Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I could see Ant-Man getting a victory over a version of Kang, and immediately having to face a much more prepared and experienced Kang who monologues, "Oh, I let everyone win the first round. Gives me an idea of what they are capable of. Then I go back and prepare specific weapons and tactics for them. Like this." {Zap!}

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Cap edged a victory out against Iron Man. Not a hard concept to understand
    Cap tag teamed with Bucky and a large portion was Stark focusing just on Bucky - that's why he let himself be open to Cap crippling his boot rockets so he couldn't fly, and they are in an enclosed area and Stark wasn't thinking straight. Ant-man's not going to stop Kang alone, he'll probably have help from his whole family, definitely Hope.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Cap tag teamed with Bucky and a large portion was Stark focusing just on Bucky - that's why he let himself be open to Cap crippling his boot rockets so he couldn't fly, and they are in an enclosed area and Stark wasn't thinking straight. Ant-man's not going to stop Kang alone, he'll probably have help from his whole family, definitely Hope.
    I don't know why everyone keeps acting like I stated the exact scenario under which Kang vs. Scott could end with a Scott edged out win.

BANNED

Ultimately, if you're not comfortable with Kang being the straight man in a comedy, you're probably going to want to stay away from this.

I think it's the only sensible use of the character. He has his fans, but objectively he's just not that big of a presence to be more than a good use of a punch line in an actual movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Ultimately, if you're not comfortable with Kang being the straight man in a comedy, you're probably going to want to stay away from this.

I think it's the only sensible use of the character. He has his fans, but objectively he's just not that big of a presence to be more than a good use of a punch line in an actual movie.
    I mean, he's probably one of the biggest Avenger villains. I think that warrants more seriousness than a punch line in a movie, but all the villains in Ant-Man have been fairly serious, even if Cross/Yellowjacket was a tad manic and that crook in the second film was a joke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, he's probably one of the biggest Avenger villains. I think that warrants more seriousness than a punch line in a movie, but all the villains in Ant-Man have been fairly serious, even if Cross/Yellowjacket was a tad manic and that crook in the second film was a joke.
    Well okay, if you're cool with Kang getting the equivalent of being hit by Thomas the Tank Engine then I guess we don't have a disagreement here. But do keep in mind, he hasn't fought anyone yet, let alone the Avengers. He is currently no ones biggest villain.

Ultimate Member

Well okay, if you're cool with Kang getting the equivalent of being hit by Thomas the Tank Engine then I guess we don't have a disagreement here. But do keep in mind, he hasn't fought anyone yet, let alone the Avengers. He is currently no ones biggest villain.
    Villains can lose fights without losing their credibility as threats, ya know

BANNED

Villains can lose fights without losing their credibility as threats, ya know
    Cross did not lose his credibility, I think. I'm not suggesting Kang would either. I'm only suggesting that Kang is a big deal to a relative handful of people, and if you're going to use him in a comedy, then be prepared for him to be surrounded by comedy. Thanos is the only character to have a role in a comedy without having a single comedic moment, but he was prevalent throughout the MCU and was engaged in a storyline which could not, inherently, be a cause for humor.

Kang has no such immunity, unless Marvel decides to give him some. In which case, Ant Man would be an odd choice for a debut.

Ant-Man 3...if you have told me ten years ago that one day we would have an Ant-Man movies trilogy to enjoy i would have richly laugh.

Interesting times.

Ultimate Member

Cross did not lose his credibility, I think. I'm not suggesting Kang would either. I'm only suggesting that Kang is a big deal to a relative handful of people, and if you're going to use him in a comedy, then be prepared for him to be surrounded by comedy. Thanos is the only character to have a role in a comedy without having a single comedic moment, but he was prevalent throughout the MCU and was engaged in a storyline which could not, inherently, be a cause for humor.

Kang has no such immunity, unless Marvel decides to give him some. In which case, Ant Man would be an odd choice for a debut.
    Ronan maintained his menace in Guardians almost until the end. Not saying it'd be easy, but you can have a threatening villain and jokey hero

Granted, we don't even know if he's actually the villain of the movie, although they kind of announced it like he was, but I don't expect they'd use him like they have other villains in this trilogy.

I know they're Marvel movies but Infinity War and Endgame were not comedies.

Kang is like temporal Thanos without the Infinity Stones so I hope they don't scale him back.

BANNED

Kang is like temporal Thanos without the Infinity Stones so I hope they don't scale him back.
    Kang is like Ronan without a single infinity stone. He is nothing like Thanos.

BANNED

Ronan maintained his menace in Guardians almost until the end. Not saying it'd be easy, but you can have a threatening villain and jokey hero
    Yes, but you cannot have a comedy movie without the climax being a joke

Kang is like Ronan without a single infinity stone. He is nothing like Thanos.
    Kang is a completely different character than Ronan.

BANNED

Kang is a completely different character than Ronan.
    Yes and he's a completely different character than Thanos. But in Ant Man, he serves the same purpose as Ronan. He doesn't come close to serving the same purpose as Thanos.

Like I said before, Kang is a way to bring scale to the movie without substance to the MCU.