Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Umm, no. I don't know about his 'Tech, but his Batman is an enormous success in sales.
    It's hard to gauge how much of his sales is because of good reception to his work. Speculators went nuts over Punchline and bought tons of copies assuming she was going to be this huge deal and the next Harley Quinn. Tynion's also introducing a lot of other new characters as well.

I'm not really a fan of the book at the moment, but I do hope the sales boost is in part at least due to people receiving it well and not just Punchline. From the few times I've met him Tynion seems like a genuinely nice person that has a passion for what he does, and we need more of that in the industry.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tynion doesn't sell anywhere close to or better than King and Bendis. I think DC should also review his contract because I don't know how he got Batman when writer's like Priest get overlooked.
    That’s not what I’ve been hearing. Tynion’s Batman run has been a huge sales success, boosting sales back to the 100k’s apparently. It’s why he went from filler to holding on to the main book for the long run.
    Tynion already had a following before he got to a hold of Batman.

Backstagers and The Woods at Boom say hello. The Woods was up for a pliot at Syfy with Brad Peyton (San Andreas & Rampage) set to direct.

And it won awards and 3 times a GLAAD nominated series.

I don't know if that means a lot of power to attract readers. Or just access to popular characters.
    He has a background in advertsing. So that helps too.

He is in the mold of the person DC wants.

I would say he helps Batman more than hinder him.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Umm, no. I don't know about his 'Tech, but his Batman is an enormous success in sales. On the other side, at some point King's Batman lost to Immortal Hulk on sales, Hulk, from all people.
    And from a writer who previously had notoriously low selling books too. Al Ewing is a good writer, but until Hulk, sales didn't reflect it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tynion doesn't sell anywhere close to or better than King and Bendis. I think DC should also review his contract because I don't know how he got Batman when writer's like Priest get overlooked.
    May have been true in the past, but Tynion's Batman is clearly the best selling comic between both marvel and dc since the pandemic started. And his new comic at Image has over 100k orders apparently.

Tynion is doing a big Joker story. So you have to measure his sales through that. Since Joker always sells a bunch. It won't be the level he consistently sells at. So you might have to wait until his next few story arcs to see how the sales pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Waid on Green Lantern would be interesting.
    Only if it was not Hal Jordan. Waid has a bad take on the main DC characters. Hal Green Lantern for instance was a complete screw up in Brave and the Bold mini, a Douche in JLA Year One, and in the Brave and Bold ongoing had trouble controling himself around underage Supergirl. I hate Mark Waid at DC. His Superman is the worst.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Tynion is doing a big Joker story. So you have to measure his sales through that. Since Joker always sells a bunch. It won't be the level he consistently sells at. So you might have to wait until his next few story arcs to see how the sales pan out.

If something better doesn't take him away from the book.

I think even after the Joker and introducing folks-sales will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Only if it was not Hal Jordan. Waid has a bad take on the main DC characters. Hal Green Lantern for instance was a complete screw up in Brave and the Bold mini, a Douche in JLA Year One, and in the Brave and Bold ongoing had trouble controling himself around underage Supergirl. I hate Mark Waid at DC. His Superman is the worst.
    I think there was this element of his life being somewhat of a mess, especially compared to Barry, but he was still confident and effective as a hero in that mini.

I think he just took Supergirl's over-enthusiasm the wrong way rather than having difficulty controlling himself.

Always Rakzo

As usual, all of this depends on the execution of this new direction. I'm personally not going to miss most of the "big name" writers particularly. Morrison's Green Lantern Season 1 started with a bang and ended with a whimper while Season 2 is pretty much the opposite (although I'm not putting much hope on the ending considering this is Morrison and he might forsake the conclusion for the sake of "the theme"). King is, well, King, you don't know if his books are going to be either great or awful, there's no in-between with him although he does have better luck in limited series with lesser-known characters. Bendis is Bendis, he's even more inconsistent than King, has many of the same flaws in fact but he has never written something as good as let's say, Mister Miracle even during his glory days. The only one who has been consistent so far has been Johns and this is surprising considering how inconsistent he was during the early 2010s, he would be a big loss now.

I just hope that the new direction is not dictated by "up and coming" writers like James Tynion IV who is by all accounts "Scott Snyder-lite", you just need to check how similar in terms of themes Tynion's Batman is compared to Snyder's except that Tynion is not nearly as interesting as Snyder was at the beginning. Tynion's run is plagued by creatively-bankrupt, easily marketable ideas.

Just hope there are better voices coming up in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    HA! That was definitely one of the low-points of Waid's career but I think the worst part about it is that Supergirl was the one who seemed overly-close towards Hal, I don't want to accuse anyone of anything but it seemed like it was written by an old man with a weird fantasy.

That being said, I think Waid on Green Lantern could be interesting as long as he doesn't make most of the characters too unlikable (which is something very easy for Waid).