Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 134
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,727

    Default

    I to start this by saying I am not attacking artists like Kirby.

    I do wonder how much the popularity of an artist like Kirby have to with with this art over the time he was in. Like are newer fans looking back with a sense of nostalgia when looking at him because he did the first Marvel Books and ones that were very popular. I am not saying this of every fan. There are the ones who like him because of his art and I get and respect that. But other artist like Steranko and Romita Sr were so much better then then him in my opinion.
    Kirby is good and have talent and I respect what he did in the industry I just dont understand why people get attacked or belittled because they say he is not the best.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-24-2020 at 07:06 AM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  2. #32
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Unpopular opinions?

    The best Star Wars movies were the prequels. Whiny Darth Vader was the best. Or maybe horrible little kid Vader. Thor Darkworld was the best Marvel movie, followed closely by Iron Man 2. Captain Terrell was the best captain in any Star Trek movie. But the first movie was the best. Lance Armstrong was a cycling god and honest man. Chocolate is disgusting. So is beer.

    Do those work?

  3. #33
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,942

    Default

    Unpopular opinions.

    Brats are better than hot dogs.

    The internet cannot shame people into changing.

    Rey wasn't a Mary Sue. She was just badly written.

    The Big Bang Theory wasn't that bad of a show. People don't like it because of social media groupthink and Youtube video essays.

    Archie's New/Mighty Crusaders are actually interesting, but they barely get a chance.

    Monster Hunter Stories was the best pokemon game on the 3DS, and I'm glad its getting a sequel.

    Speaking of which, Pokemon has been stale since Gen 5.

    Productive hobbies that aren't just consumption of media need to come back into style.

  4. #34
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I to start this by saying I am not attacking artists like Kirby.

    I do wonder how much the popularity of an artist like Kirby have to with with this art over the time he was in. Like are newer fans looking back with a sense of nostalgia when looking at him because he did the first Marvel Books and ones that were very popular. I am not saying this of every fan. There are the ones who like him because of his art and I get and respect that. But other artist like Steranko and Romita Sr were so much better then then him in my opinion.
    Kirby is good and have talent and I respect what he did in the industry I just dont understand why people get attacked or belittled because they say he is not the best.
    Talk to Romita and Steranko, they will tell you they learned everything about comis storytelling from Kirby. Who is being belittled? I have only seen foxley claim Kirby fans have "drunk to kool ade". Is disagreeing with a negative assessment of Kirby belittling?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Talk to Romita and Steranko, they will tell you they learned everything about comis storytelling from Kirby. Who is being belittled? I have only seen foxley claim Kirby fans have "drunk to kool ade". Is disagreeing with a negative assessment of Kirby belittling?
    I never said you were belittling him. I should have made that celar that is my fault. But I have seen many Kirby fans belittle those who dont like Kirby. Adn thats fine that they learned from Kirby. But I still think they are better.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  6. #36
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    No. I am not saying you are delusional. But, in my experience, Kirby seems to have a following whose devotion borders on the cult-like. Any attempt to criticize any aspect of his work is meet with a barrage of vehement defence, telling the critic why they are wrong.

    Surely if Kirby's genius is so obvious and undeniable, my single dissenting voice cannot harm his reputation. So why, on a thread called Unpopular Opinions, feel to need to tell me why I am wrong, and why Kirby is identical to Picasso?
    First, you knew you would get pushback, so don't play coy. Second, name a genius in comics or art who doesn't have detractors.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  7. #37
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Brats are better than hot dogs.
    Not sure it's unpopular. Hot dogs are just cheap and nostalgic childhood attachments and knockoffs of brats.

    Got a bunch of brats cooking, as I type this.

    The Big Bang Theory wasn't that bad of a show. People don't like it because of social media groupthink and Youtube video essays.
    Everyone I know loves Big Bang Theory.

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Unpopular opinions?

    The best Star Wars movies were the prequels. Whiny Darth Vader was the best. Or maybe horrible little kid Vader. Thor Darkworld was the best Marvel movie, followed closely by Iron Man 2. Captain Terrell was the best captain in any Star Trek movie. But the first movie was the best. Lance Armstrong was a cycling god and honest man. Chocolate is disgusting. So is beer.

    Do those work?
    Vader is best when he's a 2-dimensional cardboard fist-shaker. Trying to make him "faux deep" was just a mistake. And that was worse than anything about Jar Jar. Star Wars is Luke's story. Period.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 09-26-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  8. #38
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    The Boys kind of feels like it doesn't really have a message, but plenty of people claim it does.

  9. #39
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,686

    Default

    The Big Bang Theory wasn't that bad of a show. People don't like it because of social media groupthink and Youtube video essays.
    I don't think this is unpopular. It is in fact far more the popular opinion according to the ratings this show put up, even in its waning years, and the huge cultural touchstone it was. There's just loud communities of comedy snobs that are easy to find that shit on it. But they're the minority in all reality.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  10. #40
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Unpopular opinion.

    The Big Bang Theory wasn't that bad of a show. People don't like it because of social media groupthink and Youtube video essays.
    I LOVED BBT and consider it a documentary. Some people in fandom don't care for it because it picks on some of the lack of social graces some fans have. But so many of the events in that show have been situations my friends and I have been in. Even the wilder plots are situations that we would have done, if we could. In school I was Sheldon. I freely admit it and although many of them say things like "you weren't that bad", the people in my HS graduating class see it.

  11. #41
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I LOVED BBT and consider it a documentary. Some people in fandom don't care for it because it picks on some of the lack of social graces some fans have. But so many of the events in that show have been situations my friends and I have been in. Even the wilder plots are situations that we would have done, if we could. In school I was Sheldon. I freely admit it and although many of them say things like "you weren't that bad", the people in my HS graduating class see it.
    When do you get your Nobel Prize?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  12. #42
    Amazing Member Adam Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    The Boys kind of feels like it doesn't really have a message, but plenty of people claim it does.
    Yeah, and some people maintain that the Matrix trilogy is really deep, and well-written, too.

    The Boys does not have a message. And the Matrix is terrible. And also is not deep, at all.

    Edit: The first Matrix movie was a decent action movie. It just got progressively worse as the trilogy continued.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

  13. #43
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah, and some people maintain that the Matrix trilogy is really deep, and well-written, too.

    The Boys does not have a message. And the Matrix is terrible. And also is not deep, at all.

    Edit: The first Matrix movie was a decent action movie. It just got progressively worse as the trilogy continued.
    I'd say The Boys does have a message about the dangers of celebrity worship and corruption within government and corporations. Admittedly, how it delivers that message might leave a lot to be desired for some people.

  14. #44
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    When do you get your Nobel Prize?
    How do you know I don't already have one?

  15. #45
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    How do you know I don't already have one?
    Did you create a man-frog hybrid?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •