Fantastic Member

Default Characters that deserved better from their stories

I had recently read an article about several TV characters that deserved better from the storylines that they got. I didn't really agree with the entire list, but it did get me thinking about characters in all forms of media and fiction that had gotten a raw deal at the end of their stories. Characters who should have gotten either a happy ending or at least a better resolution. Characters that were mistreated by the writers, the producers and even the fans. I can think of some, like certain characters on any show by Shonda Rimes. More examples: Laurel Lance on Arrow. Hank Pym, the first Ant-Man in Marvel Comics.

Here is the article:https://tvline.com/lists/tv-characte...worst-endings/

I dont really agree that Raj on Big Bang deserved better. His character was so needy and so pathetic that he was no fun to watch. There was never any growth. he would date a girl and fall in love by the end of the date and get heart broken when after he rushed things they called it off. I mean look what happened with Claire. he was dating Emily and met Claire and talked to her for all of ten minutes at the comic book store and he was already planning this perfect life with her. If they grew his character a bit maybe he deserved better. But he was the only one who stayed pretty much the same through the whole show. The only thing that changed was that he could talk to girls after a bit. He is not just my least favorite character on the show but in pretty much all of tv.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-13-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Though it was rectified years ago, i remember being pretty upset at how the Powerman & Iron Fist book ended.
    Danny beaten you death (in his sleep!), and Luke a wanted fugitive, accused of killing his best friend.
    That was crap.

The ending for Jack Monroe. He had a good solo for awhile, was frozen. Then turned into Scourge in Thunderbolts without any kind of fanfare until the reveal. Then is killed by Winter Soldier, for no reason I'm aware.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    The ending for Jack Monroe. He had a good solo for awhile, was frozen. Then turned into Scourge in Thunderbolts without any kind of fanfare until the reveal. Then is killed by Winter Soldier, for no reason I'm aware.
    To clear the decks whilst establishing who the real bad@$$ Bucky was. I agree with you. While I won't claim Nomad was ever a great character, he deserved better than that. It was after his solo (IIRC) that he morphed into an angry loser in the pages of Cap's title.

Another contender: Battlestar. A lot of potential in that one after parting with USAgent, and utterly squandered.

Captain Marvel/Photon/Spectrum/Whatever We're Using Now: Great character, maybe pushed a little by her creator, but not ridiculously so. Nobody knows what to do with her. I'm hoping the MCU will breath her some fresh air into her.

Extraordinary Member

Here’s a few examples from different mediums that pop out to me:

Comics - All the returning characters in New 52 Teen Titans under Scott Lobdell, especially once the Culling was over; it started to feel like DC and Lobdell genuinely disliked those characters for being successful in previous series for reasons that DC didn’t like (Cassie being a smart leader in Young Justice, Superboy having a heart of gold under a crass exterior, Kid Flash being a fun goofball, Red Robin being a successful legacy character who didn’t need a reboot at all). Heck, when they screwed over Solstice when she’s only been around for a few years, that kind fi showed how little they respected those characters.

TV - Laurel from Arrow. They clearly got frustrated with her not being the type of female lead they wanted, since fans liked her just trying to be Black Canary and didn’t like her being a lazily written version of a CW female lead. The fact they almost immediately started trying to write Felicity as that lazy CW female lead once they went tha5 direction shows it was more about wanting a formula to work but refusing to do it well.

Games - The Batfamily in Arkham City. The story didn’t gain anything from treating everyone as hostage gadgets to lazily progress the story, and given its attempt to be a finale for the story, leaning on the family and showing them respect would have worked far better. Not to mention that having the other two most known Robin in the same game as Jason Todd really should lead to some confrontations between them.

Movies - ...Everyone in The Last Jedi and Rise Of Skywalker. Arguably the only character really used well in those two films was Luke... and he’s still the most heavily debated element, since you can argue that while the performance is fantastic and it’s th beset written part of the story, it still does nothing for Rey’s story and *can* be considered pretentious and out of characters. Everyone else in TLJ though? Disrespected, misinterpreted, or screwed. Finn got condescendingly ignored and regressed, Rey got hollowed out to be Kylo’s abused and weakly defined shallow girlfriend, Poe and Holdo got a crappily written story that wasted both of them for a botched message, and Kylo got wasted on behalf of a Ben Solo who never showed up. TROS got screwed because it had to try and fix TLJ’s mess but still honor its more stupid ideas.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Lyra, daughter of Hulk from the future. In fact most of the gamma people during the time of Doc Green. Let's shift her off to an unknown dark dimension, and casually mention we found her later.

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Of course there was a reason Winter Soldier killed him. You can't have two gun toting jaded ex-Buckys running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Of course there was a reason Winter Soldier killed him. You can't have two gun toting jaded ex-Buckys running around.
    Of course. Thank you.

captain-obvious-approves.jpg

If television shows getting the rug pulled out from under them counts...

- The "Television..." version of Deadly Class left off in a decidedly frustrating place. When you factor in the sorts of changes and things that stayed the same in the jump from the page to television, it was sort of upsetting to see that they had to leave things where they did.

As for "These Characters Straight Up Deserved Better Than They Got...", it's totally the "Television..." version of Preacher.

Past that they essentially abandoned the three main characters from the comic, almost every time that they managed to stumble onto something that was even remotely interesting they completely flubbed it.

Take the "Television..." Preacher "Bobby Singer" character who had been a friend of Jesse's father. Completely wasted.

Jesse's childhood in Angellville? Complete waste of time and story that could have been spent on actually making Jesse a deeper character. Never mind the way that the show short changed Jesse's mother.

Just a straight up train wreck start to finish.

Another one where I seem to be the only person that feels this way...

The "Television..." version of The Boys.

I just cannot fathom how you go from the complicated, dark characters from the comic to what feels like a Scary Movie version of those characters.

Huge letdown.

I could name so many people from Game of Thrones on Season 7 and 8. I mean, Dany and the Lannisters alone would be a big start... but so many.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

My choice would be the demise of Genis-Vell (Captain Marvel of the '90s)...

IMHO, the only blemish in Fabian Nicieza's extraordinary run on the Thunderbolts.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

There are some characters on that list that I agree deserved better, but none more so than poor Judy Winslow...

Having just completed another rewatch, Star Trek: DS9 is fresh in mind currently - don't even get me started on Jadzia Dax!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES