Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default why does it seem like people who have kids suddenly turn into G-Rated Versions Of Themselves?

not all people of course but a good chunk seem like they want to reinvent themselves for the kids after having one and especially when it concerns celebrities that doesn't always pan out too well

i understand wanting to focus on your kids that's great and all but not everyone needs to flip a switch and become a completely new person after that
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 08-17-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Because babies are like sponges. They absorb everything around them, the good and the bad and as they grow older and begin to adopt behaviors and develop their personality based on their referents in this case the parents.

PD: pole

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    not all people of course but a good chunk seem like they want to reinvent themselves for the kids after having one and especially when it concerns celebrities that doesn't always pan out too well

i understand wanting to focus on your kids that's great and all but not everyone needs to flip a switch and become a completely new person after that
    In many cases, having kids means having to actually grow up and take responsibility for a life other than your own. That changes a lot of people, forcing them to look at the world through a new lens. It's a big part of the reason why being married and having a family gets you lower insurance rates; you are perceived as more mature and a lower risk. Doesn't always pan out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man View Post
    Because babies are like sponges. They absorb everything around them, the good and the bad and as they grow older and begin to adopt behaviors and develop their personality based on their referents in this case the parents.

This. ......
    "Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
    Nah, never happen.
    Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    In many cases, having kids means having to actually grow up and take responsibility for a life other than your own. That changes a lot of people, forcing them to look at the world through a new lens. It's a big part of the reason why being married and having a family gets you lower insurance rates; you are perceived as more mature and a lower risk. Doesn't always pan out, though.
    And this. ...
    "Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
    Nah, never happen.
    Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Also, the government tends to frown on you taking your kids to a rave.

BANNED

After you have kids, it isn't about you any more. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man View Post

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    As a parent of two, one who just turned 13 today, I can attest to these.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    After you have kids, it isn't about you any more. Or at least it shouldn't be.
    However, very simply this is the reason. It is unfortunate that this doesn't always happen as codystarbuck points out. But I fail to see how people can't. Those people I hope realize before they have kids that the life is not for them rather than after.

Edit: Also G rated probably isn't the good description of how well I act around my kids, since I play Gears of War, Halo and Army of Two (all Mature rated games) with them. Or my oldest has already seen the Alien movies, Predator and Terminator. However, he cannot play Grand Theft Auto (well the post Vice City ones) or watch A Time To Kill or Sleepers, even if he wanted to. You'll learn what your kids are capable of absorbing as they grow up, even if the material is unconventionally not for children. It's up to the parent to see the behavior of their children and if certain things are affecting them, or if there are just some things that you know they will learn about the world as an adult, that you don't want to spoil their childhood with now.
    Last edited by bloodofthegods; 08-17-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

After you have children, chemicals alter your brain to make you want to take care of them and look out for their well being. I heard it off the internet, so it's probably true. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post

We have a generational cohort that it's parents failed to do this to some extent. They're the mid-range Millennials (a.k.a. hipsters, 23-28 year-olds). We want more Oregon Trail kids (1980-1984), younger Millennials (18-22 year olds), and older Millennials (29-36 year olds) that care for their family and community as well as being willing to work for it.

We don't want more of those hipsters. We don't want another entitled generational cohort (like the mid-range Boomers).

That's why we do it when we have kids.

We decided we won't want to raise fucking hipsters.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    After you have children, chemicals alter your brain to make you want to take care of them and look out for their well being. I heard it off the internet, so it's probably true. Or not.
    That's just the caffeine. That's normal.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Kids ruin everything. End of story.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Kids ruin everything. End of story.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

world that hates & fears trudreck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    We have a generational cohort that it's parents failed to do this to some extent. They're the mid-range Millennials (a.k.a. hipsters, 23-28 year-olds). We want more Oregon Trail kids (1980-1984), younger Millennials (18-22 year olds), and older Millennials (29-36 year olds) that care for their family and community as well as being willing to work for it.

We don't want more of those hipsters. We don't want another entitled generational cohort (like the mid-range Boomers).

That's why we do it when we have kids.

We decided we won't want to raise fucking hipsters.
    these are all very odd things to say ..

BAZINGA!!

#midrangemillennials
    ''IT WAS A NICE PIECE OF WORK ... YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SIGNED IT.''

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Because ideally you want your kid to grow up to be a better person then you are, the goal is the make every generation better then the last, not worse. Though given what a poor job so many modern U.S. parents do at raising kids I don't think we are really succeeding at that.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!