Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

How’s this for an unpopular opinion: the 90’s was an excellent time for the biggest growth spurt in the quality of writing on weekly comics.

Now, I’m not arguing is wasn’t also the time of overly-insane “art-first” production philosophies that were so focused on a temporary zeitgeist of comic design that they allowed Rob Liefeld and others to basically lay waste to vast tracks of forest creating bad comics and bad art...

...but I’d argue that’s only half the story, while the other half is a bunch of girls and guys who were in high school and college during the Bronze Age’s bump in writing quality, and who took the next step both in terms of imagination and (more importantly) in terms of consistency.

(I’d also maybe argue that some comics industry professionals didn’t see that and continued to focus on art over everything else, and accidentally ran off the more important writers.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

And now, for something really unpopular, while I loved Robin Williams as Mork and loved some Eddie Murphy movies, I never found their standup to be funny, especially Robin with that whole "Play it by ear" style.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    How’s this for an unpopular opinion: the 90’s was an excellent time for the biggest growth spurt in the quality of writing on weekly comics.

Now, I’m not arguing is wasn’t also the time of overly-insane “art-first” production philosophies that were so focused on a temporary zeitgeist of comic design that they allowed Rob Liefeld and others to basically lay waste to vast tracks of forest creating bad comics and bad art...

...but I’d argue that’s only half the story, while the other half is a bunch of girls and guys who were in high school and college during the Bronze Age’s bump in writing quality, and who took the next step both in terms of imagination and (more importantly) in terms of consistency.

(I’d also maybe argue that some comics industry professionals didn’t see that and continued to focus on art over everything else, and accidentally ran off the more important writers.)
    The 90s was certainly a better decade than the 2000's and 2010's.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The 90s was certainly a better decade than the 2000's and 2010's.
    I think the 00s and 10s suffered from editorial overcompensation; everyone saw some of the problems of giving Liefeld and others too much freedom, and everyone saw the success of well run editorial lines under guys like Denny O’Neill, so a bunch of editors felt they could achieve some semi-perfect equilibrium with their established fanbases and newer fans, so editors started needlessly flexing their muscle on a stable fo comic writers that was already a bit lower yielding than before because of the comic industry collapse.

Too many editors tried applying the wrong lessons from the 90s, and often wound up tripping over their own feet even when they had good ideas.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    And now, for something really unpopular, while I loved Robin Williams as Mork ... I never found their standup to be funny, especially Robin with that whole "Play it by ear" style.
    Cocaine is a hellava drug.

It refers to controversial opinions, this thread is for out and out opinions that most people despise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It refers to controversial opinions, this thread is for out and out opinions that most people despise.
    That was 10 pages ago, I am over it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Not why I commented, but sure I'm very glad to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think the 00s and 10s suffered from editorial overcompensation; everyone saw some of the problems of giving Liefeld and others too much freedom, and everyone saw the success of well run editorial lines under guys like Denny O’Neill, so a bunch of editors felt they could achieve some semi-perfect equilibrium with their established fanbases and newer fans, so editors started needlessly flexing their muscle on a stable fo comic writers that was already a bit lower yielding than before because of the comic industry collapse.

Too many editors tried applying the wrong lessons from the 90s, and often wound up tripping over their own feet even when they had good ideas.
    Just to be clear, I meant to say the 90s were a better decade for DC but forgot to include that part.

DCAU Superman is actually the "pseudo-fascist" people claim Snyder's Superman is.

Clark was the reason the Clana relationship in Smallville was bad.

Will Ferrell may be one of the least funny people of all time. All his movies are pretty much the same. Him acting like an idiot and having loud over the top reactions for laughs.

Robin Williams dramatic roles were way better then any of his comedy roles.

Jerry was a much better dancer then Gene Kelly
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It wasn't when it was made. Context matters.
    I agree with this. We should be able to appreciate things from a historical framework without subjecting them to today's standards.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Shutter Island is a really goofy movie. Probably even goofier than 1995's A Goofy Movie.

I ran into this today.

I hate the people who bitch about privacy on the internet and then go on face book and Instagram and post an hour by hour update of everything they are doing, from what they had for breakfast, what stores they are going to pics of themselves and their kids at the park/zoo/beach. Stop bitching about privacy while at the same time posting every single part of your life for attention. Shut up!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

Robin Williams dramatic roles were way better then any of his comedy roles.
    Ehhh, that's putting a lot on the shoulders of Awakenings and Good Will Hunting. In large part those roles stood out so much was due to 1- the fantastic screenplays and 2- The contrast of what we had usually seen with Williams. You could have stuck William Hurt in Good Will Hunting and only because dude LOOKS more of the part of a movie star than Robin Williams did, I don't think you'd have any difference performance wise.

Were the MOVIES where he did dramatic roles better at what they did, than the comedic MOVIES were funny, as whole is probably an argument. Even if I throw in One Hour Photo that's still a heavily one-sided scale and ultimately speaks to the mans enormous talent. To me personally he's like his friend Richard Pryor, Pryor's movies are not overall a good judge of how hilarious he was. There are some funny joints for sure but he shined on stage. Shoutout to Death to Smoochy lol, Robin Williams was hilarious in that. So was Norton... who has always taken himself way to serious for his own good. Maybe that's why that movie works so well.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.