Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 91
  1. #61
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,674

    Default

    I could see Ant-Man getting a victory over a version of Kang, and immediately having to face a much more prepared and experienced Kang who monologues, "Oh, I let everyone win the first round. Gives me an idea of what they are capable of. Then I go back and prepare specific weapons and tactics for them. Like this." {Zap!}

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Cap edged a victory out against Iron Man. Not a hard concept to understand
    Cap tag teamed with Bucky and a large portion was Stark focusing just on Bucky - that's why he let himself be open to Cap crippling his boot rockets so he couldn't fly, and they are in an enclosed area and Stark wasn't thinking straight. Ant-man's not going to stop Kang alone, he'll probably have help from his whole family, definitely Hope.

  3. #63
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Cap tag teamed with Bucky and a large portion was Stark focusing just on Bucky - that's why he let himself be open to Cap crippling his boot rockets so he couldn't fly, and they are in an enclosed area and Stark wasn't thinking straight. Ant-man's not going to stop Kang alone, he'll probably have help from his whole family, definitely Hope.
    I don't know why everyone keeps acting like I stated the exact scenario under which Kang vs. Scott could end with a Scott edged out win.

  4. #64
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Ultimately, if you're not comfortable with Kang being the straight man in a comedy, you're probably going to want to stay away from this.

    I think it's the only sensible use of the character. He has his fans, but objectively he's just not that big of a presence to be more than a good use of a punch line in an actual movie.

  5. #65
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Ultimately, if you're not comfortable with Kang being the straight man in a comedy, you're probably going to want to stay away from this.

    I think it's the only sensible use of the character. He has his fans, but objectively he's just not that big of a presence to be more than a good use of a punch line in an actual movie.
    I mean, he's probably one of the biggest Avenger villains. I think that warrants more seriousness than a punch line in a movie, but all the villains in Ant-Man have been fairly serious, even if Cross/Yellowjacket was a tad manic and that crook in the second film was a joke.

  6. #66
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, he's probably one of the biggest Avenger villains. I think that warrants more seriousness than a punch line in a movie, but all the villains in Ant-Man have been fairly serious, even if Cross/Yellowjacket was a tad manic and that crook in the second film was a joke.
    Well okay, if you're cool with Kang getting the equivalent of being hit by Thomas the Tank Engine then I guess we don't have a disagreement here. But do keep in mind, he hasn't fought anyone yet, let alone the Avengers. He is currently no ones biggest villain.

  7. #67
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Well okay, if you're cool with Kang getting the equivalent of being hit by Thomas the Tank Engine then I guess we don't have a disagreement here. But do keep in mind, he hasn't fought anyone yet, let alone the Avengers. He is currently no ones biggest villain.
    Villains can lose fights without losing their credibility as threats, ya know

  8. #68
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Villains can lose fights without losing their credibility as threats, ya know
    Cross did not lose his credibility, I think. I'm not suggesting Kang would either. I'm only suggesting that Kang is a big deal to a relative handful of people, and if you're going to use him in a comedy, then be prepared for him to be surrounded by comedy. Thanos is the only character to have a role in a comedy without having a single comedic moment, but he was prevalent throughout the MCU and was engaged in a storyline which could not, inherently, be a cause for humor.

    Kang has no such immunity, unless Marvel decides to give him some. In which case, Ant Man would be an odd choice for a debut.

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,296

    Default

    Ant-Man 3...if you have told me ten years ago that one day we would have an Ant-Man movies trilogy to enjoy i would have richly laugh.

    Interesting times.

  10. #70
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Cross did not lose his credibility, I think. I'm not suggesting Kang would either. I'm only suggesting that Kang is a big deal to a relative handful of people, and if you're going to use him in a comedy, then be prepared for him to be surrounded by comedy. Thanos is the only character to have a role in a comedy without having a single comedic moment, but he was prevalent throughout the MCU and was engaged in a storyline which could not, inherently, be a cause for humor.

    Kang has no such immunity, unless Marvel decides to give him some. In which case, Ant Man would be an odd choice for a debut.
    Ronan maintained his menace in Guardians almost until the end. Not saying it'd be easy, but you can have a threatening villain and jokey hero

  11. #71
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Well okay, if you're cool with Kang getting the equivalent of being hit by Thomas the Tank Engine then I guess we don't have a disagreement here. But do keep in mind, he hasn't fought anyone yet, let alone the Avengers. He is currently no ones biggest villain.
    Granted, we don't even know if he's actually the villain of the movie, although they kind of announced it like he was, but I don't expect they'd use him like they have other villains in this trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Cross did not lose his credibility, I think. I'm not suggesting Kang would either. I'm only suggesting that Kang is a big deal to a relative handful of people, and if you're going to use him in a comedy, then be prepared for him to be surrounded by comedy. Thanos is the only character to have a role in a comedy without having a single comedic moment, but he was prevalent throughout the MCU and was engaged in a storyline which could not, inherently, be a cause for humor.

    Kang has no such immunity, unless Marvel decides to give him some. In which case, Ant Man would be an odd choice for a debut.
    I know they're Marvel movies but Infinity War and Endgame were not comedies.

    Kang is like temporal Thanos without the Infinity Stones so I hope they don't scale him back.

  12. #72
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kang is like temporal Thanos without the Infinity Stones so I hope they don't scale him back.
    Kang is like Ronan without a single infinity stone. He is nothing like Thanos.

  13. #73
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ronan maintained his menace in Guardians almost until the end. Not saying it'd be easy, but you can have a threatening villain and jokey hero
    Yes, but you cannot have a comedy movie without the climax being a joke

  14. #74
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Kang is like Ronan without a single infinity stone. He is nothing like Thanos.
    Kang is a completely different character than Ronan.

  15. #75
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kang is a completely different character than Ronan.
    Yes and he's a completely different character than Thanos. But in Ant Man, he serves the same purpose as Ronan. He doesn't come close to serving the same purpose as Thanos.

    Like I said before, Kang is a way to bring scale to the movie without substance to the MCU.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •