Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default If Marvel had stories like DC crossovers and vice versa

Ever thought about the big two swapping major storylines?
    For example. Blackest night. Nomad, Marvell, omega the unknown, uncle Ben, scourge victims etc come back to life and cause trouble.

Dc acts of vengeance. Dc bad guys swap dance partners like Marvel did in 89. Aquaman vs Luthor, batsy vs Black Manta etc.

A doomsday clock type story where miracle man interferes with the MU.

Your thoughts and ideas on this?

Hmmm.... a DC Civil War event might be interesting, considering a good deal of DC heroes actually still have secret identities. But it would probably be a far more lopsided event since all the A list heroes would be on the anti-registration side.

Honestly I can't think of any DC events I necessarily would really want to take place in Marvel though. Most of their BIG events are reboots, and I woudln't want to see that in marvel.

Mighty Member

Thanks. Outlawed sounds a bit like the Young justice sins of youth storylines.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Ever thought about the big two swapping major storylines?
    For example. Blackest night. Nomad, Marvell, omega the unknown, uncle Ben, scourge victims etc come back to life and cause trouble.

Dc acts of vengeance. Dc bad guys swap dance partners like Marvel did in 89. Aquaman vs Luthor, batsy vs Black Manta etc.

A doomsday clock type story where miracle man interferes with the MU.

Your thoughts and ideas on this?
    Check out Underworld Unleashed for the DC version of Acts of Vengeance. They both have a magic based character working with a cabal of villains to attack the heroes by swapping enemies,

There are a number of stories with similar themes and plot points from both Marvel and DC.

Squadron Supreme/Kingdom Come: Has Justice League type character decide to take over running the world, with some members opposing them, leading to a final battle with lots of casualties.
    Secret Wars/Convergence: Has different worlds smashed together with characters fighting to ensure their world’s survival
    Marvel Zombies/DCeased: Has heroes dying and turned into murdering rage filled monsters
    Original Sin/Identity Crisis: Has heroes investigating the murder of a long time supporting character where secrets are revealed, leading to increased tension and distrust among the heroes.
    Necrosha/Blackest Night: A villain brings back dead characters as an army to serve the villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Hmmm.... a DC Civil War event might be interesting, considering a good deal of DC heroes actually still have secret identities. But it would probably be a far more lopsided event since all the A list heroes would be on the anti-registration side.

Honestly I can't think of any DC events I necessarily would really want to take place in Marvel though. Most of their BIG events are reboots, and I woudln't want to see that in marvel.
    Batman's shenanigans messing up and dividing the Justice League happened in Tower of Babel and in Infinite Crisis is as close as you can get to a Civil War in DC.

In general, no. I generally don't like event comics but on the whole Marvel events read better than DC's.
    Secret Wars '84 > COIE
    The Infinity Gauntlet > Zero Hour
    Annihilation > Sinestro Corps War
    Infinity > Blackest Night
    Secret Wars 2015 > (Whatever the big DC event was around that time)

Something like the 52 Series might be worth doing in Marvel...one year without the FF, Avengers and so on, and how do the street-level and other heroes measure up and step to the plate could be interesting (but then Thunderbolts V1 started out with a similar premise Post-Onslaught).

BANNED

Batman's shenanigans messing up and dividing the Justice League happened in Tower of Babel and in Infinite Crisis is as close as you can get to a Civil War in DC.

In general, no. I generally don't like event comics but on the whole Marvel events read better than DC's.
    Secret Wars '84 > COIE
    The Infinity Gauntlet > Zero Hour
    Annihilation > Sinestro Corps War
    Infinity > Blackest Night
    Secret Wars 2015 > (Whatever the big DC event was around that time)

Something like the 52 Series might be worth doing in Marvel...one year without the FF, Avengers and so on, and how do the street-level and other heroes measure up and step to the plate could be interesting (but then Thunderbolts V1 started out with a similar premise Post-Onslaught).

Extraordinary Member

I am not familiar with a lot of DC stories, but Death of Superman was something that I actually read when I was younger. In the spirit of the thread, I would have liked to see the Thor story where he loses the hammer and it is given to Jane have been more like the Superman story. Thor dies. Dead. But then multiple Thors start appearing, Jane could be the lead still, throw in someone who might be Donald Blake, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am not familiar with a lot of DC stories, but Death of Superman was something that I actually read when I was younger. In the spirit of the thread, I would have liked to see the Thor story where he loses the hammer and it is given to Jane have been more like the Superman story. Thor dies. Dead. But then multiple Thors start appearing, Jane could be the lead still, throw in someone who might be Donald Blake, stuff like that.
    They sort of did it with Iron Man. We had 2 new Iron Man books with 2 new Iron Man stemming from his death in Civil War 2.

By this point it wasn't anywhere near as big a deal though. Modern comic readers are smarter about comic book deaths.

Extraordinary Member

They sort of did it with Iron Man. We had 2 new Iron Man books with 2 new Iron Man stemming from his death in Civil War 2.

By this point it wasn't anywhere near as big a deal though. Modern comic readers are smarter about comic book deaths.
    It is not so much about the Death part, just the follow up with introducing some different Thor type characters and wondering which if any had the actual hammer and stuff like that.

Hmmm.... a DC Civil War event might be interesting
    Injustice already exists.

BANNED

The closest to a DC CIVIL WAR thematically is the Cadmus Storyline from the JLU animated series. A government agency thinks supers need regulation, some members of the JL agree that Cadmus has valid concerns and that starts an internal schism that leads to some members fighting each other (Captain Atom and Superman).

Mighty Member

Dc heroes secret wars 84. Would have been cool. Teen titans could wind up with Lockheed the dragon,! Ted kord a black costume and Luthor becomes God. Wanna discuss this one further?

BANNED

Dc heroes secret wars 84. Would have been cool. Teen titans could wind up with Lockheed the dragon,! Ted kord a black costume and Luthor becomes God. Wanna discuss this one further?
    In 1984, DC still had the multiverse (it wasn't Post-Crisis yet) so if you mean Bronze Age DC Universe, then that version of Luthor lacked the oomph for a role that big. I know a lot of people like to see Luthor as DC's Doom but the two characters at the end of the day are completely different and occupy different niches in their universes. Certainly they did back then and I'd argue now. Luthor is certainly Superman's arch-enemy but it's not a case that by himself he's acknowledged as DC's biggest villain. Mostly because DC's biggest villain is The Joker. In DC, the villains are so tied to a single character and configured in that role, that neither Luthor nor Joker have ever really expanded to get in the face of multiple heroes and teams the way Doctor Doom was able to from the get-go. DC's biggest, most popular, and most frequently appearing villains are tied individually to characters and teams and don't have the versatility to keep that role and take on a bigger role; they don't have the versatility that Doctor Doom does.

DC never really had a universally acknowledged top villain for their universe. That's why for Crisis on Infinite Earths, they had to introduce the Anti-Monitor (a really dull character). Nowadays, Darkseid has that role (thanks to the cartoons) but for Darkseid it's about getting the Anti-Life Equation and becoming reality and not about becoming a god (which he already is). It would be cool to imagine a Doctor Doom/Darkseid face-off. Victor will be "Hmm' how do I jack this guy's powers" and then solve the Anti-Life Equation (because of course he does), hijacks Darkseid's powers and takes over Apokolips, and actually rules Apokolips better than Darkseid ever did.

Secret Wars is less of a big deal in marvel than DC because all the big names in DC are already on one team and regularly team up anyways. Seeing Batman right alongsie Superman and Wonder Woman is no big deal.

Marvel conversely didn't place all it's eggs in one basket to the same degree, so seeing Cap and Spider-Man and Wolverine and Hulk fighting alongside with each other was at the time a bit more rare. Less rare today given big events are now an annual thing... but it's still nowhere near what it's like with DC.

I suppose that's one of the differences between marvel and dc which arguably give their events a different feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In 1984, DC still had the multiverse (it wasn't Post-Crisis yet) so if you mean Bronze Age DC Universe, then that version of Luthor lacked the oomph for a role that big. I know a lot of people like to see Luthor as DC's Doom but the two characters at the end of the day are completely different and occupy different niches in their universes. Certainly they did back then and I'd argue now. Luthor is certainly Superman's arch-enemy but it's not a case that by himself he's acknowledged as DC's biggest villain. Mostly because DC's biggest villain is The Joker. In DC, the villains are so tied to a single character and configured in that role, that neither Luthor nor Joker have ever really expanded to get in the face of multiple heroes and teams the way Doctor Doom was able to from the get-go. DC's biggest, most popular, and most frequently appearing villains are tied individually to characters and teams and don't have the versatility to keep that role and take on a bigger role; they don't have the versatility that Doctor Doom does.

DC never really had a universally acknowledged top villain for their universe. That's why for Crisis on Infinite Earths, they had to introduce the Anti-Monitor (a really dull character). Nowadays, Darkseid has that role (thanks to the cartoons) but for Darkseid it's about getting the Anti-Life Equation and becoming reality and not about becoming a god (which he already is). It would be cool to imagine a Doctor Doom/Darkseid face-off. Victor will be "Hmm' how do I jack this guy's powers" and then solve the Anti-Life Equation (because of course he does), hijacks Darkseid's powers and takes over Apokolips, and actually rules Apokolips better than Darkseid ever did.

I would counter that Secret Wars is kind of what elevated Dr. Doom to that 'enemy of all Marvel'. Befroe that he really did stick around in Fantastic Four trying to get revenge on that 'Cursed Richards!!!!' But making him the leader of all the bad guys Basing the Toys around him, and having him be the one who WINS the Secret Wars and becomes a god has really defined him ever since.

Back then with the Super Powers line... they were pushing Armored Lex as the 'big bad guy' of DC... at least till Darksied showed up. He may not have EARNED the cred, but he was always the 'leader of the Legion of Doom...'