Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Gossip: Big Writer Changes at DC Comics for 2021

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...c-comics-2021/

Interesting that the line will be more character-driven versus creator-driven.

Astonishing Member

Well, no surprise if they don't want to bother with highly paid authors anymore, just remember how loudly Bendis and his coming to DC were announced. They expected really big sales from his name. And what is the result?
    It should be noted that, in fact, generics and fan-friendly stories from fanboys like Tynion and Taylor (it's not a reproach, I respect both of them) sell much better than King and Bendis. And this despite the fact that both of them have contracts that are clearly more expensive.

Incredible Member

Not sure how they explain away Image having next to zero recognisable characters but outselling their whole main 'universe' except for snyder and king in trade then.

Or even how they explain away watchmen and sandman .

Im finding that BC very hard to believe if im honest
    Last edited by iron chimp; 09-14-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Waid on Green Lantern would be interesting.

I get the idea here, but I question if it will work in execution.

There is a reason why they are "big writers." While some are divisive, they have proven themselves as far as sales and critical acclaim. Putting lesser proven writers on top tier books is a bit of a gamble. It could work out (and I hope it does) and give some fresh takes and voices on books. But it could also result in subpar writing on their biggest heroes.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Not sure how they explain away Image having next to zero recognisable characters but outselling their whole main 'universe' except for snyder and king in trade then.

Or even how they explain away watchmen and sandman .

Im finding that BC very hard to believe if im honest
    Not saying you're wrong per se, but looking at February 2020's sales figures (prior to Covid-19 hitting the industry as it ultimately did), the first Image book to rank was Spawn at #42. The 41 books ahead of Spawn were all DC and Marvel books:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-02.html

I understand the logic of DC in that why pay Bendis, Snyder, King, Johns, Morrison, etc. a ridiculous amount of money for nominal sales when a book like Batman will generally sell in the top-10 regardless who's writing it? Or especially in the case of Superman, why pay Bendis so much money when he's not attracting any new readers to the books?

EDIT: I realized after the fact you were talking about trades. Even still, only one Image book cracked the top 10 in TPB and the majority of the top 30 were Marvel.
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 09-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.

I honestly won't miss those writers (Morrison being the exception), but it does look like DC will probably focus even more on generic stories about their popular characters.
    I don't see how less focus on the talent behind the books will help the quality of their product. Not that the current model allowed for much quality, but they won't attract better talent if they're not willing to pay them well.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Well, the line has been in shambles for a while, so a period where they just set up a nice and comfortable status quo, instead of going all "DECONSTRUCTION - CONTROVERSY - KILLING YOUR FAVES" is more than welcome.

It probably won't last long, but it's welcome.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Not saying you're wrong per se, but looking at February 2020's sales figures (prior to Covid-19 hitting the industry as it ultimately did), the first Image book to rank was Spawn at #42. The 41 books ahead of Spawn were all DC and Marvel books:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-02.html

I understand the logic of DC in that why pay Bendis, Snyder, King, Johns, Morrison, etc. a ridiculous amount of money for nominal sales when a book like Batman will generally sell in the top-10 regardless who's writing it? Or especially in the case of Superman, why pay Bendis so much money when he's not attracting any new readers to the books?

EDIT: I realized after the fact you were talking about trades. Even still, only one Image book cracked the top 10 in TPB and the majority of the top 30 were Marvel.
    I used this sales list:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Articl...Graphic-Novels

Absolutely nothing from dc from their main line in there apart from king, snyder, and tec anniversary. Everything else was black.label, classics, or ink.

I'm not surprised. My impression is that the DC that DiDio, Lee, and Harras created was one where people they liked (read: middle-aged men) were a main driver of who got jobs, and with a new team in place they are probably looking hard on whatever contracts DC have in place. Also, for all that I can tell, the good contracts for "star" creators haven't, as far as I know, given a corresponding increase in sales or in story quality. Instead we have a spiral of "big" stories and interference in any books not written by "star" creators.

Now, I have no idea on which strategies Wells and Javins will select for choosing new writers (or artists), but I really think it will be more diverse—indeed, it can hardly be less so. I hope they will go for younger, hungrier writers that have not primarily been molded by comics of the direct market, but have other creative influences as well. Hopefully they will be given the leeway to tell the best stories they are capable of telling. If DC can find the Moore or the Miller of the 80s but for the 20s, they will have struck gold.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Most "name" writers don't seem to sell as well as they used to, or have limited returns, so I think it's probably smarter to move away from that kind of dichotomy.

Extraordinary Member

I’d use the big name writers on lesser titles on d-listers.

That’s how they got great runs on Doom Patrol, back in the day. Or Animal Man.

Keep the name characters that fans follow as character driven.

I would love a 50 book run on batman by bendis. I would also love a 50 book run on detective by taylor.

This could be really interesting. Maybe the big guys take a break and we see what the new blood has to offer. Hell, once upon a time Geoff Johns was a no name writer that I fell in love with his work. While he still does some good stuff I am not nearly as excited for it as I used to be. The new DC sounds a lot more interesting than it has in 10 years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’d use the big name writers on lesser titles on d-listers.

That’s how they got great runs on Doom Patrol, back in the day. Or Animal Man.

Keep the name characters that fans follow as character driven.

And you will see the usual suspects scream that is a waste of talent. Saw with new Age of Heroes, among others. Yet most of those books saw 12 + issue runs.

Despite the fact history has shown that it worked. Animal Man and Doom Patrol say HI.

However I think in this case it's Dc thinking-

For the money we pay a Bendis for him to do what 5 books mainly about Superman-with varying levels of success. We can use that amount to go get 5 writers to do 5 different books. We might get their fans.

At WORST what could happen?

The longest run of say Booster Gold by Priest? Panther, Steel and Deathstroke's longest (2nd in Stroke's case) are under him.

New Superman went 24 issues.

Might as well try.