Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Unpopular opinions

We have opinions on everything and everyone. Some of those line up with everyone else's, while there are those that differ greatly. However, a lot of the time we feel that we are not allowed to express those thoughts for fear of rejection and/or ridicule. But here, we can say whatever we want.

Unpopular opinion: The Boys was a terrible comic. Full of bad writing and awful characterizations. Also, Empyre was pretty boring.

Ive said this before and I will say it again. I bring it up today because my dad has been watching this movie like crazy the last three days. Christopher Reeves Superman was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen and it is way over hyped. I am going nuts because every time I go to my dads room to help him out of his chair, or bring him dinner or meds he has been watching this movie.

I agree with you on the Boys. Edgy for the sake of being edgy with out any real substance.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Christopher Reeves Superman was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen and it is way over hyped.
    It wasn't when it was made. Context matters.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

The Sega Genesis had a better game lineup than the Super Nintendo. It's also the better console of the two.

Fighting games need some variety again. The 90s had plenty of bad games but there were also unique ones like Fighter's Destiny, Bushido Blade, and Elan Doree.

The people who say Sonic was never good are usually the same ones who sucked at playing Sonic and never got over it.

The line between an unpopular opinion and a hot take is a thin one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It wasn't when it was made. Context matters.
    I wasnt alive when it came out. I am sure it may have been great back then. but even today I hear people who were not alive when it came out saying how great it is. I just dont get it. I dont care how great people thought it was when it came out. For me today it is boring as Hell. If people like it more power to them. Just dont get the hype.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I already was well into my adult years when Superman debuted in 1978, so I have a different attitude about it. When it was made, the very concept of a big-budget movie based on a comic book was hard to fathom. "Superman??? The guy who flies around with his underwear on the outside, they're making a movie about that??? I used to watch the TV show, back in the 50s, and it was strictly for kids! I can't imagine that anyone over the age of ten would go to see a movie about Superman. Those folks paying all that money to make that movie must be crazy!!!" Then the movie came out, people were stunned by the spectacle, and they were floored that Christopher Reeve played the title character like an actual leaning man, not a cardboard cutout. So yeah, it basically has to do with the expectations of the day. Had that movie been as big a turkey as most people thought it surely would be, then the whole modern movie industry would now likely be quite different.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I already was well into my adult years when Superman debuted in 1978, so I have a different attitude about it. When it was made, the very concept of a big-budget movie based on a comic book was hard to fathom. "Superman??? The guy who flies around with his underwear on the outside, they're making a movie about that??? I used to watch the TV show, back in the 50s, and it was strictly for kids! I can't imagine that anyone over the age of ten would go to see a movie about Superman. Those folks paying all that money to make that movie must be crazy!!!" Then the movie came out, people were stunned by the spectacle, and they were floored that Christopher Reeve played the title character like an actual leaning man, not a cardboard cutout. So yeah, it basically has to do with the expectations of the day. Had that movie been as big a turkey as most people thought it surely would be, then the whole modern movie industry would now likely be quite different.
    That's interesting to hear that people thought Superman the movie would fail. I thought he was still popular back then. Even as a kid Superman was one of the few superheroes that people around me didn't immediately crap on. There were jokes much like with Batman but that was more due to the X-Men and Spider-Man being more popular at the time. This was in the early 90s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    That's interesting to hear that people thought Superman the movie would fail. I thought he was still popular back then. Even as a kid Superman was one of the few superheroes that people around me didn't immediately crap on. There were jokes much like with Batman but that was more due to the X-Men and Spider-Man being more popular at the time. This was in the early 90s.
    Superman was certainly a part of popular culture, but the whole concept of superheroes in general was considered to be "kid stuff". It was hard to believe that there would be a big-budget movie about Superman that would appeal to adults.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Christopher Reeves Superman was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen and it is way over hyped.
    I wouldn't go that far, but imo, his Clark Kent was almost the opposite of what Clark should be, imo.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I wasnt alive when it came out. I am sure it may have been great back then. but even today I hear people who were not alive when it came out saying how great it is. I just dont get it. I dont care how great people thought it was when it came out. For me today it is boring as Hell. If people like it more power to them. Just dont get the hype.
    I wasn't alive when it came out, but I grew up watching it. It wasn't until 1989 that we got anything close to what Superman The Movie did. It was an important movie. It definitely isn't overhyped for what it was at it's time.

Being the first big scene Superhero movie is great. it did make it possible for other superhero movies. I will respect it for that. It was not overhyped back then. i get that. But people who go on today about how it is one of the most enjoyable superhero movies is overhype for today. But that does not change the fact that it is boring.

I get back then it was enjoyable for people. It will always have a spot and well deserved spot for kicking off the super hero movie craze. But as an enjoyable movie it does not hold up like many other great movies from decades ago.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-17-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Ultimate Member

Most wince inducing scene in the first Superman movie...when random black dude dressed like a TV pimp walks up to Chris Reeves and says, "Damn, Jim! That suit is fly!!"

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Crazy Diamond;5146105]The Sega Genesis had a better game lineup than the Super Nintendo. It's also the better console of the two.

Fighting games need some variety again. The 90s had plenty of bad games but there were also unique ones like Fighter's Destiny, Bushido Blade, and Elan Doree.

The people who say Sonic was never good are usually the same ones who sucked at playing Sonic and never got over it.

I am all in for your opinions...so they are not unpopular anymore

Nintendo fans just couldn't accept that Sonic were way cooler than their mascot.

Astonishing Member

I think the controversial and universal hated clone saga is one of the best Spider-Man saga ever. When in my country the comic publications stopped, and we were about two years behind the American publications, I stepped foot in a comic book shop and bought ALL of the Spider-man and spidey related books at once. About 200-300 books in englisch. And it was the time of the clone saga. I read them in a month or so and was flashed about so much happening, so many twists and turns, surprises here and there. I think my heart stopped once or twice while reading...great times.