Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Did you create a man-frog hybrid?
    It's the reason I celebrate that Spidey cover so often in the weekly cover contest.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Shelton is a mix of everything network executives see in nerds and all involved should be fed into a wood chipper.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I to start this by saying I am not attacking artists like Kirby.

I do wonder how much the popularity of an artist like Kirby have to with with this art over the time he was in. Like are newer fans looking back with a sense of nostalgia when looking at him because he did the first Marvel Books and ones that were very popular. I am not saying this of every fan. There are the ones who like him because of his art and I get and respect that. But other artist like Steranko and Romita Sr were so much better then then him in my opinion.
    Kirby is good and have talent and I respect what he did in the industry I just dont understand why people get attacked or belittled because they say he is not the best.
    John Romita was a great artist. I've been reading SHOWCASE PRESENTS YOUNG LOVE and his art is always great, but not really comparable to Kirby's art. Kirby comes from a different school of art and I sometimes mix his early work up with Mort Meskin's style. Busy panels, deep focus, heightened characterization.

Jim Steranko was never in the industry long enough to really give us a point of comparison. He was doing very showy art--which most young artists do when they're getting their start, before they get enough experience that they can do consistent art month after month. He went on to poster art--but I don't know of a very big output of panel progression art from him.

Steranko was one of the guys who taught me to love Kirby--thanks to his HISTORY OF COMICS. I was one of those who used to think Kirby was no big deal and I didn't like that National Periodicals made a big deal over "King Kirby" when they had him come over in 1970. And I didn't pick up many of his comics (to my shame), until KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH, and then I loved that comic so much that I started to to re-think my opinion on Kirby. The truth is, if you know something about the comic book artform, Kirby did a lot of stuff very well. Even if you don't like him--it's worth the time looking into the universal ideas (that never get old) which he advanced in his work.

My sister got me to watch THE BIG BANG THEORY. It has always bugged me that she thinks that's what I'm like. I think the show would have been better called THAT 90'S SHOW--because their comic book fandom seems more accurate to those times. Their pop culture interests are too old for the age of the characters. They have nostalgia for things from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s--seems a bit anachronistic.

Mr. Sinister is easily the least interesting aspect of the current "HOX/POX" status quo.

The early 2000s Fantastic Four movies weren't that bad. Especially not for the time they came out in. And the casting was damn near perfect. I will, however, agree that their version of Doom was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Unpopular opinion: The Boys was a terrible comic. Full of bad writing and awful characterizations.
    God, I couldn't agree more with this. I fell in love with the show and decided to check out the comic just to see where it differs. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. The Boys is now one of few instances where I can confidently say the adaption was better.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-02-2020 at 06:47 PM.

How dare you twist my intent, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think they're talking about you, boy!

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My sister got me to watch THE BIG BANG THEORY. It has always bugged me that she thinks that's what I'm like. I think the show would have been better called THAT 90'S SHOW--because their comic book fandom seems more accurate to those times. Their pop culture interests are too old for the age of the characters. They have nostalgia for things from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s--seems a bit anachronistic.
    I dont think there is an age limit on likign something from another age. I love Golden Age DC. I love 60's and 70's comics. I was not alive for any of those things when they first came out. I am only 39. I love old time superhero radio shows and serials from the 40's.

I have nostalgia for them not because I was alive when they came out but because of how I felt when I first read/listened to them. That is what nostalgia is for me. how I felt when I was exsposed to them. it may be the same for those guys.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Both "All-Star Batman and Robin" and DKSA are fantastic. Year 100 is among the very best Batman stories of the last 20 years.

On the other hand, "The Cult" is completely terrible except for the art. Starlin's best work was on Adam Warlock, which is still pretty stunning actually.

Both Alan Moore's and Ed Brubaker's best work has nothing to do with superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Both "All-Star Batman and Robin" and DKSA are fantastic. Year 100 is among the very best Batman stories of the last 20 years.

On the other hand, "The Cult" is completely terrible except for the art. Starlin's best work was on Adam Warlock, which is still pretty stunning actually.

Both Alan Moore's and Ed Brubaker's best work has nothing to do with superheroes.

I suspect that this take may not be as unpopular as you seem to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I suspect that this take may not be as unpopular as you seem to believe.
    Ed Brubaker writes superheroes?

The signs of Frank Miller's toxic mindset were present in some of his earlier works. It was just easier to miss because his writing was better.

Superman's fans are his worst advocates.

DC should have ditched secret identities a long time ago.

Minority writers are under no obligation to write about people from their demographics. The point of this diversity push is not to pigeon hole minorities further. They should be free to write what they want.

The MCU is far more fascist and objectivist leaning than The Incredibles and the DCEU are accused of being.

Wonder Woman is a bloodthirsty barbarian is a bad take on the character. Wonder Woman is a submissive weakling is also a bad take on the character.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Ed Brubaker writes superheroes?
    He's written Daredevil and Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

He's written Daredevil and Captain America.
    I suspect that was an instance of dry humor.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I suspect that was an instance of dry humor.
    Indeed.

Sorry, I didn't know.