View Poll Results: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

113 77.40%
  • No!

33 22.60%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't this thread supposed to be about Jon?
    Don't bring him into this. Let the poor boy think everything is still working in the 21st century while he's busy trying to understand how dating works a thousand years from now.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Don't bring him into this. Let the poor boy think everything is still working in the 21st century while he's busy trying to understand how dating works a thousand years from now.
    I would rather the character learned something beneficial to the genre he is part of like say how to deal with politcs, many different cultures ,martial arts, ethics... Etc and growing. Not dating. I don't read supercomics for fluff. The kid is more about adventure and family. Shipping nonsense is blah!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-26-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I would rather the character learned something beneficial to the genre he is part of like say how to deal with politcs,martial arts, ethics... Etc and growing. Not dating. I don't read supercomics for fluff. The kid is more about adventure and family. Shipping nonsense is blah!
    I don't know how to respond to that.

Is romance really the only thing that should be off-limits?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don't know how to respond to that.

Is romance really the only thing that should be off-limits?
    Who said anything about off-limits?
    What i mean is, if people think of jon kent they should think wierd goofy adventures with friends and family. If romance is the first thing people think of jon's existence in the future. Then the emphasis and priority is wrong. He is action adventure character with family as base theme. He is a superson who goes on grand expeditions . The character is that simple.Even bendis run has never left that mark.The kid was exploring things, should always be exploring new possibilities as a true man of tomorrow and man of action would.I am kind of glad that jon is the one who came up with the idea of united planets. Granted its simplistic .But, the kid is simple adventurer who learns simple things and applies it in broader perspective. He has been to many worlds and seen many truths. So, it makes sense.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-26-2020 at 09:21 PM.

I would rather the character learned something beneficial to the genre he is part of like say how to deal with politcs, many different cultures ,martial arts, ethics... Etc and growing. Not dating. I don't read supercomics for fluff. The kid is more about adventure and family. Shipping nonsense is blah!
    It was a joke. The conversation had skewed so far from Jon Kent I felt it would be better to spare the kid the torture of a thread gone AWOL. Of course he needs to learn more than dating, but he's of the age where that's going to be on his mind and he's surrounded by a ton of attractive people with their own unique worlds and customs. I imagine that kid's hormones are going crazy and he's only got it under control because he's a Lane-Kent.

It was a joke. The conversation had skewed so far from Jon Kent I felt it would be better to spare the kid the torture of a thread gone AWOL. Of course he needs to learn more than dating, but he's of the age where that's going to be on his mind and he's surrounded by a ton of attractive people with their own unique worlds and customs. I imagine that kid's hormones are going crazy and he's only got it under control because he's a Lane-Kent.
    For me, jon is superman in a way. Sometimes more than clark. I view it as legacy of the phantom kind of deal. I don't believe in names. only actions and implications matter. There are many phantoms. He is a legacy character Immortalised by legacy. So, as long as the kid embodies what a superman is. He is superman. He doesn't need the title in-universe for that.

Ofcourse, he would find girls or boy or other attractive( depending on the sexuality) . But, i don't believe a kid like jon would be thinking about it that hard nor should that be main priority. There are tons of stories left with kid in genre itself before we can go past that to mix. He is a bit of a swashbuckler. Gals are trying catch him as of now. He was at first searching for familiarity in his campus environment so he brought along damian. Then when he couldn't have him be there. He was trying to better educate himself in new setting for future in the past. Not saying he is prude or oblivious like a shounen character generally is depicted as. I don't want that. But, so far the stories are focused on jon's development. I know, there is implications of saturn girl, triplet girls and dawnstar going after jon. I fairly want it to restricted to mere foot notes it is so far. People can ship them.if they so choose to.

Moreover, i knew what you were going for. It's just superman's lack of actual content worth something in the genre he pioneered is very sour subject for me. Superman is only left with zorro's romantic love triangle and romance that way. Not the larger than life personality, romance of different kind and swash buckling adventures nature of the character .
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-27-2020 at 12:02 AM.

It's weird how you keep comparing him to Zorro when Batman has the clearer influence, especially in his bronze age resurgence under O'Neil and Adams. I suggest you give that stuff a look sometime. It may be up your alley. It's my personal favorite incarnation of the guy.

Batman is closer to the ghost who walks and Zorro than Clark, who himself I'd argue is a bit more I'm line with Doc Savage and the burly pulp figures as opposed to swashbucklers. Not saying he was a lumbering brute, mind.

Actually, give Doc Savage a look if you haven't already. You may quite like some of his adventures based on your post history.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-27-2020 at 12:34 AM.

It's weird how you keep comparing him to Zorro when Batman has the clearer influence, especially in his bronze age resurgence under O'Neil and Adams. I suggest you give that stuff a look sometime. It may be up your alley. It's my personal favorite incarnation of the guy.

Batman is closer to the ghost who walks and Zorro than Clark, who himself I'd argue is a bit more I'm line with Doc Savage and the burly pulp figures as opposed to swashbucklers. Not saying he was a lumbering brute, mind.

Actually, give Doc Savage a look if you haven't already. You may quite like some of his adventures based on your post history.
    Nope! Batman even in goldenage had the personality of a stick. The character reversed the zorro's duality. Batman had personality of a stick. While bruce was the debonair. Superman on the otherhand took the concept as is, added comedy and absurd perspective on it, so much so the character directly acknowledged the audience. Superman fairly had personality of zorro. He was swashbuckling debonair beating up corrupt and helping damsels in distresses.Doc savage was also an adventurer and man of bronze.But,doc savage didn't have the Debonair flair or showmanship of zorro,Which superman had in spades. Clark on the other hand preferred laying low. Another character that superman is inspired of is tarzan. Who is conflicted between the two worlds. He posses the qualities of the known and the unknown. There is this dangerous side and untamed side to the character . Superman should be winking at people/cameras ,while smiling and Just oozing charima like zorro though.Superman should have style.

Believe me, if i see more the old pulp heroes in batman i would. But, he subverts many aspects of shadow, zorro, holmes... Etc.Subversion is not same as the actual thing. Ofcourse there is batman who is similar to zorro. He is terry mcguinness. But, in a more thuggish way like clark.

As for phantom, both superman and batman have nothing to do with the character. Superman and phantom are both inspired by tarzan, circus strongmen... Etc.batman and phantom used to have circus strongmen in common. Now, batman is a ninja. He barely has anything common with phantom
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-27-2020 at 04:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Ok. So you think a person with social anxiety and a person who likes to generally avoid attention like that can't be superman? Is that what you are saying? Sounds to me like you hate clumsy clark kent persona, bruce wayne and many versions of peter parker.
    Please don't straw man what I'm saying. All those heroes have loads of connections and have members of families and super-hero groups that they share private things with.

Hmmm!If you say so. Because i don't see it. I mean, i didn't see man of steel superman scream "i am kal el the Kryptonian". He actually said, "krypton is dead". Which is what byrne superman did. The codec thing, keelex.. Etc there is a fair amount byrne superman in man of steel. Where do you think krypton being a dystopia cane from? . He even kills zod like the postcrisis superman did. The arc with Darkseid that happened in byrne run and tas was the one that may have happened in snyder movies. Finally, are you kidding me? Tas superman tells straight up to wally that he does have feelings like justice lord superman many of the time.you need to take a deeper look at what you are consuming. Cause, byrne superman is one of the supermen snyder superman is based on. Heck! More so. Snyder's whole thing was "superman needs to embrace humanity". Just watch any of his interviews.
    He didn't have to be Shakespearian to embrace his kryptonian heritage, inn fact he almost seems to be happy to destroy what's left of it. The codex went nowhere in MOS or B vs S. Having influences from Post-Crisis is not the same as being identical to it. Post Crisis Superman hated killing people, and tried to avoid it, how he executed Zod was completely different, as well. The only thing they have in common is that he was involved in Zod's death. That's it. Having doubts about his evil self is being human, which is more than I can say for Snyder's Superman, which is why he stopped himself from going down that path. Snyder Superman never said a word about killing Zod or how he felt about the massive casualties in Metropolis. We know he withdrew from the world but not why, and that would be an interesting story to explore but that wasn't what Snyder did. I've watched his interviews, it's not that insightful.

Nope!tas superman would have gone of the rails if lois died. So much for having more connections.Finally i suggest, if you want to champion a paragon like superman who is extroverted, intelligent, who doesn't sulk much, doesn't kill, doesn't cause destruction, is generally more aimed at younger audiences. Then you should champion silverage superman. Sure, he has Superdickery but those were comedy (most of them). Just remove or revamp that aspect you would have your superman. Just remove the christ imagery from all star superman we have silverage superman . Postcrisis superman wouldn't be consistent with what you want from a superman. He is more like snyder superman. So is tas guy.
    Again, similar but different. TAS Superman did not look up to or do the same things Justice Lord Superman did, that's why they fought. Please don't move the goal posts on who TAS Superman is based on. Post Crisis and TAS Superman did all of that. But you haven't said why TAS Superman is like Snyder Superman, only Justice Lord Superman fits that description.

So I guess there just weren't enough threads about people whining about Snyder's Superman. And I think anyone who watched JL and thought Lord Superman is like Snyder's needs to watch that show again.

Any for the actual question this thread is about, yes I would like Jon to survive.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-27-2020 at 05:39 AM.

So I guess there just weren't enough threads about people whining about Snyder's Superman. And I think anyone who watched JL and thought Lord Superman is like Snyder's needs to watch that show again.

Any for the actual question this thread is about, yes I would like Jon to survive.
    The Snyder take has become an albatross hanging around this forum's neck for so long I just peace out eventually. I can't anymore. I just can't. I'm starting to believe this forum needs a rule that derailing threads into Snyder debates should warrant post deletion or a ban. Make general Snyder threads and be done with it. Literally every thread. Hell, Batman/Superman threads are up there too and I'm guilty of that.

Keep Jon. He's a good addition to the cast and I feel that in another year or two he'll finally cool a bit and won't be so goddamn central to the Superbooks. He should still be important, but yeah, you could argue he was co-lead or even the protagonist of Tomasi's run.

The thing about this thread is, jon would survive unless there is any change comics format itself and audiences it targets. Even then, supersons and even the legion with jon as concept is fairly able to attract young audiences. It's fun, entertaining... Etc. Has character progression. It makes enough sense. Yet, doesn't cling to realism.So i am fairly certain this thread being brought up again is because of snyder superman. Believe i generally don't even like syder superman. It's just isn't for me. But, i do understand the perspective being put forth.

Not only do I not want him to survive, I'd gladly provide the kryponite to do him in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not only do I not want him to survive, I'd gladly provide the kryponite to do him in.
    Man, don't steal my thunder there. I'm the poster with the nickname Laufeyson, that's my job to say it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Man, don't steal my thunder there. I'm the poster with the nickname Laufeyson, that's my job to say it here.
    If the kid dies damian would go crazy, become space hitler, take out justice league and their entire rogue gallery. And when gets to marvel universe he will kill loki as well. Mwahaha! Injustice done right!
    He would be like "You let Jon die.He was my little brother.You took him from me"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-27-2020 at 08:58 AM.