Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

The only good Thor movie is the first one.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Jack Kirby is vastly overrated, and just about everyone he draws looks like a doughy caveman.

Superman fans are ridiculously insecure about other characters being more potentially more powerful or popular than him.

What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way is a morally confused story in which Superman beats up a team of racial and foreign caricatures and fails to actually make a convincing argument for the point it's in favor of.

While manga is doing much better than American comics, it still has just as many if not more problems when it comes to women and racial minorities.

Superhero fans have some weird ideas of morality when it comes to lethal force and relationships. No, Superman does not belong to the world and him marrying Lois is not being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Jack Kirby is vastly overrated, and just about everyone he draws looks like a doughy caveman.
    Oh no you didn't!

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I think the controversial and universal hated clone saga is one of the best Spider-Man saga ever. When in my country the comic publications stopped, and we were about two years behind the American publications, I stepped foot in a comic book shop and bought ALL of the Spider-man and spidey related books at once. About 200-300 books in englisch. And it was the time of the clone saga. I read them in a month or so and was flashed about so much happening, so many twists and turns, surprises here and there. I think my heart stopped once or twice while reading...great times.
    Wow. You are a more patient person than I am. The minute they revealed Peter was a clone I laughed and just ignored the comic from that point on till JMS came on when I was in high school. That, the first Spider-Man film, and Ultimate Spider-Man got me back into the character for a time.

I never finished reading the Clone Saga but I found out how it ended from the old The Life of Reily blog.

Ben Reily and Kaine were the best things about the Clone Saga and they got too much hate.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I think the controversial and universal hated clone saga is one of the best Spider-Man saga ever. When in my country the comic publications stopped, and we were about two years behind the American publications, I stepped foot in a comic book shop and bought ALL of the Spider-man and spidey related books at once. About 200-300 books in englisch. And it was the time of the clone saga. I read them in a month or so and was flashed about so much happening, so many twists and turns, surprises here and there. I think my heart stopped once or twice while reading...great times.
    I have to agree with this. I really loved the Clone Saga. It was one of my favorite story lines. Glad to see I am not alone. We should start a support group and help others who feel like us come out of hiding.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Cause now we have an unpopular opinion about DC Comics?

I really hate John Romita Jr.'s art style
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    The only good Thor movie is the first one.
    I think they're talking about you, boy!

I don't think people give Kirby credit for his figure work. It's literally everything else.

BANNED

On Kirby, I first encountered him as an 8-year-old in an old collection of Fantastic Four comics at my school library. I can't speak to his technical skill (still not a good judge of that, generally just know what I like when I see it), but I'll say as a kid the way he drew motion/movement and emphasized big moments and facial expressions grabbed my attention in a way comics I would buy individually at local gas stations/grocery stores didn't. And considering I was the age group he was drawing for (young kids), maybe that's what he was going for. Also, many of the folks we grew up loving grew up loving his work. Also also, think of everything he helped create and try to imagine the comics world (or Hollywood, for that matter) without him. Bold stance, I know, defending Jack Kirby.

Retired

If you look at the early work of Pablo Picasso and Jack Kirby, you can see that they were both very skilled artists who had learned the basic rules of drawing. Becoming a great artist is breaking those rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you look at the early work of Pablo Picasso and Jack Kirby, you can see that they were both very skilled artists who had learned the basic rules of drawing. Becoming a great artist is breaking those rules.
    Honestly guys, you don't have to try to convert me. I knew my opinion most not popular when I posted it. That's why I posted it in the Unpopular Opinions thread.

But you can proselytize till you're blue in the face. No matter how much you sing Kirby's virtues, or lecture on his influence on the medium, you cannot change what I see when I look at Kirby: which is visually unappealing artwork.

Just accept that some of us don't drink the Kirby kool-aid.

I hate it when women are called girls and men are called boys. To me, that's the equivalent of calling a 20-year-old cat a kitten and a 20-year-old dog a puppy.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Just accept that some of us don't drink the Kirby kool-aid.
    You see this is the problem. I can accept that you don't care for Kirby's art. But this kind of statement discredits him as one of the top creative forces in comics history. You can personally not like his style, but you are saying the rest of us are delusional to hold him in such high regard.
    The truth is he was underrated when he died and reality has caught up with his genius.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-24-2020 at 05:14 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You see this is the problem. I can accept that you don't care for Kirby's art. But this kind of statement discredits him as one of the top creative forces in comics history. You can personally not like his style, but you are saying the rest of us are delusional to hold him in such high regard.
    The truth is he was underrated when he died and reality has caught up with his genius.
    No. I am not saying you are delusional. But, in my experience, Kirby seems to have a following whose devotion borders on the cult-like. Any attempt to criticize any aspect of his work is meet with a barrage of vehement defence, telling the critic why they are wrong.

Surely if Kirby's genius is so obvious and undeniable, my single dissenting voice cannot harm his reputation. So why, on a thread called Unpopular Opinions, feel to need to tell me why I am wrong, and why Kirby is identical to Picasso?