Page 12 of 130 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Article doesn't even mention Ray or Justice League and seems more likely to be referring to the Ellen controversy.

Fisher vaguely states "Progress" and this pertains to Warner. With this Fisher situation and Ellen controversy, It could mean that Warner might change their work ethics and environment.

Accountability>Entertainment
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Fisher vaguely states "Progress" and this pertains to Warner. With this Fisher situation and Ellen controversy, It could mean that Warner might change their work ethics and environment.

Accountability>Entertainment
    Or, just as possible, they mentioned some figures to make him go away that were interesting. We don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Article doesn't even mention Ray or Justice League and seems more likely to be referring to the Ellen controversy.
    The article doesn't really matter here. The memos—and they were sent officially to THR by the highest level of Warnermedia—matter a lot more. The memos make no reference to any specific cases, just "concerned and disappointed by public reports regarding patterns of unacceptable behavior that have been raised in recent weeks". Ray Fisher's statements are certainly such a public report.

This is even made explicit in the article, with the following:

(A WarnerMedia spokesperson points out the memos were meant to address HR problems throughout the company.)
    So if Fisher's statements aren't part of this yet, it will be within a few days.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

In October, director Zack Snyder will roll cameras for his extended cut of Justice League, working for WarnerMedia’s HBO Max division on restoring his version of the maligned 2017 movie that he exited because of a family tragedy. The shoot, which will turn the “Snyder Cut” into a four-episode limited series, is expected to bring back Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman for new scenes. Also set to appear on the call sheet for what is expected to be a week- or so- long shoot is Ray Fisher as Cyborg.

The latter is noteworthy because Fisher is in a public dispute with sister WarnerMedia division Warner Bros., which he accuses of permitting Joss Whedon, the director who took over from Snyder, to engage in misconduct and abuse while reshooting Justice League. Fisher also claimed that executives Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, who both have since left the studio, enabled Whedon’s behavior. (Warner Bros. declined comment. WarnerMedia remains in business with Whedon, whose new show, HBO sci-fi drama The Nevers, is back in production in London.)

For Fisher, being cast as superhero Cyborg by Snyder was supposed to be the break of a lifetime. The actor went from theatre work and one episode of television to land the character, who was first introduced in Snyder’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) then showcased more predominantly in Justice League. Cyborg was also get his own standalone movie, which was slated for 2020. But all that was years ago. Justice League disappointed at the box office and a DC Films shake up saw Johns and Berg let go, to be replaced Walter Hamada, an executive from Warners' sister arm New Line.

Fisher’s dissatisfaction came to light June 29 when he shared a video clip of himself at 2017’s San Diego Comic-Con praising Whedon but writing on Twitter he’d like to “retract every bit of this statement.” On July 1, the actor elaborated, calling Whedon’s behavior on set “gross, abusive, unprofessional and completely unacceptable.” Fisher’s remarks pushed WarnerMedia to investigate the claims, and on Aug. 20, he announced the company was looking into them. That led to a back and forth between WarnerMedia and Fisher about whether he was cooperating with the investigation (they claimed he wasn’t, but he said he was).

On Sept. 4, Fisher tweeted that Hamada, who had no connection to the previous Warners or DC film regime, had privately disparaged Whedon and Berg to him, in an effort to spare Johns. The studio responded with a statement of its own, claiming Fisher had not cooperated with the investigation, and Fisher fired back with a screenshot of an email that seemed to show he had indeed met with an investigator. He also wrote Warners "has escalated this to an entirely different level, but I’m ready to meet the challenge." On Sept. 14, Aquaman’s Jason Momoa reignited Fisher’s claims of misconduct, writing on Instagram, “It needs to be investigated and people need to be held accountable.” Momoa's wading into the delicate issue is said to have caught both the studio and his own team off-guard as the actor and studio are preparing to shoot Aquaman 2 early next year.

Insiders recall to THR that the Justice League reshoots conducted by Whedon were a messy and hastily assembled affair. Snyder left the project in May 2017, ahead of a November release date. Whedon had to cram an extensive rewrite and reshoot and take over postproduction. One person present at the reshoots describes a set filled with tension and says the director was difficult with actors. But this person also says they did not witness physical or other abuse. Johns and Berg were under pressure, another insider notes, as they were trying to deliver a tentpole and knew their jobs were on the line. Whedon did jettison many of Fisher’s scenes, according to sources, and his directing style is described as the opposite of Snyder’s collaborative approach. It also is unclear if Fisher filed a complaint at the time.

Fisher is in talks with Warner Bros. to make a cameo in The Flash, a Justice League spinoff movie due to shoot next year. He has options negotiated for future appearances, including cameos, beyond the initial film. But in earlier drafts of the Flash script, Cyborg was a much more active player than the one in the current script. Sources say the studio exercised its option for Flash, even upping its negotiated price for what’s described as a three-scene appearance. Fisher’s side countered with a figure doubling that. Warners turned that down, and negotiations have remained stalled for weeks.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-fisher-claims

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The plot thickens.

If this all turns out to be a negotiation tactic for Fisher's salary, I will have to insist that they make a movie about the making of the Justice League movie and its aftermath

Extraordinary Member

Interesting. That bit suggests I'm right, and that Fisher really has no case, and is most likely bitter at not being the big star he thought he should be. Tough. That happens all the time in Hollywood, and to people with a lot more evident talent than I saw from Fisher. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't especially good, either. He had none of Mamoa's charisma, and certainly none of the charisma you need to be a movie star. I had imagined that this came from his scenes being cut, and it seems I might be right. That, and a tense shoot, which of course it would be with Whedon tasked with redoing and finishing a movie judged in need of such by the company. Which for Fisher's information is their right. Basically, I think he was thrust into a difficult shoot/reshoot with a guy who apparently has a more top down approach than Snyder, and was surprised and dismayed by it, and made it into something a lot more than it actually was.

That's what it sounds like to me, and what it sounds like that article is hinting at.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The plot thickens.

If this all turns out to be a negotiation tactic for Fisher's salary, I will have to insist that they make a movie about the making of the Justice League movie and its aftermath
    If so, I'd say it was an incredibly stupid move. Fisher isn't going to be a big star, but he could have had a career as a backbencher. Now...he's going to be lucky to be hired by anyone for anything if he doesn't deliver. Not just by WB, but by anyone. Why hire a guy who frankly can be easily replaced, when he's just going to turn around and do that if he's not happy?

This isn't driving up his ask, it just created a do or die for him. Which is what I can't figure out. He can't be so dumb he doesn't understand that he bet his career on being able to show some big misconduct, probably Weinstein or Singer level. Just not liking Whedon's style won't cut it. Saying Johns and Berg "enabled"....something he won't specify...also won't cut it.

It’s interesting to me that some people are comparing this to John Boyega speaking out. If there is a racial element to this (Whedon did cut out most of the black characters and Cyborg’s arc) then that needs to be made clear.

Also Grace Randolph posted this video addressing the situation and it focuses more on the Geoff Johns side of things. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RN71gg0adiQ

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It’s interesting to me that some people are comparing this to John Boyega speaking out. If there is a racial element to this (Whedon did cut out most of the black characters and Cyborg’s arc) then that needs to be made clear.

Also Grace Randolph posted this video addressing the situation and it focuses more on the Geoff Johns side of things. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RN71gg0adiQ
    Grace Randolph doesn’t exactly have the greatest track record for accuracy. Not sure how much credibility I would give this.

Grace Randolph doesn’t exactly have the greatest track record for accuracy. Not sure how much credibility I would give this.
    Yeah I normally take her stuff with a grain of salt, but since she’s been reporting on Johns and the Justice League situation for a while now and her stories on this are usually corroborated I’m inclined to believe her on this one.

Incredible Member

That's a euphemistic way to describe her. This woman is full of shxt.

She have been championing for the Snyder Cut for sometime, and in that regard she did get some things righter than most, she even landed a interview with Snyder. I believe that at least when it comes to the Snyder Cut and Justice League she does have some good sources, from the opinions she have, probably someone close to Snyder.

And if what she says is true, everyone on the cast was displeased with the change of directors and Whedon, the only exception was Cavill that apparently didn't cared either way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    She have been championing for the Snyder Cut for sometime, and in that regard she did get some things righter than most, she even landed a interview with Snyder. I believe that at least when it comes to the Snyder Cut and Justice League she does have some good sources, from the opinions she have, probably someone close to Snyder.

And if what she says is true, everyone on the cast was displeased with the change of directors and Whedon, the only exception was Cavill that apparently didn't cared either way.
    If all the cast were displesed with Wheadon, I guess that means the main problem wasn't a racial one.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-24-2020 at 05:31 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If all the cast were displesed with Wheadon, I guess that means the main problem wasn't a racial one.
    But how displeased were they? If Whedon was going around like the fictional version of Captain Bligh, sure, but if they were just unhappy with the changes to the movie and new direction, does anybody here think that's a HR problem?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?