Thread: CTE awareness

Default CTE awareness

CTE had an earlier name called dementia pugilistica ("boxer's dementia") or punch-drunk syndrome, because it was originally thought to be limited to boxers and not other athletes. It was later found that Football players, wrestlers, ice hockey players and military servicemen also had the same form of dementia. In 2005, Dr. Bennet Omalu and his colleagues discovered CTE in football players. There was a film based on his CTE discovery story called Concussion

Repeated concussions on the head can cause serious damage to the human brain. Brain damage can lead to mood swings, depression, irrational or erratic behavior, etc. Many of the people who had CTE were depressed to the point they took their own lives.

Whenever I watch a boxing or wrestling match, I wonder whether those boxers and wrestlers will be fine after taking a blow on their head?

The only people with CTE who killed a person were Chris Benoit, Aaron Hernandez and Jimmy Snuka. Did CTE impair their judgment? Or were they monsters before they had their heads hit over and again? Most of the people with CTE have never killed a person.

I find it odd that superheroes in comic books received concussions on the head while fighting crime and still have no mental health problems. But it's fiction after all. PTSD also scarcely exists in the Superhero world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroni...encephalopathy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennet_Omalu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion_(2015_film)

I’m in my early 30s and I live a normal life span, I think I’m going to witness the end of football in my life. Or at least as we know it. I think it starts at the Peewee level which trickles up to Middle School and High School. I think it that happens long enough, it will really curtail what they can do at the College and Professional level. Football will either have to significantly change or it will likely disappear.

There’s going to come a point where the evidence is just irrefutable. It’s unfortunate because I do love football, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to enjoy for these reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I’m in my early 30s and I live a normal life span, I think I’m going to witness the end of football in my life. Or at least as we know it. I think it starts at the Peewee level which trickles up to Middle School and High School. I think it that happens long enough, it will really curtail what they can do at the College and Professional level. Football will either have to significantly change or it will likely disappear.

There’s going to come a point where the evidence is just irrefutable. It’s unfortunate because I do love football, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to enjoy for these reasons.
    Football is an entertaining sport, trained to make players stronger and is played to entertain people who love to see muscelbound men butt their heads against each other, damaging their fragile brains in the process.

It will be harder for anyone to enjoy NFL, especially since a NFL player who has CTE starts shooting people. Recently, in fact, an ex-football player shot and killed 6 people in SC. It's all over the news and was briefly discussed in the Politics thread. His name was Phillip Adams.

https://rollingout.com/2021/04/12/ma...ested-for-cte/

The family of former NFL player Phillip Adams has decided to have his brain tested for a degenerative disease that has affected a number of pro athletes and has been shown to cause violent mood swings and other cognitive disorders.

Adams killed his doctor, three of his family members and an air conditioning technician before fatally shooting himself on April 7. While routine forensic autopsies “do not identify chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE),” the York County, South Carolina, Coroner’s Office said it will work in tandem with Boston University researchers who have been at the forefront of the degenerative brain disease.

“We have contacted Boston University and they will be working with us to conduct a brain study to identify if Mr. Adams had CTE,” according to a statement from York County Coroner Sabrina Gast to NBC News. “We are unsure of the time frame for results at this time.”
    We better wait for the autopsy results to come out. Given that Philip Adams played football for so long, I won't be surprised if he did have CTE.

Condolences to the families of the victims and the innocent family members of the killer.
    Last edited by Zauriel; 04-13-2021 at 07:00 AM.

http://robertlesslie.com/

Dr. Robert Lesslie might have been an amazing medical professional and helped people. But it seemed he failed to help this Philip Adams. His killer was probably sick and may have had brain damage, But it was no excuse to kill a doctor and his family and a couple of men, just because the doctor didn't help him enough.

All these men mentioned were involved in frequent violent & highly physical activity that involved overpowering other similar individuals. Now all these professions have a ugly history of rampant steroid & numerous other drugs addictions.

So if we add up everything together, what you have left with is mentally compromised, very volatile, powerful individuals that are zonked out of their minds on powerful drugs.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 04-13-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    All these men mentioned were involved in frequent violent & highly physical activity that involved overpowering other similar individuals. Now all these professions have a ugly history of rampant steroid & numerous other drugs addictions.

So if we add up everything together, what you have left with is mentally compromised, very volatile, powerful individuals that are zonked out of their minds on powerful drugs.
    It's not uncommon for athletes to take steroids or drugs if they are desperate to win. Especially Lance Armstrong.

Philip Adams hasn't played football in years but if he did take steroids while playing football, it is possible that steroids may have gradually affected his brain and made him psychotic. Maybe Chris Benoit was also on steroids and became psychotic due to steroid use.