Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't he ask to join The Avengers at the end of Avengers #11?
    No he did not. He defeated the robot Spiderman and left. Captain America saw him floating to the ground on his web and told the other Avengers what happened. But Spiderman never asked to join and did not talk to any of the Avengers in the issue. The only Spiderman who had dealings with the team was Kang's robot double.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I could swear there was a story back in the eighties where he wanted to join the Avengers when he heard how much they paid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I could swear there was a story back in the eighties where he wanted to join the Avengers when he heard how much they paid.
    That was Roger Stern's run yeah, but the original Avengers tries to recruit Spider-Man story happened under the pen of Lee-Romita.

And even in Stern's issue, Spider-Man does have resentment towards the Avengers
    --"Trainee program?!? Hey, I'm Spider-Man, Remember? I was sticking to walls when you guys were still looking for a clubhouse, I'm no green rookie!"
    -Spider-Man, Avengers #236

And he's right. Spider-Man is senior to the Avengers, senior to Iron Man. He was active for a good time before they came along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That was Roger Stern's run yeah, but the original Avengers tries to recruit Spider-Man story happened under the pen of Lee-Romita.

And even in Stern's issue, Spider-Man does have resentment towards the Avengers
    --"Trainee program?!? Hey, I'm Spider-Man, Remember? I was sticking to walls when you guys were still looking for a clubhouse, I'm no green rookie!"
    -Spider-Man, Avengers #236

And he's right. Spider-Man is senior to the Avengers, senior to Iron Man. He was active for a good time before they came along.
    Something I wish adaptations remembered when they make "Spider-Man-Avengers" stories where Peter is always treated as a junior.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I would say the reason why the FF aren't as respected as superheroes is because, technically, they aren't meant to be superheroes as much as they are explorers. They just happen to fight crime as well.

With the Avengers, they were outright formed to be a superhero team.

Reed and the rest of the FF might get more respect for their contributions to science than any heroics they did. Of course, this is mostly a semantics argument, so take it with a grain of salt.
    This.

The Fantastic Four are more liked by everyday people, but the Avengers are perceived as the JL equivalent in-universe. The Avengers are arguably more respected in the sense that more people in-universe look up to them than they look up to the FF (being liked and being looked up to are different things, even if there is a lot of overlap).

This was arguably true even pre-MCU. Stories as old as Born Again have flirted with the idea of the Avengers being the in-universe equivalent of the JL and people looking up to them in that way. Cap, Iron Man, and Thor's introduction when they came to pick up Nuke is similar to how Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman would be introduced if they guest-starred in your average DC book.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-23-2020 at 07:55 AM.

All-New Member

Amen to that, Crimz!!

Something I wish adaptations remembered when they make "Spider-Man-Avengers" stories where Peter is always treated as a junior.
    That is what has always bothered me Avengers comics with Spider Man. he never seems to be taken seriously. its like the writers decide to use him as comic relief. Like that is his only role.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    That is what has always bothered me Avengers comics with Spider Man. he never seems to be taken seriously. its like the writers decide to use him as comic relief. Like that is his only role.
    Same, and while there are a few moments here and there where the writers or characters remember that this is freaking Spider-Man and give him his rightful due . . . those moments aren't as frequent or recurrent as they should be.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I would say the reason why the FF aren't as respected as superheroes is because, technically, they aren't meant to be superheroes as much as they are explorers. They just happen to fight crime as well.

With the Avengers, they were outright formed to be a superhero team.

Reed and the rest of the FF might get more respect for their contributions to science than any heroics they did. Of course, this is mostly a semantics argument, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I don't see it. The whole 'Explorer' thing is really overrated. On the grand scheme of things... their 'exploration' is pretty minor. Most of the greatest FF stories have always been New York based. Mole Man's monsters attacking the city... New York. Chasing Galactus away? New York... Physically beating down Galactus... New York (though the Avengers helped there too). Namor Attacks? New York... yancy Street Gang? Frightful Four? All New York based. Just like all the other Marvel heroes.

They may spend a little time in the negative Zone or the microverse or the Moon... but the general public would know them as the Super Heroes to call when Giant beings are attacking the city and they'll come save the day in that weird flying bathtub. Most of that OTHER stuff never hits the newspaper it's too 'weird and unbelievable'.

On a separate note... One of the running gags Stan Lee did was that Marvel Comics is a legitimate entity inside 616 Marvel and have been publishing the 'true crimes documentaries' of the Fantastic four for YEARS.

BANNED

As for the issue of non-Richards' family and friends count as members...the new Slott issue makes it clear that Iceman still considers it a honor to be briefly a FF member with a "4 on his chest" and everything. He's also recognized as a member by FF's computer.