Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have mixed feelings on this. I will DEFINITELY miss Geoff Johns if he's 86d as he's my favorite writer of all time but the rest have been Luke-warm at best for me recently. Snyder's Justice League was only about a 6 or 7 out of 10 stars IMO while Morrison and King haven't written anything that's really excited me in a while although I haven't read a whole lot of King's recent work.

As for newer or less popular writers being on DC's more popular books(i.e. Batman, Justice League, Flash, etc.), I can see sales slipping with some exceptions of a good writer/book match. Most of these big name writers do have some very loyal fans that will drop the books as soon as a new writer takes over and follow the big name writers to whatever book/comic company they go to next.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Keep in mind when Morrison wrote Animal Man and Doom Patrol he was not a big name, he was an unknown writer coming over form the UK who hadn't done anything in the US market. It was those books that started to make him a name in US comics. And it was the freedom to do whatever on those second and third tier books that is not available on the books featuring the big characters that really let creators establish themselves. With DC narrowing its line to the top tier characters, I am not sure you ill see books featuring D-list character or lower tier titles for that to happen anymore.

-M
    When he signed up for Animal man he also got a batman ogn as part of the deal. It was the OGN that was an instant hit and saw him and dave mckean make a lot of money almost immediately in usa.

We will never see deals like that again.

So yr accused of being a nazi, yr being investigated by british press, yr an outspoken drug user and deliberately confrontational and yr biggest character is a superhero who is a total douchebag. Hey why not write for us at DC? You want a batman ogn too oh and drawn by a man who barely looks like a comic artist? Sure why not.

Dc dont have the balls to employ those types of people or stand up for them any more.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think editorial basically gave a list of characters that they would allow as the killer and Wally was the one King chose.
    I wish I could find it, I believe it was a Newsarama article last year. But, yeah, King confirmed that Didio gave him a list of characters he could use as the killer, and implied he was "nudged" towards using Wally. Which would make sense, considering Didio's disdain (not sure that would be the right word) for the Titan characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Apparently, Dan Didio suggested that the killer of the HiC is Wally West or that's the story I heard from comci website.
    However, King still wants a hero to be a killer. So, I don't think he has problems using Wally.

People blame editorial for "imposing" Wally as the killer, but it was King who has the idea of a hero killing many other heroes.

Extraordinary Member

Good, bring on good character growth rather then one dimensional descriptions

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    I wish I could find it, I believe it was a Newsarama article last year. But, yeah, King confirmed that Didio gave him a list of characters he could use as the killer, and implied he was "nudged" towards using Wally. Which would make sense, considering Didio's disdain (not sure that would be the right word) for the Titan characters.
    Yes it was Newsrama. He was given a list of targets for that book.

King's pitch would have most likely lead up to those deaths-in other words we would have gotten to know the folks before they got killed.

I am not sure you ill see books featuring D-list character or lower tier titles for that to happen anymore.
    Maybe not in the direct market.

As Iron Chimp said it's funny how many trades with folsk who DON'T have movies and tv shows have outsold DC books including some with Batman on the cover.

What is Morrison still doing on GL ? Isn't he supposed to be heading up Universal's new Comic division?
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-15-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, no surprise if they don't want to bother with highly paid authors anymore, just remember how loudly Bendis and his coming to DC were announced. They expected really big sales from his name. And what is the result?
    It should be noted that, in fact, generics and fan-friendly stories from fanboys like Tynion and Taylor (it's not a reproach, I respect both of them) sell much better than King and Bendis. And this despite the fact that both of them have contracts that are clearly more expensive.
    Tynion doesn't sell anywhere close to or better than King and Bendis. I think DC should also review his contract because I don't know how he got Batman when writer's like Priest get overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tynion doesn't sell anywhere close to or better than King and Bendis. I think DC should also review his contract because I don't know how he got Batman when writer's like Priest get overlooked.
    There are lots of things that goes into who gets a contract in a situation like DC's (or Marvel's—Image is rather different and much more similar to classic book publishing here).

Do the editor and writer have a good working relationship (really important when the editor and writer has to interface with other books)? Is the editor a fan of the author's writings? Are they possibly friends with each other? Is the writer producing clean scripts on time (really important in an ongoing book)? Did the writer submit a good pitch at an opportune time? Was the writer busy with something else when an opening came up?

And then sexism and racism appear as extra complicating factors.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

That’s not what I’ve been hearing. Tynion’s Batman run has been a huge sales success, boosting sales back to the 100k’s apparently. It’s why he went from filler to holding on to the main book for the long run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s not what I’ve been hearing. Tynion’s Batman run has been a huge sales success, boosting sales back to the 100k’s apparently. It’s why he went from filler to holding on to the main book for the long run.
    Not to mention, Tynion has 'Something is Killing the Children' under his belt now. While, I don't read that book yet, the marketing by BOOM and several comic book sites cited that quote-unquote as the next The Walking Death. So, he is clearly a superstar in making like Snyder when he took over Batman from Morisson and Tony S. Daniel.

Astonishing Member

Tynion is using a big arc with the Joker. So, it is difficult that wouldn't sell.

I don't know if that means a lot of power to attract readers. Or just access to popular characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Not to mention, Tynion has 'Something is Killing the Children' under his belt now. While, I don't read that book yet, the marketing by BOOM and several comic book sites cited that quote-unquote as the next The Walking Death. So, he is clearly a superstar in making like Snyder when he took over Batman from Morisson and Tony S. Daniel.
    Department of Truth apparently debuted to 100k sales too. Tynion is a “big” writer now like it or not, Batman seems to be his breakout series as it was for Snyder before him.

Astonishing Member

Tynion doesn't sell anywhere close to or better than King and Bendis.
    Umm, no. I don't know about his 'Tech, but his Batman is an enormous success in sales. On the other side, at some point King's Batman lost to Immortal Hulk on sales, Hulk, from all people. Bendis' titles are sold extremely so-so. Superman sells at about the same level as Tomasi (only criticized a lot more), Young Justice and Legion sell poorly.

BANNED

Department of Truth apparently debuted to 100k sales too. Tynion is a “big” writer now like it or not, Batman seems to be his breakout series as it was for Snyder before him.
    Oh, you are right Department of Truth is authored by Tynion. I always thought that book is written by Matt Kindt. But, clearly, Tynion is one of the big names out there.

Edit: Lol, I mix up Dept.H and Department of Truth.