View Poll Results: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

113 77.40%
  • No!

33 22.60%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Poll: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Simple poll.

Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era or whatever relaunch/reboot that takes place next year? And when I say survive, I mean either you want the character to continue (either as a teenager or pre-teen) or you want him erased/killed/limbo'd...whatever.

Not only do I want him to survive, I want DC to take this new reboot they are doing starting in January to make Jon and Conner official sons of Lois and Clark, both potential inheritors of the Superman name, but have 1 follow Clark's philosophy, the other to have a different opinion on how he wants to use his powers or maybe philosophically disagree on the situations in which his power should be used. Example - should it be used on "Superman Level threats only", or to fight "street crime". Who's methods and ideology would be the bigger influence? How about giving Supes a daughter too. The stories of teaching Jon how to use his powers were awesome, but due to changes in the "timeline" not fully explored. How about having a story where Lois is doing her thing gets into her usual scrapes that Clark let's her handle on her own, but her kids don't! The bust in and make a mess of all of her work! What if one of the boys actually looked up to their grandfather Sam Lane and wanted to be a soldier that he could mold?? The possibilities are endless as long as you have a clear vision and can articulate it to the public. Of course, you'll have your haters who won't like anything that wasn't associated with Superman from the day he was first created, but the growth of the character and his universe is long overdue. He deserves to have his numerous Robins/Spoilers/Bat Girls and even Red Hood (Lor-Zod)!!

Its pretty close to a definite he will. But if I had my way he'd be erased to oblivion never to return. If anything my hatred of the character has grown instead of settling into something I can at least tolerate, which is what I hoped would happen over time because I knew he wasn't just going to be a short term thing. I don't think he's a concept that's going to be around forever, but I don't see it going anywhere now. I'm quite certain they'll just de-age him, so my best realistic hope is just that it doesn't include a renewed Rebirth tone. Going back to Superdad era is the last thing Superman needs, and I think Bendis was right to minimize it even if I didn't like the way he ultimately went about doing it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-13-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I do, but I think he should be de-aged following a return from the Legion. That lets the Legion book exist in a bubble before he goes back and returns to his proper age as well as having the most successful iteration of Jon to exist; having one's cake and eating it too.

However, I mean this sincerely, if he's ever going to have legs as a character he needs more Lois in him. Right now he's just his dad on a sugar rush and that should stop.

There should be a hell yes option.

Sure as I never hated the kid. I just hated how they brought him in the first time but I got over it. I don't hate Bendis aging him up, I just never felt Bendis did anything with him that was worth it.

So here's hoping they do more with him that is new and exciting.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I definitely don't. My feelings pretty much match Sacred's on this matter.

However, if we get a direction for the books that I overall like and Jon has a minimal role in the main books, I can deal with him.

Pre-teen. Leave the Legion. and get back with Robin on the Super-Sons

Yes, but turn him back to his 10-11 years old, he was a much more unique and marketable character.

Start over. Bye Jon.

I never was a fan of giving these characters kids. Jon, Damian, just no all around.

Incredible Member

Yes, with him being deaged/reset to being 10-11/ how he was before Bendis aged him up via that experience on Earth 3.

Yeah reset him back and toss him over to Tomasi for a new Super Sons with Damian. I’ve got no interest in a married Clark and Lois with no Jon, they went as far as they could with that Pre-FP. If they’re getting rid of him, might as well undo the marriage and let Clark date Maxima or Lana or someone (not WW) else.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I never was a fan of giving these characters kids. Jon, Damian, just no all around.
    Why not?

10c

As a fan, the answer is a hard NO. Clark isn't the kind of character who should have kids, that is a joy he should be denied and I think Clark having a happy functioning family works against the innate alienation that serves to balance out all of the positives in Clark's life. Clark is a less dynamic and compelling character because of Jon.

But as far as the business of it all goes, I have to resentfully answer "yes." Jon's got some fans and offers ways to branch the brand out and nab new readers in a way Clark can't. In the same way Coke benefits from Cherry Coke and Diet Coke and all the other derivatives, Clark's brand benefits from Jon. Clark's *character* doesn't, but the *brand* does and in the end, business wins.

So I voted "yes."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.