View Poll Results: How would you rate Flash Rebirth (2009)

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5* Masterpiece

4 6.45%
  • 4* Good

17 27.42%
  • 3* Average

9 14.52%
  • 2* Bad

18 29.03%
  • 1* Disaster

14 22.58%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Rating and thoughts on Flash Rebirth (2009)

What did you guys think of Flash Rebirth by Geoff Johns and how would rate it from 1-5?
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-25-2020 at 09:03 AM.

I voted 2. For the reasons I have stated in the other thread. It isn't a total disaster as I like some of the artwork. I hate to give EVS credit but he is a good artist.

Extraordinary Member

I thought it was probably one of the better Flash family stories that celebrated what went on before since probably Waid. I just wish it wasn’t delayed constantly.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Bad.

-Giving Barry a tragic backstory where his father is framed and jailed for murdering his mother goes against the spirit of the character and saddled him with poor stories and mopey characterizations for years since.

-Bart was written out of character for the sake of meta-commentary

-Barry (despite already being a saintly figure) was made the all-important Flash across all time, and the "creator" of the Speed Force.

-Thawne suddenly drew from the "Negative Speed Force", a hammy concept with no real purpose

It wasn't a total disaster in and of itself because the art was cool, Thawne was menacing, the Flash family was emphasized, and "those were for charity, Clark" is an all time great moment. But you could easily call the repercussions of that story disasterous.

Incredible Member

Giving my personal thought on the mini series I thought it was very good. It was sort of my first real look into the extended DC universe instead of just Batman and Justice League and I think Johns did a great job. It pushed a lot of DC history to the forefront and really showed great respect for the Golden and Silver age. It also just felt pretty big with other superheroes being present while never taking away from the Flash Family. And it has one of the best superhero dunks of all time.

I know some people have problems with the negative speed force or Nora Allen being killed by Thawne but those didn't bother me. To me Nora's death was developing Thanwe more as a character than developing Barry. I see it time and time again that Johns turn Hal and Barry into Batman but I really don't see the comparison besides dead parents. Barry only brings up his mother when he is investigating her case on his own time. It was never said that is what made him become a superhero. As for the negative speed force I really don't care if it was dumb or not. I thought it worked fine

I also don't think i need to give EVS any introduction or gush over his art.

overall it was an enjoyably fun Geoff Johns book

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I voted 2. For the reasons I have stated in the other thread. It isn't a total disaster as I like some of the artwork. I hate to give EVS credit but he is a good artist.
    Why what did EVS do?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Bad.

-Giving Barry a tragic backstory where his father is framed and jailed for murdering his mother goes against the spirit of the character and saddled him with poor stories and mopey characterizations for years since.

-Bart was written out of character for the sake of meta-commentary

-Barry (despite already being a saintly figure) was made the all-important Flash across all time, and the "creator" of the Speed Force.

-Thawne suddenly drew from the "Negative Speed Force", a hammy concept with no real purpose

It wasn't a total disaster in and of itself because the art was cool, Thawne was menacing, the Flash family was emphasized, and "those were for charity, Clark" is an all time great moment. But you could easily call the repercussions of that story disasterous.
    Why do people thing Barry having a tragic backstory changes his character?

Also Barry came back in Final Crisis so Barry was coming back with or without Johns and Flash Rebirth and then just 3 short years later the whole universe is rebooted
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-25-2020 at 12:28 PM.

It was lame.

Incredible Member

Also why do you think GL Rebirth worked where Flash Rebirth didn’t?

Astonishing Member

Too much reliance on the Speed Force, introducing other forces that were totally unnecessary and Barry continues to be incompetent. Quality improved recently, but I can't get over Eobard possessing Barry's body. The writer must've confused him with Jericho.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Too much reliance on the Speed Force, introducing other forces that were totally unnecessary and Barry continues to be incompetent. Quality improved recently, but I can't get over Eobard possessing Barry's body. The writer must've confused him with Jericho.
    I’m talking about Flash Rebirth the 6 part 2006 series not DC Universe Rebirth Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Why do people thing Barry having a tragic backstory changes his character?

Also Barry came back in Final Crisis so Barry was coming back with or without Johns and Flash Rebirth and then just 3 short years later the whole universe is rebooted
    Actually Grant Morrison was going to use an alternate Earth Barry Allen at first and Dan and Geoff asked him to actually bring the real Barry Allen back because they were planning Rebirth. I do not have the interview out there but Johns has said it a few times in interviews.

Why what did EVS do?
    That, my friend, is a whole thing. I don't want to get into it but Google ComicsGate and Ethan Van Sciver or go to his Twitter and have a read.

Incredible Member

Actually Grant Morrison was going to use an alternate Earth Barry Allen at first and Dan and Geoff asked him to actually bring the real Barry Allen back because they were planning Rebirth. I do not have the interview out there but Johns has said it a few times in interviews.
    No offense but just using another universe Barry would’ve been kinda lame. Regardless as you and many others have mentioned before Barry was going to return regardless of Johns

That, my friend, is a whole thing. I don't want to get into it but Google ComicsGate and Ethan Van Sciver or go to his Twitter and have a read.
    Does he call black people white supremacists for criticizing his books?

Also why do you think GL Rebirth worked where Flash Rebirth didn’t?
    I feel like I addressed this a couple times in the "Why do people hate Barry Allen?" thread but I will give it a go real quick:

- I feel like Green Lantern Rebirth brought back characters that had been missing mostly for years and made them shine while Flash Rebirth took the characters we had been reading about for years and made them 2nd tier just to prop Barry Allen up as the one true Flash. God that line in issue #1 when Jay Garrick says "Barry Allen made me the Flash" makes me wanna vomit.

- Green Lantern brought back the core concept of the Corps, Guardians. Kyle being solo was great! But the Corps returning (with Hal or not) had to happen one day IMO.

And like I said before Flash Rebirth aped Green Lantern Rebirth so much in the plot. Seriously, re-read one after the other. It's silly. The negative speed force is not only dumb but it is even worse than Thawne can just make it. lol

Nora being killed wouldn't have been so bad if it was going to be reversed at some point. But now with the TV show adapting it I doubt it will ever go away and I don't think we needed ANOTHER hero with tragic beginings.

And I do not like Barry being the engine of the speed force. Not only does it make him the super duper bestest Flash ever it just makes the whole concept of the speed force look silly. The more you explain something like that (the force, speedforce, religon) the sillier it looks. Let it be this mysterious thing. Not this place where people are hanging out and having conversations. I didn't like it on the show either. The show, comics, even regular people now study the speed force. It is dumb.