All-New Member

Question Catwoman Question (Patience Phillips)

So I'm assuming Catwoman, The Movie #1 (2004) was the first appearance of Patience Phillips, am I wrong? Also, did Patience appear in any other comic media outside of this movie adaptation? I'm asking as the 1960 Batman series had Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and she was a loved character/singer. Are there any other iterations of black Mystic Catwoman?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

She's just in the movie. The terrible reception of that film prevented her crossing over into the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's just in the movie. The terrible reception of that film prevented her crossing over into the comics.
    Yeah, unfortunately this. I actually like Patience and the movie itself. They are good and actually captures the essence of Catwoman (well, the Pre-Flashpoint version). BOP repeated that movie's mistake: slapping a brand on it with prepackaged expectations but then doing something completely unrecognizable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Draw10 View Post
    So I'm assuming Catwoman, The Movie #1 (2004) was the first appearance of Patience Phillips, am I wrong? Also, did Patience appear in any other comic media outside of this movie adaptation? I'm asking as the 1960 Batman series had Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and she was a loved character/singer. Are there any other iterations of black Mystic Catwoman?
    She appeared in the comic adaption of the movie. Black Catwoman have appeared elsewhere but they are based on Eartha Kitt

Quote Originally Posted by Draw10 View Post
    The Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar Catwomans were never actually given a secret identity so maybe Eartha Kitt was Patience Phillips and Julie Newmar was Selina Kyle.

Mighty Member

Both actresses are multiracial.
    The one drop rule is outdated, racist, and stupid.
    Black and white races are social constructs with no scientific basis, and they are outdated, racist, and stupid too.
    African doesn't mean black just like European doesn't mean white.
    The human race is far too diverse to pin then down as black, white, red, yellow, brown

Africa has over two thousand ethnic groups and that includes Nigeria with over 250 ethnic groups
    they are not a single black race
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-17-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar Catwomans were never actually given a secret identity so maybe Eartha Kitt was Patience Phillips and Julie Newmar was Selina Kyle.
    I agree with this

In Batman Year One Selina is portrayed with dark skin, but that's not followed up on later appearances by the character.
    I love Eartha Kitt's iconic portrayal of Catwoman, but Halle was a disappointment. I'm sure there's only so much she could do with that script.

Do we think that Kitt and Newmar's Catwoman weren't the same character despite the recast? I'm unsure about that.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I always view them as different because the way the show was aired in my place the Newmar story ended with her blackmailing Batman for marriage and then disappear to the ocean, and the next time Catwoman appears she's Kitt and there's no more chemistry between them.
    I don't know how it went in the original airing.
    I know they stop the romance angle because that's during the time heroes are forbidden to date villains

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    In Batman Year One Selina is portrayed with dark skin, but that's not followed up on later appearances by the character.
    I love Eartha Kitt's iconic portrayal of Catwoman, but Halle was a disappointment. I'm sure there's only so much she could do with that script.
    I never got that impression in Year One. I thought it's just the lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I always view them as different because the way the show was aired in my place the Newmar story ended with her blackmailing Batman for marriage and then disappear to the ocean, and the next time Catwoman appears she's Kitt and there's no more chemistry between them.
    I don't know how it went in the original airing.
    I know they stop the romance angle because that's during the time heroes are forbidden to date villains

I never got that impression in Year One. I thought it's just the lighting.
    Honestly I'm pretty sure that there was no romantic subtext with Kitt's Catwoman because she was black and the sixties were pretty racist.
    It is a little confusing as to whether Kitt and Newmar were playing different characters. I would've loved to see Newmar have returned and fought Kitt over the Catwoman mantle.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

See that's not enough of a joke to be from Batman '66. That show could be clever, but if it wasn't a punchline they wouldn't bother, so I just don't think that's what was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    See that's not enough of a joke to be from Batman '66. That show could be clever, but if it wasn't a punchline they wouldn't bother, so I just don't think that's what was happening.
    Maybe not, but the two animated movies based on it did. spoilers:
    In the first one, Batman gets clocked on the head and briefly sees all three incarnations of '60s Catwoman -- Jullie Newmar, Eartha Kitt, and Lee Meriweather -- while dazed. In the second one, Meriweather has a supporting role as Catwoman's lawyer, whom the thief ends up knocking out and switching clothes with. While the obvious point of the joke, a former Catwoman actress playing a character who winds up wearing a Catwoman costume, is there, I have heard the theory that the implication is that the lawyer was inspired to turn to crime, thus making Meriweather's Catwoman a non-Selina Kyle character who stole the mantle. There's no evidence to support this, although it does make the ending of the joke with the lawyer admiring herself in the mirror funnier.
    end of spoilers
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)