Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Bruce's father never beaten him?

While Ras is a good counterpart to Ozai, Talia is bit of a weird connection what with being a love interest...unless were now comparing Zuko to Nyssa al-Ghul which I guess makes Bruce Aang and Catwoman is Katara lol
    Thomas Wayne came back during Tom King's recent Batman run, beat the crap out of Bruce and emotionally/psychologically tormented him with help from Bane.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    But there have been broody prodigy shonen MCs with rivals:

Inuyasha wasn't a prodigy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Tynion thought he was doing something original but Bruce has a huge list of childhood friends,brothers,etc
    This is just another one with a shonen paint job so don't expect anything good

lready showing signs he doesn't really care about Bruce and is adding tropes to make him more palatable as a character
    sad
    Except those don't ever amount to being anything more than villains for Bruce, though. I wouldn't be so quick to count them.

Being a foil isn't equitable to being a Shonen-style rival. Not in and of itself.

Astonishing Member

Gotham Academy was more like Riverdale and other CW Teen Dramas than an actual shonen type series.

Closest comic that has come to shonen in recent years is Marvel's swordmaster.
    Warriors of Three Sovereigns does indeed flow like a Shonen series. I find it quite enjoyable because of that.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't watch the other two but in the case of L and Light who are more equal, I'm still having a problem imagining it because DC doesn't make Bruce's equal in the sense of two equally people fighting for what they think is right.

They make dark counterpart villains like Two-Face, Wrath, and the two Owl Man, and it's clear between them who's right.

The concept of two guys trying to enact their own justice and which justice is the correct one is better represented with Dick and Jason when they're fighting. Bruce and Jason and Bruce and Ra's have a different dynamic.

I think, specifically for that concept, DC's not gonna make someone equal to Batman who the fans can also root for being right because they don't want that. Even when they made Red Hood, he was written as a villain, and his popularity was unprecedented. They want Batman to be right and at the top.

Ghostmaker needs to be more than just a killer to be an effective rival to Bruce.

I'd say someone like Anarky with a defined if inconsistently upheld political beliefs would work better.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't watch the other two but in the case of L and Light who are more equal, I'm still having a problem imagining it because DC doesn't make Bruce's equal in the sense of two equally people fighting for what they think is right.

They make dark counterpart villains like Two-Face, Wrath, and the two Owl Man, and it's clear between them who's right.

The concept of two guys trying to enact their own justice and which justice is the correct one is better represented with Dick and Jason when they're fighting. Bruce and Jason and Bruce and Ra's have a different dynamic.

I think, specifically for that concept, DC's not gonna make someone equal to Batman who the fans can also root for being right because they don't want that. Even when they made Red Hood, he was written as a villain, and his popularity was unprecedented. They want Batman to be right and at the top.
    Ghostmaker and Bruce are fighting for the same thing in this case. The concept is that Ghostmaker comes back to Gotham to prove he is a better protector in the midst of all the Joker war related choas. I doubt this is an evil dark counterpart They're both trying to prove which method of justice is better.

Also shonen rivals come in different varieties. Some rivalries like Sasuke and Naruto or Light and L are about two different equals proving their way is better.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ghostmaker and Bruce are fighting for the same thing in this case. The concept is that Ghostmaker comes back to Gotham to prove he is a better protector in the midst of all the Joker war related choas. I doubt this is an evil dark counterpart They're both trying to prove which method of justice is better.

Also shonen rivals come in different varieties. Some rivalries like Sasuke and Naruto or Light and L are about two different equals proving their way is better.
    Oh, he's new. I didn't know. Yeah, that can work.

I think the problem with the concept is what some of you have hit on already in this thread
    Bruce has no one to envy or strive to be like or be better than because in Gotham everyone more or less bows to him.
    For this concept to work you'd have to create a character that is more or less accepted by the GCPD, becomes a bigger ally to his allies than Bruce and supplants him, and then you might also have to make Bruce lose Selina to whoever it is as well.

Bruce at his current position just doesn't seem like someone who has a rivalry with anyone he in my mind would be someone that others want to catch up to and use as a goalpost

Whoever Tynion creates will just seem inefficient unless a huge change sweeps gotham

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I think the problem with the concept is what some of you have hit on already in this thread
    Bruce has no one to envy or strive to be like or be better than because in Gotham everyone more or less bows to him.
    For this concept to work you'd have to create a character that is more or less accepted by the GCPD, becomes a bigger ally to his allies than Bruce and supplants him, and then you might also have to make Bruce lose Selina to whoever it is as well.

Bruce at his current position just doesn't seem like someone who has a rivalry with anyone he in my mind would be someone that others want to catch up to and use as a goalpost

Whoever Tynion creates will just seem inefficient unless a huge change sweeps gotham
    Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight. That's it. Only replace Selina with Rachel. He fits all the criteria. Same age, romantic rival, sense of justice, different method, more popular, he acknowledges that Gotham wants him. White Knight and Dark Knight of Gotham.

Where's the middle picture from?

I think Hush could fit the criteria but Dent makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Where's the middle picture from?

I think Hush could fit the criteria but Dent makes more sense.
    It's from Baccano

He reminds me more of Itachi than Sasuke. Sure Sasuke belittled Naruto a lot. But this whole "let me show how to do it right" thing feels more like a big brother thing(Itachi) than a rival thing(Sasuke).
    This:

Is more like this:

Than this:

I'm open to this character, hopefully the writing sells it...

The name could be better.

The costume is okay.

I'm trying to think of what the person behind the mask will look like, I can see a rich white guy or a rich asian guy would be obvious choices in their own way b/c we've seen variations of that so I'm expecting either or...

My question is what is the point in bringing in this character, Gotham is getting or is going to get a new mayor that is anti-vigilantism. How does Ghost-Maker hope to combat that?

Also, we know how this story ends so what is the point...

He reminds me more of Itachi than Sasuke. Sure Sasuke belittled Naruto a lot. But this whole "let me show how to do it right" thing feels more like a big brother thing(Itachi) than a rival thing(Sasuke).
    This:

Is more like this:

Than this:
    I don't see any itachi resemblance, honestly.
    I don't think he's doing what he's doing to show Bruce how do do it right or whatever but rather do upstage him, prove he can do better which is probably a whole thing from their training days, which shows a considerable level of arrogance which further shows he is quite opposite to Bruce. Based on solicits a lot of conflict between them is going to come from how they handle things and who's the better protector of Gotham. When we strip it to its core, it's the classic "who's better" rivalry we see so often in Shonen.
    Last edited by GSman; 10-10-2020 at 06:29 PM.