Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Are the Best Iron Man Runs And/Or Arcs?

So while I'm an old time Marvel reader (X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Daredevil are some of my favorites) I've never really been into Iron Man comics, but I've been curious to try for a while. I realize these kind of threads pop up every now and them, but here I'm gonna ask for runs or storyarcs focused on Tony's relationships with Pepper, Happy, Rhodey etc... My interest comes straight from the MCU movies, so I'd probably prefer stories that have that particular feel. So mainly stories where the focus is more on Tony than on Iron Man and the villain of the week, if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    So while I'm an old time Marvel reader (X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Daredevil are some of my favorites) I've never really been into Iron Man comics, but I've been curious to try for a while. I realize these kind of threads pop up every now and them, but here I'm gonna ask for runs or storyarcs focused on Tony's relationships with Pepper, Happy, Rhodey etc... My interest comes straight from the MCU movies, so I'd probably prefer stories that have that particular feel. So mainly stories where the focus is more on Tony than on Iron Man and the villain of the week, if that makes sense.

Thanks.
    Demon in A Bottle
    Armor Wars
    Armor Wars II
    Five Nightmares
    World's Most Wanted
    Stark Disassembled
    Extremis
    With Hands of Iron

Just a few off the top of my head.

Most of the Micheline/Layton stuff is good, pretty much one of the classic 80's runs. Denny O'Neill was also very good.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm a fan of the Bill Mantlo/George Tuska run myself.
    719805.jpg

Micheline and Dennis O'Neil run are the classics, based in what i heard.

Fraction is divisive but it was also a gateway drug for many Iron Man fans apparently.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Busiek

and Fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post

Thanks.
    Since you asked about Tony's relationships, how about the "special bond" between Tony & his armor.
    After a freak accident, the armor develops feelings and starts lusting after Tony.

From the mind of Joe Quesada comes...

The Mask in the Iron Man

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-15-2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Boisterously Confused

To me, the arc where we learn who Justin Hammer is, is The Best Iron Man You're Gonna Find.

Throwing Director of SHIELD in the ring. Loved that story.

The Knaufs run.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Busiek

and Fraction.

If you want to see runs were it shows his relationships with his supporting cast then these 2 are great to read.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Knaufs run.
    Second this.

If you are going for a modern Iron Man, read from Extremis by Ellis up to the end of the Knauf's run. Follow-up with Factions run.
    Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Matt Fraction my dude, the run that actually made me care about Stark especially after Civil War

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Most of the Micheline/Layton stuff is good, pretty much one of the classic 80's runs. Denny O'Neill was also very good.
    I second this. Many interesting long lasting elements to the Iron Man mythos came during those runs. Things that went on to feature in the MCU movies as well.

The Micheline/Layton runs introduced Hall of Armors, Tony's Alcoholism, Rhodey's debut, foes like Justin Hammer, Firepower and Ghost.
    Denny O'Neill introduced Obadiah Stane and the Silver Centurion armor.