the 21st century we've entered the era of "only the most popular option gets to survive and everybody better start liking it." I love Pixar but sometimes I want a break from the "bouncing plastic bathtub toys" style of animation. Been watching a lot of animated stuff on Netflix lately.
    My personal opinion. What was hurting 2D was the terrible movies. The movies themselves were bad, in comparison to Pixar movies which were doing well financially. This made people say, "2D is dead, 3D is where the money is."

    I think 2D had Sinbad at the time. Which bombed, which wasn't surprising. I know their were others, but a Google search is not giving me the immediate answers I wanted.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,915

    Default

    Ugh. CG anime. No, please.
    Yup.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  12. #12
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Ghibli kept going over those years, though the studio appears to be on hiatus now as the founders reach retirement age.
    Not really the same here in the states - foreign films and anime are great, but they only get limited releases in select theaters here at best. Animation that I can easily see in theaters has been predominantly CG. I'd like to see anime movies in theater, but my local theater isn't that kind of select location.

  13. #13
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    No kidding. So many great animators have passed away, it's surprising to hear from one anymore. I was likewise surprised when Bakshi announced the Last Days of Coney Island a couple years ago.
    Bakshi is still alive? Holy crap!
    I liked his weird rotoscoped Lord of the Rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, i understand the feeling and i wish him the best of success but a "renaissance of hand-drawn animation" is an old man's dream.
    Why? Do you think 2D is bad or should remain dead in the West or...?
    No judgement, just curious why 2D films making a comeback (even if small) is an old man's dream
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Don't forget The Secret of NIMH and Anastasia... two of my favorites.
    I didn't forget - it's just been so long since I've seen them I need a rewatch of them. They weren't as big a part of my childhood.
    Still impressive though.

    Ugh. CG anime. No, please.
    I don't know, I've seen some good CG anime. RWBY is basically CG anime even if it isn't from Japan (fight me purists!), the Godzilla anime looked good (boring as heck, but that's not on the animation), and I liked Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror. I mean it's definitely a work in progress but there's potential there to be a legitimate style alongside traditional 2D anime. And I don't have the worry it'll replace 2D anime like 3D lagely has in the West theatrically.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    As a very old man, let me say that there is value to be shown in recreating the marvelous animations of early Disney and Fleischer.

    As a realist, I have to say...good luck with that.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,453

    Default

    IMHO, without Disney onboard, 2D animation probably won't have a comeback, but we'll see.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •