View Poll Results: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

113 77.40%
  • No!

33 22.60%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

As far as fans of Superman goes, my answer is unfortunately no. I always thought that giving Clark's child is a bit too cruel to him, considering one of the premises of his character now is an alien in the world that is not his. Having a happy functioning family is just too cruel for him because he will always be different from the others and if the child is not a Kryptonian and instead of a human, it would be even crueler.

I voted yes. But really, my answer depends on what happens to him after Bendis and whether or not the damage will be undone. The Jon I'm a fan of has already been dead for like two years. I'm just patiently waiting to see if he'll come back.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As a fan, the answer is a hard NO. Clark isn't the kind of character who should have kids, that is a joy he should be denied and I think Clark having a happy functioning family works against the innate alienation that serves to balance out all of the positives in Clark's life. Clark is a less dynamic and compelling character because of Jon.

But as far as the business of it all goes, I have to resentfully answer "yes." Jon's got some fans and offers ways to branch the brand out and nab new readers in a way Clark can't. In the same way Coke benefits from Cherry Coke and Diet Coke and all the other derivatives, Clark's brand benefits from Jon. Clark's *character* doesn't, but the *brand* does and in the end, business wins.

So I voted "yes."
    I feel for you and SacredKnight, dude. You guys must not be enjoying the double scoop of Living Kents and Superdad and Supermarriage waffle cone DC's got on special right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I feel for you and SacredKnight, dude. You guys must not be enjoying the double scoop of Living Kents and Superdad and Supermarriage waffle cone DC's got on special right now.
    You see that clip from Smallville making the rounds on Twitter right now? As someone who prefers the Kents being dead, if we got more conversations like this: https://twitter.com/nerdwopinions/st...258804736?s=21
    I’d be ok with them being back. Something beyond the empty pep talks and “wholesomeness” that so many seem to think constitutes good writing. The Kents as actual people with flaws instead of the embodiments of small town Conservative family wisdom that puts those uppity city people to shame. Blows my mind that Smallville Kents are still my favorite Kents.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I guess that all depends on what I'd think of the Legion when I finally catch up. Otherwise I'm kind of indifferent. I did get a few good years of it so I can deal without it
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Honestly unless they deage him no cause the character I liked has been gone for a quite a while this inserted white canvas OC teen superhero Bendis writes is not Jon to me. I said it before I'll say it again I would have just preferred he killed the kid off in a blaze of glory, at least than Jon would of had a solid send off and it would have provided some story for Clark and Lois. Bendis butchered Jon and Clois solidifying them as the worst parents ever at least as far as DC hero's. So if deaged yes if not kill off the one we got now stealing his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Honestly unless they deage him no cause the character I liked has been gone for a quite a while this inserted white canvas OC teen superhero Bendis writes is not Jon to me. I said it before I'll say it again I would have just preferred he killed the kid off in a blaze of glory, at least than Jon would of had a solid send off and it would have provided some story for Clark and Lois. Bendis butchered Jon and Clois solidifying them as the worst parents ever at least as far as DC hero's. So if deaged yes if not kill off the one we got now stealing his name.
    No way, Batman and Green Arrow are still the worst in that regard. Every single one of Bruce’s kids have died and Ollie’s screw up with Roy is legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No way, Batman and Green Arrow are still the worst in that regard. Every single one of Bruce’s kids have died and Ollie’s screw up with Roy is legendary.
    I feel like Bruce and Oliver's screw ups are consistent with their character's faults and have some in story logic. I mean just read Death in the Family, Batman incorporated, stuff like when Roy did heroine etc. And then Clark and Lois in Bendis's stupid Unity Saga nonsense? lol, nope steer that right into plot induced stupidity.
    Anyway the worst dc parent is Deathstroke and Darkseid. But as far as heroes goes, Bendis put Clark and Lois pretty close to the bottom.

As others have said; it depends on which one we're talking about. If its the fake that Bendis has been parading as Jon for two years now, then whatever. Not even much of a character anyway.

If its the real Jon, well, already went two years without him. Barring a few fanfics that actually do a good job in characterization. If its under Tomasi, or a similar writer that actually likes Jon and can write him, I'd be all for it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    As far as fans of Superman goes, my answer is unfortunately no. I always thought that giving Clark's child is a bit too cruel to him, considering one of the premises of his character now is an alien in the world that is not his. Having a happy functioning family is just too cruel for him because he will always be different from the others and if the child is not a Kryptonian and instead of a human, it would be even crueler.
    Clark isn't Bruce. He isn't meant to be defined by misery and alienation. An angsty teen-ge Clark in a world with no other heroes might have moments where he feels isolated by his unique abilities, but by the time the JLA forms that type of stuff should be gone. And a guy who is happily married should not be dwelling on hs lack of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Clark isn't Bruce. He isn't meant to be defined by misery and alienation. An angsty teen-ge Clark in a world with no other heroes might have moments where he feels isolated by his unique abilities, but by the time the JLA forms that type of stuff should be gone. And a guy who is happily married should not be dwelling on hs lack of humanity.
    Misery no totally agree. Alienation? That’s a different story. Clark has always very much been the guy who struggles to fit in, who is worried about being rejected. It’s part of what makes him relatable, the fear that at any moment the in-crowd can cast you out for being other. And we’ve gotten some great stories about how Clark has sometimes felt like he doesn’t belong on Earth. For The Man Who Has Everything. Exile. Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Saga. Being torn between two worlds yet wondering if he ever truly belongs to either is key to the character imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Why not?

10c
    I could list the reasons, but then you'd want to respond to those on why it's good or whatever and there'd be a debate, and I am just so over debating it now. I've already had that debate once or twice here. I just don't like it, never have and never will.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    As others have said; it depends on which one we're talking about. If its the fake that Bendis has been parading as Jon for two years now, then whatever. Not even much of a character anyway.

If its the real Jon, well, already went two years without him. Barring a few fanfics that actually do a good job in characterization. If its under Tomasi, or a similar writer that actually likes Jon and can write him, I'd be all for it.
    This is my take on it. Regardless, jon didn't fix anything with superman as a character other than give context to superman being a paternalistic dork when bad writers get a hold of the character.But, i do believe jon was a better protagonist than clark in rebirth. He had a personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You see that clip from Smallville making the rounds on Twitter right now? As someone who prefers the Kents being dead, if we got more conversations like this: https://twitter.com/nerdwopinions/st...258804736?s=21
    I’d be ok with them being back. Something beyond the empty pep talks and “wholesomeness” that so many seem to think constitutes good writing. The Kents as actual people with flaws instead of the embodiments of small town Conservative family wisdom that puts those uppity city people to shame. Blows my mind that Smallville Kents are still my favorite Kents.
    This is my general feeling regarding kents. Moreover, i don't want superman associated with kents. Clark is their son that's it. Superman as concept should be created independently.There are lots of moments like that. The problem with smallville was the way it was framed, lack of quality and the general teen drama tone(but that's their demo.so,not a problem ). Heck! Green arrow was fantastic in that series.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

He will survive anyway, because Lee has already confirmed that there will be no reboot, but only a relaunch, which means that nothing will simply disappear, quite the opposite, they try to keep it all included, which is Snyder's point with Death Metal. And it makes no sense for them to get rid of Jon, since in their current situation it is extremely unreasonable to create an extra negative, especially considering that they are now trying to remove everything negative. Under DiDio it was possible, now it is not.
    I vote yes, but only if there is a deage. I love Jon's concept and I like Clark being a father, but under Bendis, he was turned into a frankly empty character with no interesting stories and relationships. Plus, he's not much use right now because we already have Connor returning, two Superboy the same age, what's the point?
    I hope (and I am convinced) that the old child version will be back. The only thing I would like to see him add are the traits of Lois, perhaps to make him a little more problematic (no, not an anti-hero, just not make him an exact copy of Clark), it's just necessary, since a lot has already been told with him in Tomasi's Superman and Super Sons. Yes, and this will be relevant, given that Damian is now also going through a difficult period, perhaps this will allow the Super Sons to be made again, but this time different in terms of their tonality.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 09-14-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Mighty Member

Actually yes...

I prefer Conner, BUT the young Jon with Damian as SuperSons was awesome and I would like to see them as a new Version of Young Justice while Tim,Conner,Cassie,Bart get aged up and form a new team with their Pre-Flashpoint Team-Mates.