View Poll Results: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

113 77.40%
  • No!

33 22.60%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

I'd rather they start from scratch. I liked Superboy best as Superman's adventures when he was a boy. I wouldn't mind an updated version of the 1950's and 1960's books and use that as the reality. I think DC needs to simplify. I'd also like to see done in one stories. At four to five bucks a book, you should get a complete story or two.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If the kid dies damian would go crazy, become space hitler, take out justice league and their entire rogue gallery. And when gets to marvel universe he will kill loki as well. Mwahaha! Injustice done right!
    He would be like "You let Jon die.He was my little brother.You took him from me"
    I'd also gladly provide for Damian's death too. I hate the "sons".

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If we were to reboot the universe, I wouldn't be bothered by Damian going away either.
    I like the kid a lot in Morrison's run and Seeley's Nightwing run, but that's it.

Damn. All the Jon and Damian hate hurts my soul. I love those two almost as much as I love the NTT and Johns era Titans xD

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Damn. All the Jon and Damian hate hurts my soul. I love those two almost as much as I love the NTT and Johns era Titans xD
    Jon's great, but the best thing Damian ever did was polish the Heretic's blade with his chest. That kid sucks. Everyone brings up how he's so great with Dick and Jon without realizing it's because those two have so much charisma they make that little brat bearable by association.

If Damian wants to win more people over, he should die in a humiliating fashion and stay dead. That should warm people to him.

I disagree. Damian is great when paired up with Dick, Steph, and Jon but I've always found him to be just as great on his own too. I've been following him since Morrison's Batman and Robin and it's been a real treat seeing how much he's grown and changed, even at times where it feels like he hasn't. And I'm saying this as someone who used to be a huge Tim fan and hated Damian when he first came onto the scene. I'm a sucker for a good redemption story and he's got one of the best that I've ever experienced.

He's still an arrogant little brat and, right now, he's going in a direction that I'm not very...fond of. But there is a huge difference between the Damian we have now and the Damian we got when he was first introduced. And I think that's what I really like about him. Seeing how much he's stayed the same on the outside while also noticing how much he's grown on the inside. From his actions, to his motivations, to his interactions with others. I've just found his development to be...so compelling.

((It also helps that he's basically a more uptight version of one of my favorite anime characters ever. Even before Jon was a thing, Damian always gave me serious Killua vibes. So there's probably a little bias there too lol))
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-28-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Well I've been reading him since he was first introduced and not once have I enjoyed him. Every book he's in that I've enjoyed has been despite him, so yeah, he sucks and always has. Neither Morrison or Tomasi have sold me on him and he was best under their pen. Even Dini, who I love, want able to in Streets of Gotham.

Vote Yes on Damian Wayne for #CoffinStuffer2020.

Lol Well I can't argue with that. There are definitely a lot of popular characters that I'd like to see stuffed in a coffin (Hi there, "Wallace" West)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Really? Like we're not drowned out by the Jon and Damian love on this forum?
    Hurts my head how so beloved they are around here in such a short span. Blegh.

Jon quickly became one of my favorite DC characters. Just a fun character (until Bendis). So of course I want him around. Could do without the slash shipping in fanfics though. Or at least not so much of it.

Damian, not quite a favorite of mine (and the current direction he's been given in Teen Titans and what not is not goof), but I still enjoy his character. Him being a "little ****", is part of that charm. Granted, its not for everyone, but I do quite enjoy it. That is, when he's written by writers that "get him". Which even includes a number of fanfic writers. Under other writers, they either go overboard in one certain aspect (Glass) or completely miss his characterization (Bendis).

Where Damian has really shined, was with characters like Suren, Colin, Maya, Dick, and yes, even Jon. Characters that don't just let him do whatever, but can actually guide him to new (for him) experiences. Like actually being a kid. Something that Jon and Dick are some of the few to actually do.

Astonishing Member

I typically find heroic characters more essential to a story than villain ones.

I would gladly get rid of someone like Luthor before I even think of getting rid of Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Could do without the slash shipping in fanfics though. Or at least not so much of it.
    Yeeeeah, that's...unfortunately the downside of fandoms and the internet. Nobody, regardless of age, is off limits in terms of shipping. Trying to find good Super Sons fanfics that aren't romantic or sexual is a lot harder than I wish it was lol

Like actually being a kid. Something that Jon and Dick are some of the few to actually do.
    She's often forgotten about because their interactions were all before Flashpoint, but the same can be said for his relationship with Stephanie Brown. Those two together were great. It's such a shame that we likely won't ever get that back.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well, then dick and jimmy are sons also. You know what happened to snyder for killing off jimmy and dick. A **** ton of backlash.

if damian and jon dies. The entire league of shadows would go on berserker streak. Dick, lois, alfred, Bruce and clark would just do some mumbo jumbo and bring them back.Superman would probably break time barrier again.

After today nope kill his ass if nothing else for having absolutely no taste!

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, then dick and jimmy are sons also. You know what happened to snyder for killing off jimmy and dick. A **** ton of backlash.

if damian and jon dies. The entire league of shadows would go on berserker streak. Dick, lois, alfred, Bruce and clark would just do some mumbo jumbo and bring them back.Superman would probably break time barrier again.
    Jimmy isn't a son, he's a pal. And there's a huge difference here - time. Decades and decades of time. Judging killing off a character very one knows of in a Hollywood movie is not the same as killing off a kid in a comic only comic fans know of is not the same and you know it.

Furthermore why are we even discussing this theoretical backlash? The question was do I want this kid to survive, and I don't. Is there a rule that I can't want something because of other people's backlash to it? That I can't hope for something because it's not likely to happen? I just want Jon gone, all this other stuff doesn't change that for me.

And finally, all the character and story stuff you mentioned? Yeah that doesn't count. How you think it'd play out isn't how it has to play out. Stories have to get approved, a general "we can't have too much fallout from this take over the stories and we won't allow these characters to be brought back," fixes that problem.

I don't get it - it's obviously not going to happen, as much as I despise it the kid's probably here to stay. Why does me wanting him to get killed off threaten you? I don't have any power over DC.