View Poll Results: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

113 77.40%
  • No!

33 22.60%
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Baby Andi. She's adorable. KSD's run on Aquaman has been solid and you should check it out.
    I still need to get around reading Drowned, but thanks. I hope that Arthur still keeps an eye out for Manta, we don't want to repeat what happened to the other Aquababy (well unless that you are Valkanai )
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Thems fightin' words! Stay away from my son! You don't wanna catch these hands! Lol
    Eh sure, I accept your challenge, but I get to pick the battlefield!

...I pick Jon's grave.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I still need to get around reading Drowned, but thanks. I hope that Arthur still keeps an eye out for Manta, we don't want to repeat what happened to the other Aquababy (well unless that you are Valkanai )
    I'm already on the phone offering Manta all my money to get this job done.

Seriously, what the hell? Why is there such a huge push these days to give everyone in DC/the Justice League children? Are all the comic book writers'biological clocks ticking?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

KSD promised she won't let anything happen to that kid as long as she's around... But she's leaving soon, so hopefully the guys with the grimdark fetish are the ones who got let go and we don't see another baby get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Seriously, what the hell? Why is there such a huge push these days to give everyone in DC/the Justice League children? Are all the comic book writers'biological clocks ticking?
    Is an easy gimmick to generate interest i supposed. I kind of partial to it because i'm a big fan of Mayday Parker (she is better than most teen heroes and spider-satelite characthers of today), so i don't really mind and it can be pretty compelling it done well. Some of then really suck, like 98% of Wolverine kids and Skaar.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

...I pick Jon's grave.
    That's straight up cold.

Not as cold as Jon's corpse, but cold.

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Is an easy gimmick to generate interest i supposed. I kind of partial to it because i'm a big fan of Mayday Parker (she is better than most teen heroes and spider-satelite characthers of today), so i don't really mind and it can be pretty compelling it done well. Some of then really suck, like 98% of Wolverine kids and Skaar.
    At least Mayday is kind enough to exist in a parallel future.

I kind of like Jon as a character, and I hate to vote to "kill" any character, but I don't think that the Main Prime Timeline Superman should have had a kid in the first place.

I wish we could pull a pre-Crisis and get a "Superman Family" series that tells stories about Mr and Mrs Superman - concurrently with a Main Primary Superman in Action Comics and Superman who does not have kids, who still has a secret identity.

Too much of Superman's world revolves around Jon, ever since Rebirth. I think it's a big problem. I wouldn't want Jon to go away entirely, but I'm sick of him being the center of Superman's universe, and the only way to resolve that, is reboots, parallel universes, or murder.

Murder will just make people upset, reboots are overdone, so I say, stick Jon and his parents in one universe, and put a more independent version of CK in another as DC's Main Superman.

Hell, if Jon and his parents get a universe to themselves, maybe Clark could even retire and Jon could become Superman himself one day - leaving the Main Clark unharmed and still in the cape where he belongs, in the majority of DC books.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Lol does Aquaman having a kid really matter that much to you? Dude’s been tied at the hip to Mera since the New 52, not like he’d get to be hooking up with other women. I get that you hate superheroes having kids in principle.

...I pick Jon's grave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's straight up cold.

Not as cold as Jon's corpse, but cold.

Thank you both for giving me some of the best laughs of the day.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I kind of like Jon as a character, and I hate to vote to "kill" any character, but I don't think that the Main Prime Timeline Superman should have had a kid in the first place.

I wish we could pull a pre-Crisis and get a "Superman Family" series that tells stories about Mr and Mrs Superman - concurrently with a Main Primary Superman in Action Comics and Superman who does not have kids, who still has a secret identity.

Too much of Superman's world revolves around Jon, ever since Rebirth. I think it's a big problem. I wouldn't want Jon to go away entirely, but I'm sick of him being the center of Superman's universe, and the only way to resolve that, is reboots, parallel universes, or murder.

Murder will just make people upset, reboots are overdone, so I say, stick Jon and his parents in one universe, and put a more independent version of CK in another as DC's Main Superman.

Hell, if Jon and his parents get a universe to themselves, maybe Clark could even retire and Jon could become Superman himself one day - leaving the Main Clark unharmed and still in the cape where he belongs, in the majority of DC books.
    How about kid Jon, Damian, Wally's kids, and a few others star in "Super Kids", while making more cameos in their parents' books, like when Clark gets home from work and heroing, Lois gets done writing, and Jon gets back from helping his friends in time for pizza and movie night?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol does Aquaman having a kid really matter that much to you? Dude’s been tied at the hip to Mera since the New 52, not like he’d get to be hooking up with other women. I get that you hate superheroes having kids in principle.
    Typically it wouldn't bother me - but on top of Batman and Superman getting kids it's just too damn much. Aquaman can have a kid maybe, in a world where only he does. But at this overcrowded stage I say kill them all.

I'm curious. Why do heroes having kids bother people so much? Outside of Tomasi's Superman and Batman & Robin (the latter of which would obviously have a heavy focus on Damian) they really don't get in the way of the hero's solo adventures nearly as much as people say they do. Wally was doing just fine with his kids. Animal man and Black Lightning too. Hell, a good chunk of Marvel heroes (including freakin Deadpool) are parents and that still doesn't get in the way of their adventures as heroes.

I understand the push-back with Jon since, again, Superman ended up being more about him than the titular character. But other than that, I just don't really see the problem. These characters are all adults in their late 20s to mid 30s. They're gonna get married. They're gonna hook up or sleep around (especially since being a superhero seems to be like...the horniest profession ever). And,sometimes that means they're gonna have kids. I always just saw it as another reminder that, beneath all the fantasy and grandeur, these people are still...well....people. It's no more different than them having jobs and love interests when they take off the capes and tights.

But then, I've always been that weird guy who's thought that a superhero's personal life is often just as interesting as their adventures as heroes. Hell, in some cases, I find it to be more interesting.

I'm curious. Why do heroes having kids bother people so much? Outside of Tomasi's Superman and Batman & Robin (the latter of which would obviously have a heavy focus on Damian) they really don't get in the way of the hero's solo adventures nearly as much as people say they do. Wally was doing just fine with his kids. Animal man and Black Lightning too. Hell, a good chunk of Marvel heroes (including freakin Deadpool) are parents and that still doesn't get in the way of their adventures as heroes.

I understand the push-back with Jon since, again, Superman ended up being more about him than the titular character. But other than that, I just don't really see the problem. These characters are all adults in their late 20s to mid 30s. They're gonna get married. They're gonna hook up or sleep around (especially since being a superhero seems to be like...the horniest profession ever). And,sometimes that means they're gonna have kids. I always just saw it as another reminder that, beneath all the fantasy and grandeur, these people are still...well....people. It's no more different than them having jobs and love interests when they take off the capes and tights.

But then, I've always been that weird guy who's thought that a superhero's personal life is often just as interesting as their adventures as heroes. Hell, in some cases, I find it to be more interesting.
    Very often they aren't introduced in a very natural way or the fans just don't find the idea or dynamic interesting, is probably more a matter of personal taste really or feel that it ages the main heroe too much. Other times, they just don't the kid interesting or think that is breaking the status quo too much, at the end fans their preferences in what they want the characther to be, in the case of Superman well they have so many ideas of how he should be but writers hadn't done a good job in giving him a consistent creative direction, so Jon is like another gimmick on the pile, or in the case Wally West fan they want him to have something to do again that is not getting constantly humillated.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think a lot of readers want these characters to be escapist fantasies and don't consider relationships, marriage and kids something they find appealing (and may in fact be the thing they want a break from). It doesn't bug me, and I'm trying not to strawman too hard here, but it has to be something to that effect.