Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Have people just seen the tv show (i havent) and not read the comic (i have)?

Genuinely baffled by the comments on here.

Edit: just seen castiel's comment. They sound wildly different
    I read the first couple issues way before the show dropped but I know more of the shows material than the comics.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Are the seven not the justice league in the TV show? In the comic they are clearly the league.
    They are still clearly the League in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I think OP need to read JL: Earth 2 by Grant Morisson and Frank Quitely, because I think that's the story that he wanted to read.
    While its a great story, I don't recall Superman and Ultraman really going head to head which seems more like what the OP is looking for. But still definitely worth reading.

I'm sure Ultraman and Superman have faced off directly on other occasions but can't recall specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I read the first couple issues way before the show dropped but I know more of the shows material than the comics.
    Same, and while i often enjoy Ennis work (particularly Preacher and his Punisher runs) , i didn't enjoy what i read of the Boys. Most of the time i don't find Ennis' skewering of superheroes very entertaining and feel like other writers have been able to satirize them more effectively. That said, really enjoy the amazon series quite a bit although thus far i think i prefer S1 over S2

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Same, and while i often enjoy Ennis work (particularly Preacher and his Punisher runs) , i didn't enjoy what i read of the Boys. Most of the time i don't find Ennis' skewering of superheroes very entertaining and feel like other writers have been able to satirize them more effectively. That said, really enjoy the amazon series quite a bit although thus far i think i prefer S1 over S2
    I think at the start of the story it does look like a satire but as the story moves on it asks all the big questions that DC and Marvel have asked too of their characters. But it can give logical and realistic answers to those questions

Spectacular Member

I think at the start of the story it does look like a satire but as the story moves on it asks all the big questions that DC and Marvel have asked too of their characters. But it can give logical and realistic answers to those questions
    I quite liked the GN series as a whole story. No doubt that Ennis is a terrific storyteller. The arcs were well written and the whole story evolved to the unfortunately inevitable conclusion--although I did not suspect the ending story twist at all.

That being said, I also nearly hated the GN in equal measure because of several factors.
    1- the complete ineptness of the "supes"
    2nd- the mustache twirling evil of every single supe in the story with very very few exceptions. That got old real quick. You mean in a world with hundreds of superpowered people--they're ALL jerks who don't want to help their fellow man? Maybe realistic but hardly entertaining.
    3-Butcher's nigh-Bat-God ability to plan for every possible scenario and to manipulate everyone around with incredible ease. I much prefer the TV version--he at least screws up from time to time.
    4- Other than Hughie really no protagonists to root for. Again I get that was the point of the series--nobody is really a "good guy" in the Boys, but it made for depressing reading at times

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Yeah, I have the first three volumes of Preacher and keep meaning to get back to it. Really liked it so far, and I have his complete Hellblazer run as well.

Basically I like him more when he isn't skewering superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    I quite liked the GN series as a whole story. No doubt that Ennis is a terrific storyteller. The arcs were well written and the whole story evolved to the unfortunately inevitable conclusion--although I did not suspect the ending story twist at all.

That being said, I also nearly hated the GN in equal measure because of several factors.
    2nd- the mustache twirling evil of every single supe in the story with very very few exceptions. That got old real quick. You mean in a world with hundreds of superpowered people--they're ALL jerks who don't want to help their fellow man? Maybe realistic but hardly entertaining.
    3-Butcher's nigh-Bat-God ability to plan for every possible scenario and to manipulate everyone around with incredible ease. I much prefer the TV version--he at least screws up from time to time.
    4- Other than Hughie really no protagonists to root for. Again I get that was the point of the series--nobody is really a "good guy" in the Boys, but it made for depressing reading at times
    I think this is a major issue for me. It's just as unrealistic as the idealism, just on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. There is also the fact that superheroes are designed to function in fantastical worlds not like ours, so pointing out how they would't work realistically is always a "yeah, no **** Captain Obvious" thing for me.

I do like Hughie and Starlight in the show a lot, along with Maeve. At least as far as season 1 goes. And I think the Karl Urban factor helps Butcher tremendously.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    An issue with creating a 'take that' story on Ennis is his portrayal of superheroes tend to be pompous, aloof, brutish, sanctimonious and removed from 'real world' problems. Like in both The Boys and The Pro he was very critical of the idea superheroes could or would do anything to stop 9/11...because terrorists are a real problem and superheroes are too stupid and soft to handle real problems.

So to have a story where the Justice League just beats the living hell out of a bunch of thinly veiled Boys, while cathartic, would only play into the idea superheroes are would-be fascists with their heads up their asses.

A proper 'take that' against Ennis would be a story where superheroes prove to be genuine and inspirational--but even then would probably play into his stereotypical portrayal of heroes as soft, kiddie nonsense unlike the guys he does approve of like Punisher.

I think the closest to this story done well would be "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?"
    Actually, I think you highlighted why "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?" didn't really resonate with me. It felt too much like a dick-measuring contest between Superman and the Elite.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post

I think for point 2, they are created by the industrial military complex (or however it goes in the story- i cant remember now) as instruments of control but who are themselves controlled by smarter people - they know that, they know they are both powerful and impotent but to placate them they are just indulged to whatever hedonistic delights they are willing to fall for.

And thats a pretty accurate reflection of the characters actual ceeation and history in the comics. Dcs getting Superman was probably one of the biggest hustles of 20th century, Bill Finger couldnt even get his name on the tagline for Batman, and ceeator of wonderwoman was an 'interesting' guy to say the least. Whilst DC presents their characters as paragons of virtue or relentless justice, behind it all is no justice.

That does make it a bitter read, but its a bitter industry with a dreadful past, which the author lays bare

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Actually, I think you highlighted why "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?" didn't really resonate with me. It felt too much like a dick-measuring contest between Superman and the Elite.
    It also smacked of hypocrisy considering who was president at the time.
    Last edited by Rod G; 09-18-2020 at 12:11 AM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty