Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would counter that Secret Wars is kind of what elevated Dr. Doom to that 'enemy of all Marvel'. Befroe that he really did stick around in Fantastic Four trying to get revenge on that 'Cursed Richards!!!!' But making him the leader of all the bad guys Basing the Toys around him, and having him be the one who WINS the Secret Wars and becomes a god has really defined him ever since.

Back then with the Super Powers line... they were pushing Armored Lex as the 'big bad guy' of DC... at least till Darksied showed up. He may not have EARNED the cred, but he was always the 'leader of the Legion of Doom...'
    I think Secret Wars did a lot to elevate Doom, and to a lesser degree Captain America. Both sort of got established as being the leader or figurehead of their respective peers. But Doom especially, as he was arguably the main character of the event.

Thinking back, I think Secret Wars did more for helping to establish things in the greater MU than I gave it credit for at the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would counter that Secret Wars is kind of what elevated Dr. Doom to that 'enemy of all Marvel'. Befroe that he really did stick around in Fantastic Four trying to get revenge on that 'Cursed Richards!!!!
    I can forgive people for thinking that, but it's not true. Even before Secret Wars, Doctor Doom was Marvel's biggest villain. Doom was used as the main threat in that story because he already was Marvel's biggest villain.

Doctor Doom menaced characters across the MU from the beginning. His first appearance in a non-FF title was Amazing Spider-Man #5, and he made appearances in stories with Hulk, The Avengers, Daredevil and later on The Avengers and the X-Men all before SW'84. He even crossed over with Luke Cage in that famous double-parter where he stiffs Cage for $200 and triggers a one-man invasion of Latveria in response. Doctor Doom was also the headliner of his oviwn series in ASTONISHING TALES #01-08. No other Marvel villain got to do that in that time. Those stories established that Doom could work as a protagonist (and includes the first mention of Doom's mother trapped in hell). In 1981, three years before, you had the second Marvel Crossover -- Superman and Spider-Man where Doctor Doom was the main villain, and it was promoted at the time as "their best hero against our best villain" (with Spider-Man just along for the ride since until the first crossover, he doesn't have anything to do there).

So no, Doctor Doom was already established as Marvel's top villain before Secret Wars 1984.

He may not have EARNED the cred, but he was always the 'leader of the Legion of Doom...'
    Calling roll call and presiding over Grundy asking for a pair of pants diminished Lex more than it elevated him, in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    But Doom especially, as he was arguably the main character of the event.
    Not arguably. Doctor Doom is the main character of Secret Wars 1984 (and also Secret Wars 2015). He had most of the scenes, most of the dialogues, and the only real character arc in the first mini.

Thinking back, I think Secret Wars did more for helping to establish things in the greater MU than I gave it credit for at the time.
    Secret Wars 1984 is one of the most important and consequential, and also greatest stories, ever put out by Marvel. It did more to introduce a generation to Marvel comics than any title put out by Marvel, since Kirby left. It was the gateway series. And there's an entire generation of people -- Zdarsky, Coates, Ewing, Hickman, Russo Bros. -- who came to Marvel via SW'84.

Mighty Member

Well put! Would love a MCU SW two part film feat FF, X-Men and the rest. Could end with Doom taking over not half, but all the universe with our Heroes resisting in part 2.

Would love a DC nuff said silent story month and DC hip hop cover variants. Examples could include the suicide squad/the geto boys covers, St Dumas/36 Chambers, 2 live crew/89 JL...

For Marvel. Underworld Unleashed where Neron makes deals with villains to boost their powers. Lex Luthor just did something similar with Year of the Villain. Rich guys gives other villains a power boost. I think that could be used to ramp up some villains for Marvel.
    Eclipso could also be fun. The gems possessing people. Punisher for example.
    We'd have to do a lot of planning, but perhaps Forever Evil.

For DC
    War of Realms, but they might be doing that one already.
    Absolute Carnage or the Venom equivalent where people were infected with the symbiote.
    Maybe a Spider-Island, but it would need to obviously not be Spider-man powers everyone gets. Maybe Blue Beetle, everyone gets a scarab?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Boisterously Confused

I think Secret Wars did a lot to elevate Doom, and to a lesser degree Captain America. Both sort of got established as being the leader or figurehead of their respective peers. But Doom especially, as he was arguably the main character of the event.

I was nodding to myself about that last part until I recalled Super-Villain Team-Up. SW was a watershed for the 80s, but SVT did it several years earlier.

Tellingly, Doom was at the heart of both.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I was nodding to myself about that last part until I recalled Super-Villain Team-Up. SW was a watershed for the 80s, but SVT did it several years earlier.

Tellingly, Doom was at the heart of both.
    That's probably true. I didn't read Super villain team up stuff until long after Secret Wars, so I think Doom probably had a more elevated status even before that event. Most villains don't get their own book.

But getting that sort of treatment in a major company wide event (let alone arguably your first company wide event) is next level.

BANNED

That's probably true. I didn't read Super villain team up stuff until long after Secret Wars, so I think Doom probably had a more elevated status even before that event. Most villains don't get their own book.

But getting that sort of treatment in a major company wide event (let alone arguably your first company wide event) is next level.
    Secret Wars certainly confirmed and cemented Victor's status as Marvel's top villain.The interesting thing about Doom's apperance there was that in Byrne's FF at the time, Victor was on ice. He had a defeat and apparently transferred his body to a rando schlub. So his appearance in SW'84 and the new armor wasn't entirely in keeping with continuity.

So they went out of their way to roll the carpet for Victor. And Doctor Doom is the protagonist of SW'84 and SW'2015, it's basically his own sub-franchise. Doom's appearance in SW'84 rocketed him to popularity. Like there was a rapper called MF Doom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_Doom) who based his persona on Doctor Doom and quotes dialogues from SW'84 in his albums.

No other story captures the dichotomy of Doom like Secret Wars...you are absolutely rooting for him when he fights against the Beyonder but you also know that the story can't end with the heroes accepting him as god.

Astonishing Member

I'm mostly hoping for crossovers like "Justice League/Power Rangers" and the Hanna Barbera ones.

I mean I dont think Acts of Vengeance would really be too big a deal in DC. I mean every dc hero has pretty much fought ever other heroes Rouges so many times. I mean you kind of get that every time The LOD attacks the JLA. It wouldnt be anything new.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'm mostly hoping for crossovers like "Justice League/Power Rangers" and the Hanna Barbera ones.
    Which reminds me, Avengers vs Predator.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Mighty Member

What if Jimmy and supes were like Rick and Mary vell? He could tap negabands together and...