Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Are hero/hero fights and feuds too overused in comics? And why?

In the mid-2000s, we started to have events where the superheroes were either fighting each other or just against each other. And, it was usually over something stupid or pointless. DC's Identity Crisis had Batman learn that other heroes mind-wiped him after he found out they did the same thing to Dr. Light. This caused him to turn against everyone. Meanwhile, Marvel had Civil War, which had superheroes fighting over whether or not to reveal their identities to the public. Unfortunately, all of this led to years of events where the heroes were always going at it over things that were easily resolvable, especially at Marvel. My question is if anyone feels that they have gotten too common? And also, why are comics so reliant on them?

Boisterously Confused

This has been the Marvel Way since the FF went to track down The Hulk back when their title was just barely in double digits.

Image.jpg

A frequent way to promote a new character was to have them duke it out with an established character.

Image.jpg

Even before Marvel, DC was using that trope.

Image.jpg

What I will agree with you on is that back in the day they didn't make entire multi-month events out of it. Writers have also put a lot of effort into forcing fans to pick a side and demonizing the other.

Of course, that sounds a lot like most American disagreements these days.

How about Avengers Vs Xmen. How many times has that been done?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    That's relatively recent. If one thing has changed its been that both sides used to come to respectful accord, if not happy ones. They didn't continue seething at one another to promote the illusion of change.

They aren’t common at all. Civil War is really the biggest one, and any Batman ones don’t really count because he’s supposed to be at odds with his teams. Most stories stick to the hero fighting their rogues or sometimes other heroes rogues for one reason or another. If anything I would like to see more hero vs hero/villain vs villain stuff.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's relatively recent. If one thing has changed its been that both sides used to come to respectful accord, if not happy ones. They didn't continue seething at one another to promote the illusion of change.
    Not too relatively recent. The first time was back in the 80s. But yeah, once upon a time, the fights used to be exceptions to the general respect the teams had for each other.

Also, as for the Hulk, the green guy tends to blur the lines of heroism. He's often a menace and force of nature.

And the Green Lantern comic is what established their ages-old friendship. There was also brainwashing hanky panky going on. After that, they bro-hugged and arguably became DC's biggest superfriends.

Not enough hugging these days.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Retired

The first time that the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch meet--in MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 8 (June 1940)--they fight. The first time that a group of D.C. and All-American heroes get together--in ALL-STAR COMICS 3 (Winter 1940)--they have dinner and talk over their old adventures. The worse things get in the first meeting of the Justice Society is when they razz the Red "Tomato."

Invincible Member

That one goes back to the mid-60's. The first time was in X-Men #9 ( I think). Then there was a mini-series in the mid 80's. The conflicts never seem to last beyond those particular stories though. Which makes sense considering how friendly some of the members of the different teams were with each other and swapping members and what not.

Invincible Member

This has been the Marvel Way since the FF went to track down The Hulk back when their title was just barely in double digits.

Image.jpg

A frequent way to promote a new character was to have them duke it out with an established character.

Image.jpg

Even before Marvel, DC was using that trope.

Image.jpg

What I will agree with you on is that back in the day they didn't make entire multi-month events out of it. Writers have also put a lot of effort into forcing fans to pick a side and demonizing the other.

Exactly. If you were a fan, whatever happened in the story you didn't feel like your favorite character got chumped. And ironically, even though superhero comics are written for an older audience, the fights make even less sense now. In past it would be either a misunderstanding or coercion/mid-control by the villain or something. These days it's over the thinnest or "political" reasons.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Not sure this qualifies but I always thought the feud between Scott and Logan over Jean has got to go, I mean permantly, I know now they are chummy but as soon as Jean and Scott were both back alive there was that kiss between them with a frowning Logan in the back just to let us all know that this feud isn't going anywhere completely.

Most disagreements in general. However, I believe pop culture is turning away from that in favor of morally ambiguous things such as TWD.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Not sure this qualifies but I always thought the feud between Scott and Logan over Jean has got to go, I mean permantly, I know now they are chummy but as soon as Jean and Scott were both back alive there was that kiss between them with a frowning Logan in the back just to let us all know that this feud isn't going anywhere completely.
    Yeah you really need to read some X-men books now, Wolverine and Scott are pretty chummy right now. Lets say they learned how to share

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    TBH, there really never was a feud over Jean. There was a brief mild attraction that suddenly got overhyped by certain fairly recent writers in the quest for false edginess.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I've loved every time it's happened, but I could stand to see the X-Men fight Alpha Flight more.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    TBH, there really never was a feud over Jean. There was a brief mild attraction that suddenly got overhyped by certain fairly recent writers in the quest for false edginess.
    I always thought it was a sure thing that they outright hated each other at the time because of Jean partly, especially on Logan's end, and I thought it started up again during Whedons run, and then Schism,