View Poll Results: Do you want Jon to survive the post-Bendis era?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

113 77.40%
  • No!

33 22.60%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How is any of this cruel? Clark has at least one cousin who is alive.
    While Clark has Kara as another survivor, but I think even then it's still cruel for him to have happiness with a family that will be outlived by him.

Lois might but will Jon really be outlived by Clark? Sure he's half human but, if I recall, the DC universe seems to work on Saiyan logic, where being a hybrid somehow gives you the potential to be even stronger than a full blooded Kryptonian (at least according to Batman).

For all we know (and I really wouldn't be shocked if this is the case), Jon's not only got the same longevity as Clark, but his could be for even longer lol

Oliver apologized to Roy and they reconciled over that decades ago. That's about the one mistake he's made as a parent and while flawed he is nowhere near as bad as Bruce.
    So? That doesn’t mean he didn’t completely botch how he handled that. That they reconciled doesn’t erase the failure of Ollie’s mentorship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Lois might but will Jon really be outlived by Clark? Sure he's half human but, if I recall, the DC universe seems to work on Saiyan logic, where being a hybrid somehow gives you the potential to be even stronger than a full blooded Kryptonian (at least according to Batman).

For all we know (and I really wouldn't be shocked if this is the case), Jon's not only got the same longevity as Clark, but his could be for even longer lol
    Nah Jon is long gone by the time of the Legion of Superheroes let alone DC One Million. I’m fine with his powers potentially being greater than Clark’s but I want the trade off to be he has a normal human lifespan.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-14-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So? That doesn’t mean he didn’t completely botch how he handled that. That they reconciled doesn’t erase the failure of Ollie’s mentorship.

Nah Jon is long gone by the time of the Legion of Superheroes let alone DC One Million. I’m fine with his powers potentially be greater than Clark’s but I want the trade off to be he has a normal human lifespan.
    One moment of failure doesn't define their entire relationship. If this was a repeated pattern with Oliver and Roy I'd agree but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    While Clark has Kara as another survivor, but I think even then it's still cruel for him to have happiness with a family that will be outlived by him.
    Who says he's going to outlive them?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

If we think that DC One Million as canon then Jon is long gone by that time and Clark is still alive.

If we think that DC One Million as canon then Jon is long gone by that time and Clark is still alive.
    And given that Snyder directly referenced and used the DC One Million toys in his JL run, for the moment it’s still the canon future. Of course that could always change lol.

BANNED

Who says he's going to outlive them?
    I am using the rhetoric which is DC One Million. Because in DC One Million, we don't see Jon and likewise in Legion, we don't see Jon too, but we see Supergirl, which came to me that Jon might have normal human lifespan, not the Clark and Kara situation where they aging but very slowly. Heck, even in Batman Beyond there is no Jon, while Damian of all people is in that comic.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well, if you promise not to debate it.
    1. Not all of us are in DC for the "legacy", in fact legacy is one of my most hated aspects of fiction in general
    I disagree. As a fan of "the immortal ghost who walks" the phantom and wally west, legacy is fantastic. Especially, when done the right way. It's just superman's later version don't hold a candle to the former(my opinion). Moreover, dc doesn't do legacy in a mythic and larger than life way like phantom does.The phantom oath is especially near and dear to me.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons shall follow me"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Honestly unless they deage him no cause the character I liked has been gone for a quite a while this inserted white canvas OC teen superhero Bendis writes is not Jon to me. I said it before I'll say it again I would have just preferred he killed the kid off in a blaze of glory, at least than Jon would of had a solid send off and it would have provided some story for Clark and Lois. Bendis butchered Jon and Clois solidifying them as the worst parents ever at least as far as DC hero's. So if deaged yes if not kill off the one we got now stealing his name.
    Just wanting to chime in and say Supersons already made them awful parents. Their son disappeared in far less ssupervised adventures and they couldn't care less.

BANNED

Well, I hope not. Because I want Jon to be more human than Kryptonian, an idea is that Jon will always be closer to humans than Clark is the idea that I want people to explore more. I don't want Jon to be some kind bootleg Clark's kid just for marketing, at least Jon needs to have some kind of the stigma that differentiate him from Clark and that is his human part. Where he can be stronger or weaker than Clark, but he approached his power in different ways that Clark won't think about.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, I hope not. Because I want Jon to be more human than Kryptonian, an idea is that Jon will always be closer to humans than Clark is the idea that I want people to explore more. I don't want Jon to be some kind bootleg Clark's kid just for marketing, at least Jon needs to have some kind of the stigma that differentiate him from Clark and that is his human part. Where he can be stronger or weaker than Clark, but he approached his power in different ways that Clark won't think about.
    If you mean by human taking the sun explanation and flight away. Well then, good riddance. He can be human and more powerful. Those aren't mutually exclusive. This is fiction.Moreover, i would prefer jon learn and grow to be better at everything he wants.i would have him be the mischievous, sometimes a dick, sometimes a bully self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Just wanting to chime in and say Supersons already made them awful parents. Their son disappeared in far less ssupervised adventures and they couldn't care less.
    Nope! They snuck off most of the time and got caught. The only time that wasn't the case was in the mini series which had severe restrictions.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well, if you promise not to debate it.
    1. Not all of us are in DC for the "legacy", in fact legacy is one of my most hated aspects of fiction in general
    2. I'm one of the "illusion of change" guys, I don't want these stories progressing too far. That kind of thinking that gives us "the logical next step after marriage is kids" is the same that gives us aging, retiring, dying, and legacy stuff. Superman should be eternal, not aging (however slowly) like the rest of us. Time isn't something I want in my comics.
    3. He's an orphan from another world, the adopted son of earth. If he's got to be given a family it shouldn't be by birth.
    4. Superdad. God no. This characterization has got to go. And being a family man unfortunately helps it to stick. Superman shouldn't be such a "dad"

So for those reasons, I don't want Jon existing. Not as Superman's son. Just no.
    Fair enough. Thanks for elaborating.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I don't like Jon. Mostly cause he killed Superbro in one way or another.
    Bad editorial stewardship and bad writing killed New 52 Superman. Jon's existence may have accelerated his end,but in some ways,New 52 Superman died the moment Grant Morrison left and Greg Pak wasnt put more in control and they let Lobdell,John's and others run him into the ground. For all intents and purposes they were slowly moving away from the elements that defined New 52 Superman (or Superbro as you call him) as that version even before Jon was even a thing. DiDio for some reason got infatuated with the idea of Jon and from then on things began to move in that direction.

Also DC's asinine marketing of him at the start and their insistence of openly denigrating previous versions of the character and by proxy,his fans, to prop up the "new and improved " version didnt do him any favors among the older fans like myself either. I personally grew to like him under Morrison and Greg Pak's pen,but the bitter aftertaste left in my mouth over that initial period did color my perception of him overall.i was far less willing to put up with the bad patches of New 52 Supes than I was with the bad patches of the previous version.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-15-2020 at 06:06 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I feel for you and SacredKnight, dude. You guys must not be enjoying the double scoop of Living Kents and Superdad and Supermarriage waffle cone DC's got on special right now.
    Yeah DC makes it awfully hard to remain a Superman fan sometimes.

I can get down with most concepts if they're presented right though. Like Jon; I don't think Clark should have kids. At all. But I understand why Jon is viable from a business perspective and he *can* be a fun character. It's just that DC ignores Clark's personality and history to make him fit the story. Had DC done what Sacred suggested, and walked us through the pregnancy and Clark and Lois learning how to be good parents, then that would've been a solid, character defining/expanding arc and I'd likely have gotten behind it just like I support the marriage. Instead they threw Jon out there fully formed, and instead of showing us Clark growing as a person and learning how to be good with family, we just transition directly into the Rockwellian Americana crap that does not fit who Clark is, and fits only a flawed idea of who non-fans *think* he is.

It's always about the execution.

Except with the Kents. There's no reality out there where the Kents being alive in the present day is good for Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.