Page 24 of 130 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    So you've never watched the show, but yet felt the need to come into a thread not at all about the show and bring up how you "hope they address the chaos of why two black people wind up with a mixed race daughter." which turned out to be completely wrong both in-universe and in reality. OK, i guess. You do you.
    Replace "daughter" with "son", and you get a yes. The point I was making still stands, I just misremembered (because I don't keep up with the show or cast) who it was about (Wally, not Iris).

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Replace "daughter" with "son", and you get a yes. The point I was making still stands, I just misremembered (because I don't keep up with the show or cast) who it was about (Wally, not Iris).
    The point doesn't stand because most fans of the show don't care. Nobody's watching it and thinking Wally is bi-racial on the show, so there's no need to address it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The point doesn't stand because most fans of the show don't care. Nobody's watching it and thinking Wally is bi-racial on the show, so there's no need to address it.
    While it's not something I feel particularly strongly about in this instance, I actually would like to see them address why there is a clearly mixed race guy in a family of just black people. The bizarre thing about the Wally West instance is that the actor is actually accurate in relation to the comic book, as New 52 Wally is mixed, but weirdly doesn't make much sense with the world of the show, because both his parents are black. It's most likely an instance of whoever was doing the casting "one dropping" and saying "black is just black". And yes, following that line of reasoning through has lead to chaos. That's pretty well documented actually.

You can say you don't care, but there have been people who do care about that sort of thing. From a mixed race perspective, it's neat to see an actual mixed person there, but at the same time, you don't get REAL representation, because he's not really portraying a mixed person, and his environment is not of a mixed household, which a mixed race person might experience. We've heard from black people and how they don't like being overwritten with mixed actors. So, it's kinda' like, who wins here? The weird thing about this Wally though, is that the character is actually SUPPOSED to be mixed, if you go by the comics.

And again, while I don't really care about this particular instance, because I don't watch the show, there are some things to say about this sort of practice in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    While it's not something I feel particularly strongly about in this instance, I actually would like to see them address why there is a clearly mixed race guy in a family of just black people. The bizarre thing about the Wally West instance is that the actor is actually accurate in relation to the comic book, as New 52 Wally is mixed, but weirdly doesn't make much sense with the world of the show, because both his parents are black. It's most likely an instance of whoever was doing the casting "one dropping" and saying "black is just black". And yes, following that line of reasoning through has lead to chaos. That's pretty well documented actually.

You can say you don't care, but there have been people who do care about that sort of thing. From a mixed race perspective, it's neat to see an actual mixed person there, but at the same time, you don't get REAL representation, because he's not really portraying a mixed person, and his environment is not of a mixed household, which a mixed race person might experience. We've heard from black people and how they don't like being overwritten with mixed actors. So, it's kinda' like, who wins here? The weird thing about this Wally though, is that the character is actually SUPPOSED to be mixed, if you go by the comics.

And again, while I don't really care about this particular instance, because I don't watch the show, there are some things to say about this sort of practice in general.
    Except he's not "clearly" mixed race. As another poster stated, it's completely possible/plausible for 2 African-American parents to have a child that looks like Wally. It's a non-issue in regards to the show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Except he's not "clearly" mixed race. As another poster stated, it's completely possible/plausible for 2 African-American parents to have a child that looks like Wally. It's a non-issue in regards to the show.
    Not only is he clearly mixed race...He IS mixed race. Hehehe, I guess they could have put an Asian guy there and say..."Well, ya' know' stranger things have happened."

But you know, I don't know if you're a fan of the show or what, but my comment was never really intended to overtake a Ray Fisher thread. I stand by it and the point I made, which I think I illustrated clearly in my previous post. If people take issue with it for whatever reason, that's okay--though I do have a sneaking suspicion you may find them defending some of the very same points in a different context--but, I'm not really too interested in discussing it in this topic.

Well yes, I am a fan and was speaking from that perspective. I read/participate in a few fan boards/topics about the show and you're the first person I've seen bring this up. That's why I said it isn't really an issue with fans of the show.

But you're right, we have derailed this topic enough. So back to Fisher...the most suspicious thing about these accusations is the timing for me. I don't think he's lying but agree with others who say he's misreading what actually happened.

This thread took a weird-ass turn.

Anyway, Fisher now claims he's going to talk to Forbes about the retraction and Farooqi's firing.

Extraordinary Member

As someone who watches Riverdale, the show pretty much craps over all characters not in the core 4 and sometimes Cheryl. The writers introduce characters all the time but then don’t know what to do with them after that.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This thread took a weird-ass turn.

Anyway, Fisher now claims he's going to talk to Forbes about the retraction and Farooqi's firing.
    Um, what does he plan on telling them??

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I have no idea. It seems like the reason for his dismissal would be pretty obvious to all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Maybe he's not happy that they're not 100% supporting his version of events?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'll just say this, I've heard enough about Whedon over the years way before this to believe that he's definitely a hypocrite when it comes to trying to paint himself as a feminist, and that he can be an ass on set sometimes. Obviously not to the degree that everyone he ever interacts with professionally hates him, but there's some who've had issues with him, with reason.

That said? I don't believe for a second he had the color of any scene in the film altered for racist reasons. I mean, I'm sorry its just utterly ridiculous. The explanation given to the since unverified and removed claim makes all the sense in the world. Matching tones from footage shot on film, and the footage shot on digital. Fisher's doubling down on that part instead of distancing himself from it actually threatens to hurt his previous claims. Because this particular claim from whatever unreliable third party made it up is such a fiasco.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-02-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

It's sad for him. But either he did something wrong or idk Whedon's team got involved obviously as they should.

Well, somebody got terminated for this. Just not the person anybody was expecting .