Page 84 of 130 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1949

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Did Game of Thrones have any controversy with the Greyworm character? He was one of the more prominent black characters in the show particularly in latter seasons and like the rest of the unsullied, did not have his "pillar and stones."
    Not dismissing Fisher entirely on this but we saw the extent of Cyborg's mutilation in BvS before either version of Justice League. But honestly, whether he's a eunuch or not, Cyborg is always physically mutilated in an extreme way. And its not a good look when all the white people in the league are these physically perfect sexy alpha males and females. And the one body horror character, is the black guy. People on this thread say its an inappropriate conversation to have, but it seems worth having. I see some troubling implications but I'm not sure if a line was crossed. I'd argue even if Victor still had all his "equipment" bellow the belt, he'd still have been a messy choice for this particular team.
    Aquaman went around with hook hand for years, his daughter just got a water leg, nobody made or makes an issue. In japanese manga characters look anything but Asiaan, Japanese dont have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is because Bendis is all about that TV and Movie money. Why else do you think he pushes his own creations so hard. Why do you think all his characters are created to be as PC friendly as possible. He is all about that cash. Bendis does not care one bit about comics.
    I have listened to many many hours of Word Balloon podcasts with Bendis and I think it is clear how much he loves comics.

Ultimate Member

That is because Bendis is all about that TV and Movie money. Why else do you think he pushes his own creations so hard. Why do you think all his characters are created to be as PC friendly as possible. He is all about that cash. Bendis does not care one bit about comics.
    He does care about comics.
    He is also the father to children of color.

Also He created Powers that was a tv show for Playstation and Sony before anyone heard of Miles.
    NOBODY expect Miles Morales to blow up especially with Sony refusing a black Spider-Man for a time.

All he did was the SAME thing MILESTONE did-see a need and try to fill it in.
    It's not Bendis's fault no one could or was allowed to do anything with Bumblebee or Vixen. So yes Naomi WALTZ in.

It's not Bendis's fault folks would rather see Storm warm Logan's bed and badmouth Black Panther or majority of black women at Marvel were background fodder for YEARS. So here comes not just Riri but Moon Girl and a revised Shuri.

Aquaman went around with hook hand for years, his daughter just got a water leg, nobody made or makes an issue.
    Aquaman is not BLACK.

Aquaman has held a book while he had that HOOK. Someone invested in expanding him beyond that hook.

Same with Barbara Gordon as Oracle.
    Same as Jessica Cruz with her issues.
    Same as Iceman, Midnighter, Apollo & America Chavez (sort of) as people who are LGBTQA.

That since New 52 has not been done with Cyborg and attempts were FOILED by editorial. Who wanted a diversity check point.

Astonishing Member

I do have the slight suspicion that this may have fed into Doom Patrol!Cyborg being substantially less machine.

And why Johns was such a petty jackass to Fisher about it (which I can absolutely believe)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I do have the slight suspicion that this may have fed into Doom Patrol!Cyborg being substantially less machine.

And why Johns was such a petty jackass to Fisher about it (which I can absolutely believe)
    So Fisher wanted Vic to be more machine then?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

If a character's own creator isn't willing to push them as hard as they can why would anyone else bother doing anything with them at all? Doing otherwise just feels like a lack of confidence or a loss of interest on the creator's end

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    So Fisher wanted Vic to be more machine then?
    Considering pretty much everyone in WB took one look at Whedon’s cut and realised they’d made a terrible mistake, I’d say probably Johns getting the message or quietly trying to cover his ass on that front

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Considering pretty much everyone in WB took one look at Whedon’s cut and realised they’d made a terrible mistake, I’d say probably Johns getting the message or quietly trying to cover his ass on that front
    Do we have a reliable source on that?

Amazing Member

Fisher's criticism in that tweet wasn't about Johns' actual stance re: Cyborg's genitals - Fisher didn't even mention where either of them stood on the issue. His criticism is that Johns positioned himself as an authority on the Black community. This was in response to Tucker saying that Johns tried to explain Black things to her.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perfidiously View Post
    Fisher's criticism in that tweet wasn't about Johns' actual stance re: Cyborg's genitals - Fisher didn't even mention where either of them stood on the issue. His criticism is that Johns positioned himself as an authority on the Black community. This was in response to Tucker saying that Johns tried to explain Black things to her.
    Yeah, this is an important clarification.

But considering that Cyborg's penis is, in fact, a subject of much conversation and concern in the black community means that what his stance was is still relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    If a character's own creator isn't willing to push them as hard as they can why would anyone else bother doing anything with them at all? Doing otherwise just feels like a lack of confidence or a loss of interest on the creator's end
    Bendis' creation are also work for hire anyway. There might be some sort of incentive payment, but he does not get direct money from his characters being adapted into movies or TV shows, nor do the vast majority of people who work at Marvel or DC.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm kind of having flashbacks of the "he lightened actors skin tones in post-production" thing, and it being the one thing Whedon's team shot down almost immediately.

It's definitely something that has the potential to be a very bad look for Johns. But if you're saying this much, why not say specifically what Johns' stance was on it instead of leaving it up to assumption? Just rephrased slightly or a follow up tweet would clear up a lot. It's vague when it doesn't have to be.
    We'll have to see if any further information on the subject comes up to clarify if this one is more substantial then the thing Whedon and post-production. However credible you or do not find Fisher (I find myself highly skeptical, due to how many times he's changed his story, but that's based on incomplete information), his post is so vague that it's hard to tell what he's getting at.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Thanks for this, I actually didn't know what he meant.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Did Game of Thrones have any controversy with the Greyworm character? He was one of the more prominent black characters in the show particularly in latter seasons and like the rest of the unsullied, did not have his "pillar and stones."
    Not dismissing Fisher entirely on this but we saw the extent of Cyborg's mutilation in BvS before either version of Justice League. But honestly, whether he's a eunuch or not, Cyborg is always physically mutilated in an extreme way. And its not a good look when all the white people in the league are these physically perfect sexy alpha males and females. And the one body horror character, is the black guy. People on this thread say its an inappropriate conversation to have, but it seems worth having. I see some troubling implications but I'm not sure if a line was crossed. I'd argue even if Victor still had all his "equipment" bellow the belt, he'd still have been a messy choice for this particular team.
    Actually yes.

I watched every episode of the show and followed some of the social media feedback and the topic came up often (bitterly).
    Don't complain. Create.