Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    730

    Default Mid Tier characters who should have upgraded to Top Tier a long time ago

    Who are your pics?

    For me it's Piccolo from DBZ

    Retsu from Baki

    Green Arrow from DC comics
    Last edited by JohnDiggle; 09-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    With the recent emergence of Billy McCallum and the hyperbolic, mangafied image of the Philly Shell in Hajime no Ippo and his direct comparison to Floyd Mayweather Jr, I recalled how Kenta 'Clincher' Kobashi didn't enough play.

    Granted, the hype factor of battle/sports manga is essential, and he broke Hayami's jaw and ruined his career before retiring gracefully, but dammit, I think it'd be hilarious to see the kid outpoint Miyata or something like that.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,393

    Default

    Firestar from Marvel:





    Azrael (JPV) from DC Comics:



    Ray from Beyblade:

    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-16-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    Chad from Bleach really deserved a significant power boost at some point during the series.

  5. #5
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    I don't get the premise of this thread.

    Like, taking an example of Retsu from the OP, Retsu has no business being in the top tier. He's not a Hanma, he's not prehistoric cave man, he's not a revived cloned super samurai and he's not... a big... sumo... man. Consistently, throughout the series, he's been on the threshold between Mid Card and Top Billing. If you can beat Retsu, you are a serious threat. If you can't you are in the mid card. That is, narratively, what he's essentially for.

    Is the premise of the thread, who would you /like/ to see get a power boost? Because the wording "should have been upgraded a long time ago," is weird. I don't really get what we're discussing here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Chad from Bleach really deserved a significant power boost at some point during the series.
    I mean, he did.

    Twice. Remember him beating up Arrancar without issue?
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, he did.

    Twice. Remember him beating up Arrancar without issue?
    True.

    Then he ran into a proper bad guy and got crushed.

    I think I just wanted Chad to be more relevant. At least he got a happy ending.

  7. #7
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    True.

    Then he ran into a proper bad guy and got crushed.

    I think I just wanted Chad to be more relevant. At least he got a happy ending.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    Do agree with the Piccolo argument. Lord Slug was an early villain and a pretty good one but never got brought back. Piccolo should be able to reach that level and keep growing.

  9. #9
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Do agree with the Piccolo argument. Lord Slug was an early villain and a pretty good one but never got brought back. Piccolo should be able to reach that level and keep growing.
    But he did?

    Piccolo stayed somewhat relevant during a significant portion of the Android Saga and came back as a person of some relevance in Super. Wherever he is the power curve he's wildly beyond Lord Slug.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  10. #10
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    True.

    Then he ran into a proper bad guy and got crushed.

    I think I just wanted Chad to be more relevant. At least he got a happy ending.
    Hey, remember when Bleach was about the dynamic between Ichigo and his friends rather than a bunch of ghost magic nazis wanting to end the world? Ah, good times.

    God bless the Rescue Rukia arc.

    Though... with that said, if I'm being realistic; the problems of not having a cohesive ensemble cast dynamic was really established during that arc. We started so strong with the team powering up and invading Seireitei together and it was cool! And... and then Chad, Ishida and Orihime just fell off the story by the end of it and never really recovered for the. They got their fights in... well, Ishida did. Chad got a squash match against Shunsui and then neither of them did much of anything for the rest of the arc.

    sad_trombone.wav

    Oh Bleach. I love you but also... wish you had been better.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 09-16-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    But he did?

    Piccolo stayed somewhat relevant during a significant portion of the Android Saga and came back as a person of some relevance in Super. Wherever he is the power curve he's wildly beyond Lord Slug.
    Okay I haven't kept up with the newer series. But he's still really way below Goku,Vegeta and even older Villains like Freiza. That have all powered up through the years. Unless I'm wrong but that's how it seems.

  12. #12
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Okay I haven't kept up with the newer series. But he's still really way below Goku,Vegeta and even older Villains like Freiza. That have all powered up through the years. Unless I'm wrong but that's how it seems.
    Piccolo was stronger than Goku and Vegeta (and Frieza as well I guess) for about five minutes in the brief window after he had absorbed Kami but before the Sayains went into the hyperbolic time chamber.

    After that point he stopped mattering until Super whereupon he, and many other random-ass characters got a soft proximity lift in power level just... y'know... because?
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Hey, remember when Bleach was about the dynamic between Ichigo and his friends rather than a bunch of ghost magic nazis wanting to end the world? Ah, good times.

    God bless the Rescue Rukia arc.

    Though... with that said, if I'm being realistic; the problems of not having a cohesive ensemble cast dynamic was really established during that arc. We started so strong with the team powering up and invading Seireitei together and it was cool! And... and then Chad, Ishida and Orihime just fell off the story by the end of it and never really recovered for the. They got their fights in... well, Ishida did. Chad got a squash match against Shunsui and then neither of them did much of anything for the rest of the arc.

    sad_trombone.wav

    Oh Bleach. I love you but also... wish you had been better.
    I personally always prefered the Arrancar arc... up until Aizen and his crew leave for the battle at the fake Karakura town.

    Before that we're basically back to Ichigo's main circle of friends being being important. That is, maybe not in terms of pure power, but they all had their own story arcs and sense of agency. The stakes are higher and there's just enough involvement from the Shinigami for them to be fun additions without taking over everything. Then Ichigo gets involved with more benevolent criminals from Soul Society and he goes against direct orders from Yamamoto, and Chad and Ishida are right there with him because saving their friend is more than taking orders from some old genocide ghost grampa.

    Then everything just devolved into fighting. Orihime, Chad and Ishida never really got to follow through on their character arcs (Orihime kinda did in the last arc but that's way too late). Rukia and Renji were also there.

    There are so many things I love about Bleach, and I do still love it as a whole. But there are also lots of glaring flaws!

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member T51R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    Who are your pics?

    For me it's Piccolo from DBZ

    Retsu from Baki

    Green Arrow from DC comics
    Retsu's going to have to get upgraded posthumously...

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    Who are your pics?

    For me it's Piccolo from DBZ

    Retsu from Baki

    Green Arrow from DC comics
    Piccolo is good, but I would also put in Future Trunks. In all honesty, he could (potentially) have his own spin off series.
    Plus his ending in Super, be it anime or especially the manga, left a lot to be desired. At least in DBZ, they showed how he made his timeline a better place. In Super, we got speculative exposition as to what would happen when he "returned". But considering the circumstances, it would have been the perfect chance to make the Time Patrol (Dragon Ball Heroes and Xenoverse 1&2) canonical.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •