Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Default What next for Bendis?

With Bendis wrapping up his Superman in December and potentially his Legion, what would you like to see Bendis on next? This is, of course, assuming he's staying with DC after the reshuffle in editorial and management. And, honestly, I'm mostly addressing this to people who want to see more from Bendis at DC. I know loads of people hate his stuff so let's just take that as a given.

I would definitely give him a solo rather than team book and it might be fun to see what he can do with a Jessica Cruz book. Maybe even, dare I say it, a Wally West book? Too soon, fellow Wally fans?

What would be interesting, though, would be to see what he could do with a 12-issue limited series. All his runs at Marvel were very lengthy and he seems to outstay his welcome according to most fans, while also clearly padding a lot of his comics in terms of story (I personally don't mind it when its character-based but certainly do when it's a full issue or more of people punching one another. Putting a 12-issue constraint on him may well do wonders for him in the same way that that format seems to be the key to having Tom King (who is quite a similar writer) produce his best work by far. Want proof? Check out his amazing Batman Universe to see what he can do when he is limited by space and not bound by continuity.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Give him Condiment King. That's it.

As a kid i really enjoyed his Ultimate Spider-man. But after Civil War 2 and his Superman... let him do Naomi, that boring Leviathan stuff or whatever. I don't trust him with any of dc's major properities.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'd like him to take over green arrow. It seemed like the character's book ended because he was supposed to have a big role in event levithan, but then nothing really came out of that

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'd like him to take over green arrow. It seemed like the character's book ended because he was supposed to have a big role in event levithan, but then nothing really came out of that
    Tim Drake solo. Heavy emphasis on his relationship with the rest of the YJ4 and Stephanie, plus give him a civilian support cast. Detective and street level heroics, and juggling a life in the mask against life as a teen.

It hits all of Bendis' strengths. Youthful protagonist? Check. Street level? Check. Solo book? Check.

Also, it would make for an interesting counterpoint to his Marvel work, where his seminal stuff is on DD and Jessica Jones. Both very traumatized, heavy characters who live in a dark, tragic world and cope by doing what they can to make it not that. Tim occupies that same kind of world, but does so as a radically different character, who could have different kinds of reactions and solutions. A chance for Bendis to look at idealism vs. naivete through the eyes of a character who is a little bit better adjusted that Matt or Jessica. A chance to flex familiar muscles, but from a completely different perspective.

He’s going to get another book(s): https://twitter.com/brianmbendis/sta...040972288?s=21
    Something big enough to get me to clear the deck. It’s all super exciting but it’s months away and we’ll talk about it all when the world isn’t literally on fire ( I’m in portland)
    My guess is Detective Comics, Tomasi has just been writing filler so far. Either that or Justice League.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah and that's kind of why I don't want him taking over Ollie.

Oliver being on any sort of agency that is in some way a super spy organization is really, really weird for him. I've toyed with the idea of him being on an Outsiders iteration lead by Black Lightning, but even that's a stretch. He can be on the JLA because they broadly act as first responders who deal with big threats, so it fits him enough, but Bendis made him a detective spy character and that's not Oliver Queen for me.

It has to be something big or appealing for him given how excited he seemed over it and his willingness to leave Superman. I want it to be Nightwing, but I doubt that's it.

Spectacular Member

Something street level and a solo book. He definitely needs to be gotten off legion. Something like Green Arrow, Nightwing or Red Robin. Though I have a feeling he'll get Flash or Green Lantern

Outside of his imprints, I would say he might go back to street level heroes, I can see him writing Green Arrow, I can also see him doing a Bat book like writing for Nightwing or Red Hood. It'd be interesting to see him write for a female hero but outside of Renee Montoya, I'm not sure what other female superheroes I could see him writing, so we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Something street level and a solo book. He definitely needs to be gotten off legion. Something like Green Arrow, Nightwing or Red Robin. Though I have a feeling he'll get Flash or Green Lantern
    Definitely. He does his best work with street level heroes. I would love to see him write a Manhunter series.

Also he needs to do Naomi season 2 before he leaves DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s going to get another book(s): https://twitter.com/brianmbendis/sta...040972288?s=21

My guess is Detective Comics, Tomasi has just been writing filler so far. Either that or Justice League.
    I can see it being Justice League. Maybe even two JL books (the second one likely being called Justice League of America). A bat book wouldn't surprise me, he already did the Walmart one. Just based on Young Justice #18, it'd be nice to see Tim and Steph get a book by him (probably called Robin, but with Steph as a co-star). Green Arrow would suit him and he was already using Ollie in Leviathan.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Justice League seems like the obvious choice, along with season two of Naomi and I don't see him leaving Legion of Super-Heroes any time soon.

Astonishing Member

I hope it will be Green Arrow or Nightwing, maybe something about Tim. Street-level characters are best for him.
    It can be Green Lantern, but I hope it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I hope it will be Green Arrow or Nightwing, maybe something about Tim. Street-level characters are best for him.
    It can be Green Lantern, but I hope it's not.
    That’s another option given Morrison seems to still be planning to exit after S2 wraps. I wonder if Bendis would want to write Hal or one of the other Lanterns?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Let's put him back together with Marc Andreyko and have them riff on Leviathan/Manhunter titles.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.